• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

Global Warming Happening More Slowly Than Previously Thought.........

I might have missed it, but has a single prediction from the climate change lobby actually occurred as predicted?

To me it all seems to be as scientifically prudent as astrology.

1 minute ago, SirGaz said:

I might have missed it, but has a single prediction from the climate change lobby actually occurred as predicted?

Nice phrase.

An essential requirement of decent science is that it knows its limits.  Weather forecasts are pretty accurate for five days and steadily less so in the five days beyond that so that's what the forecats is limited to.

Whereas based on tremendous amounts of assumptions we have been told authoritatively exactly where sea levels will be in fifty years depending upon the rate of carbon emissions and governments have leapt upon this as being factual by bringing in new legislation and taxes.

You may as well have Russell Grant doing it as you suggest.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nice phrase.

An essential requirement of decent science is that it knows its limits.  Weather forecasts are pretty accurate for five days and steadily less so in the five days beyond that so that's what the forecats is limited to.

Whereas based on tremendous amounts of assumptions we have been told authoritatively exactly where sea levels will be in fifty years depending upon the rate of carbon emissions and governments have leapt upon this as being factual by bringing in new legislation and taxes.

You're generous. I would say they are reliable up to 36 hours out. Useful up to 5 days. Completely worthless beyond that.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nice phrase.

The other problem is the goal of the science.

The goal of MMGW climate change is to create models that prove it is happening, whether  is/was or not.

To prove that islands would be underwater.

To prove that the ice caps would melt.

Then there are the aims. The aims seem to be as the result of the above to be able to impose additional taxation, restrictions and structures in place, some of which seem to dubious connections with climate change at all.

4 minutes ago, xyz said:

I've long thought that those that lean to the left politically have an unconscious desire to control others and have to convince themselves that they are doing it for morally superior reasons. It's why they despise anything not organised centrally such as private schools or health coverage.

Climate change is an opportunity to tell every one what they can and can't do with every aspect of their lives (there's carbon in everything you see) so it really is a perfect fit for them.

I've long maintained that it's completely akin to a religion. That's probably the principle reason I've always been dismissive of it.

There's also a great Dellingpole quote about every generation of humans believing that not only will they be the last, but they'll also be the cause of humanity's downfall. It's some kind of built in condition.

11 minutes ago, eight said:

I've long maintained that it's completely akin to a religion. That's probably the principle reason I've always been dismissive of it.

There's also a great Dellingpole quote about every generation of humans believing that not only will they be the last, but they'll also be the cause of humanity's downfall. It's some kind of built in condition.

Yes there's an aspect of that as well.

It's most slavishly followed by people who don't believe in religion and have no pride or sense of belonging to their race, country or national institutions.

AGW is a religion for many of the more cerebrally challenged.

We will have to set up Charities similar to those that rescue and de-programme ex Moonies and Scientologists to help the poor unfortunates as they slowly realise that they have been duped.

33 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nice phrase.

Well CO2 and Methane are greenhouse gasses. That is a fact.

Amount of CO2 has been increasing.

Climate is also getting milder.

The science will tell you for X ppm how much warmer the environment should be.

However there are all sorts of known and unknown unknowns. Such as carbon sinks, maybe extreme weather events reduce global warming too.

We may also be in a natural warming, or cooling trend.

There are regional trends, such as the little ice age.

All of this makes predictions problematic. However it seems like a good idea to control population and use energy more efficiently. Population control would be a big win, not providing all of the middle east and Africa lebensraum in Europe would be a good start.

11 minutes ago, davidg said:

Well CO2 and Methane are greenhouse gasses. That is a fact.

Amount of CO2 has been increasing.

Climate is also getting milder.

The science will tell you for X ppm how much warmer the environment should be.

However there are all sorts of known and unknown unknowns. Such as carbon sinks, maybe extreme weather events reduce global warming too.

We may also be in a natural warming, or cooling trend.

There are regional trends, such as the little ice age.

All of this makes predictions problematic. However it seems like a good idea to control population and use energy more efficiently. Population control would be a big win, not providing all of the middle east and Africa lebensraum in Europe would be a good start.

Simple economics will drive energy efficiency over time. In the absence of an immediate crisis I question how effective government intervention is "picking winners" in new energy tech. 

Energy efficient light bulbs was one farce we've all seen play out. All that effort getting us to switch to shit "efficient" lights that gave shit light.

Then LED's come along, and everybody starts switching to them because they're actually better.

What was the point of it all?

Edited by SpectrumFX

Just now, SpectrumFX said:

Energy efficient light bulbs was one farce we've all seen play out. All that effort getting is to switch to shit "efficient" lights that gave shit light.

If you watch Sci-Fi films it is nearly always gloomy in the future, presumably one prediction they got right: energy efficient light bulbs.

57 minutes ago, SirGaz said:

yes, these are the predictions for the UK -

Dryer

Wetter

Warmer

Colder

did they miss any? some got it right ;)

Edited by snagger

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

Simple economics will drive energy efficiency over time. In the absence of an immediate crisis I question how effective government intervention is "picking winners" in new energy tech. 

Energy efficient light bulbs was one farce we've all seen play out. All that effort getting us to switch to shit "efficient" lights that gave shit light.

Then LED's come along, and everybody starts switching to them because they're actually better.

There was something suspiciously evangelistic about the introduction of those shit light bulbs.

5 minutes ago, eight said:

There was something suspiciously evangelistic about the introduction of those shit light bulbs.

There is with all of this sort of thing.

I heard a radio call in on local rubbish collections and recycling rates (the council clearly angling to drop weekly rubbish collections) and caller after caller was talking about recycling as their new religion and that people who don't do it are variously stupid, lazy, or uneducated.

I don't do it; because where it has been properly and honestly researched it is found to use way more resources than it saves with the single exception of aluminium.

So that exception aside all of these happy clappy recyclers are actually damaging the environment by recycling.

Gullible idiots.