• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko2010

Cancelling Sky vs Kodi / Covenant

Quick question for those of you who have gone over to Kodi or Freesat etc after cancelling Sky or Virgin subs. Do you think it's worth it, if you're being completely honest?

Don't watch much TV at all, and am on the very basic Sky package that is costing about £22 a month + LR. I've gone through the cancellation process, half calling their bluff and half serious, just to see what has been offered and they've got it down to £13 + LR + £10 for fibre. I doubt they'll go any lower. Anyway, I bought a KODI box last year but I just find it really... shit. Unless I bought the wrong version, it feels dirty, slow, buggy and generally really low quality -  full of channels I've never heard of, broadcast via some ethnic hellhole like Turkey. I really don't get the fuss over it. I haven't tried Covenant. I'm tempted to try Freesat - is that any good?

I don't watch boxsets, dramas, soaps  or kids stuff, in fact all I really watch is documentaries (WW2) and movies (which I mostly get for free via Freeflix HQ or similar app), so I'm mindful I'm paying £150 a year a month for the privilege... There must be another way...

We went with an 'improved' Now TV box while in Essex, which worked quite well while linked to the broadband. However We relocated to Shropshire last year and the connection is now shit. Herself is examining alternative options for when we move to the new house next weekend.

I've got bt tv package. 

Need to have their line rental and internet (costing 34 pm - need to have a look at this)  this provides a box with Internet, free view, hard drive for recording.  Pay on demand stuff  the tv box is 6 pm.  Oh and but sports is thrown in for 'free'

then on top I have Netflix, through bt which is 7.50 pm multi device 

as a separate thing I have Amazon prime video.  

Still cant find anything to watch. xD

We have a 4G home setup (no cable here, only some old GPO phone lines and a cabinet with fibre to it, but it's 800m from the house, so in speed terms it might as well be 800 miles from the house. Something like 20 down 2 up with "fibre", maybe. Without "fibre", just ADSL, more like 1.5 down and 0.5 up.

4G works brilliantly, we get around 30 down and 45 up. It does cost £75 a month (100GB), though, plus a little know-how to wire it up as a permanent connection around the house. Streams TV very nicely.

We do that using an Apple iPhone and an Apple TV box. Put the phone in "AirPlay" mode, open the Amazon Prime app, start it playing, and it plays on the TV in HD.

It is buggy, so I bought one of those Fire TV sticks thinking I could just put that in the TV and use that to do the same thing.

It does play the same things, but the picture quality of much of it is unremittingly shite (very low frame rates, SD, glitchy, dizzying movement) , so we've abandoned that and gone back to the less convenient Apple setup. But then you can stream anything you can load on the phone, to the TV.

TV has a built-in YouTube app which works well.

11 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Quick question for those of you who have gone over to Kodi or Freesat etc after cancelling Sky or Virgin subs. Do you think it's worth it, if you're being completely honest?

Don't watch much TV at all, and am on the very basic Sky package that is costing about £22 a month + LR. I've gone through the cancellation process, half calling their bluff and half serious, just to see what has been offered and they've got it down to £13 + LR + £10 for fibre. I doubt they'll go any lower. Anyway, I bought a KODI box last year but I just find it really... shit. Unless I bought the wrong version, it feels dirty, slow, buggy and generally really low quality -  full of channels I've never heard of, broadcast via some ethnic hellhole like Turkey. I really don't get the fuss over it. I haven't tried Covenant. I'm tempted to try Freesat - is that any good?

I don't watch boxsets, dramas, soaps  or kids stuff, in fact all I really watch is documentaries (WW2) and movies (which I mostly get for free via Freeflix HQ or similar app), so I'm mindful I'm paying £150 a year a month for the privilege... There must be another way..

Well I have kodi + freesat. Freesat gets used very occasionally for stuff like dragons den and the apprentice. I run my old laptop as media player using kodi which is what I use to watch my vast collection of torrented films and series and for that job its fantastic. I also have a chromecast for the odd emergency when I have to resort to  actually fucking pay for something (thankfully a very rare occurence).

Was investigaintg my options again this morning as Sky never offered me a deal.

They came back to me and offered me the basic Sky package for £11 a month. I pointed out that I could buy a Now TV box for £10 - £15 which is 3 months of that same package.

Interestingly, they point blank refused to discuss a deal on broadband fibre - they claimed that they could not do it as it was a different dept.

A lot of my Sky was coming down via broadband rather than the dish. I suspect that they wanted to tie me into a TV contract and then screw me for a hefty broadband fibre plus BT line charge thing.

They seem incredbly arrogant and out of touch - there is a Talk Talk deal on for fibre at the moment. BT do them regularly. Then there are wif fi options from EE or Vodafone.

They currently have a good fibre deal including BT line rental but simply will not offer it to me. They have a policy of 6 months before they allow people to have the deals.

So currently that mindset means they must lose a lot of customers. Presumably enough stay to make it worthwhile.

I was just reading an article on ZH about a huge plunge in US cable customers as people go over to internet services like Netflix, Amazon, etc.

if you only watch movies and docs then a firestick with a decent build on it (firetvguru ain't bad) should see you good

a mate enjoys this setup, running it off an unlimited 3 mobile dongle at around £30 per month iirc

although admittedly his choices are currently pretty limited in his cell:D

All these companies will realise before long that giving big discounts to customers doesn't make them loyal long-term. They will just try again next year, and then eventually cancel when the deals stop coming. If I were Sky I would stop offering any sort of discount and just continue ripping off the existing loyal customers, many of whom would never consider leaving.

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

All these companies will realise before long that giving big discounts to customers doesn't make them loyal long-term. They will just try again next year, and then eventually cancel when the deals stop coming. If I were Sky I would stop offering any sort of discount and just continue ripping off the existing loyal customers, many of whom would never consider leaving.

Yep, my neighbours pay something liek £1300 a year to Sky and they still have their original box from 10 to 12 years ago. They now pay something like a tenner extra month so they will not have to pay any repair bills for said box.

I have told them about cancelling / going elsewhere / even simply buying a new box themselves and saving the tenner but - nope.

We use freesat for most, of our TV watching. Pretty much the same as freeview which we had before I succumbed and bought a satellite dish. We also have Talktalk TV that is included with our phone and broadband package. I've tried it once or twice but the non subscription package only gives a few channels. We also piggy back on our daughters Netflix package. She set it up in our house once to watch something, so now we have it as well, for free :) 

How does this "Plex" thing work. I've installed the media server but cant see how you download stuff to it or get TV on it.

coughIPTVcough 

I was a dirty disgusting cards/harer til that went tits up.

Ive now got a legit 18 month sky deal because it ended up kerrrrazily cheap.

The whole shebang for £24 a month. Due in most part to their utter incompetence.

If you get a goodIPTV supplier you can get good films on demand as well as decent sport. I find on demand films much more suitable than watching when Sky say its on. Functionality of Q box is decent though.

Best box forIPTV is a Mag254, can be purchased set up and ready to go. Good ADSL minimum requirement.

And, i think, you can still get Fox news onIPTV as we're not allowed to watch that anymore for some fucking reason.

Edited by shindigger

FYI - the Now TV boxes come with 3 months Sky - usually a choice of Sky Atlantic package or Sky Movies. They are regularly on deal for about £15. Sometimes £10.

I have not looked into it closely but on hotukdeals people seem to prefer using these to watch Sky. I think they just buy a few boxes at a time when they are on offer. Not sure - would need to look into it in detail.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

FYI - the Now TV boxes come with 3 months Sky - usually a choice of Sky Atlantic package or Sky Movies. They are regularly on deal for about £15. Sometimes £10.

I have not looked into it closely but on hotukdeals people seem to prefer using these to watch Sky. I think they just buy a few boxes at a time when they are on offer. Not sure - would need to look into it in detail.

When it looked like we were moving I was looking at what broadband was available in the new area. Now TV do phone/broadband packages now - I think it was something like £30 a month for phone, fibre broadband and their TV package.

11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I got a now tv box to smart an older tv. It had a 3 month ent pass on it. During the sign up i found it a bit of a minefield to negotiate without risking paying them more money. To such an extent that i think i accidentally cancelled the free pass almost instantly. Was a bit of a labyrinth.

Edited by shindigger

The new version of Kodi is much quicker than the old one  but needs updating regularly and a lot of the "good" apps have droped out   as for movies show box is brilliant via an android box not so good via a PC from my experience (this could just be me being dull as fuck when it comes to pc`s)

If your thing is movies an android box is worth it just for show box 

Edited by Long time lurking

11 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

The new version of Kodi is much quicker than the old one  but needs updating regularly and a lot of the "good" apps have droped out   as for movies show box is brilliant via an android box not so good via a PC from my experience (this could just be me being dull as fuck when it comes to pc`s)

If your thing is movies an android box is worth it just for show box 

My experience was that the sport got worse on Kodi. But on demand movies, i always had a fair bit of luck with.

The Big Short was an early favourite.

I think sport on kodi requires de-brid or whatever its called.

I will re evaluate all this when the sky deal ends, and hopefully the tech will have moved in some.

Though to be honest its cheap enough to dabble alongside anyway really.

22 minutes ago, shindigger said:

My experience was that the sport got worse on Kodi. But on demand movies, i always had a fair bit of luck with.

The Big Short was an early favourite.

I think sport on kodi requires de-brid or whatever its called.

I will re evaluate all this when the sky deal ends, and hopefully the tech will have moved in some.

Though to be honest its cheap enough to dabble alongside anyway really.

Sport has always been the dedicated streaming sites like cric free ..stream 365 and the like for me basicaly they are all the same sites that Kodi relies on but you never get the same quality via Kodi for some reason  so i tend to use chrome cast  and the lap top  but chrome cast can be a bit hit and miss 

For movies/ documentaries it`s show box all the way via an android box for me  

39 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Sport has always been the dedicated streaming sites like cric free ..stream 365 and the like for me basicaly they are all the same sites that Kodi relies on but you never get the same quality via Kodi for some reason  so i tend to use chrome cast  and the lap top  but chrome cast can be a bit hit and miss 

For movies/ documentaries it`s show box all the way via an android box for me  

Try maniahd.rocks...HD streaming too..

Movie steaming has gone down hill big time recently. I have sky adsl. Impossible to watch online movie in the evening on the kodobox. Perhaps sky are throttling it. Amazon prime works fine on my sky adsl 

3 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Movie steaming has gone down hill big time recently. I have sky adsl. Impossible to watch online movie in the evening on the kodobox. Perhaps sky are throttling it. Amazon prime works fine on my sky adsl 

They will be.

Techkings is a great forum for info on this stuff.

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I think Sky is fighting to stop the inevitable - cheaper prices for internet and for TV services.

They, however, have sucha dominant position in the UK and incredible 'patronage' with politicians that they are not being challenged in the ways they should be. You can tell that MP's all get their packages paid for out of their expenses because if they had to jump through hoops like us mere mortals they would be changing things.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

3 hours ago, One percent said:

I've got bt tv package. 

Need to have their line rental and internet (costing 34 pm - need to have a look at this)  this provides a box with Internet, free view, hard drive for recording.  Pay on demand stuff  the tv box is 6 pm.  Oh and but sports is thrown in for 'free'

I've got the same, only I don't use the TV box as it doesn't have wifi, I mean what fucking year is this? everything has wifi these days,  but not BT youview boxes it seems. I use Amazon firesticks instead, not interested in the free-view channels anyway.

Edited by snagger

17 minutes ago, snagger said:

I've got the same, only I don't use the TV box as it doesn't have wifi, I mean what fucking year is this? everything has wifi these days,  but not BT youview boxes it seems. I use Amazon firesticks instead, not interested in the free-view channels anyway.

It came with those plug things that use your mains sockets as a wired connection. Works well. 

Just saw the Sky advert for their £25 a month fibre broadband - noticed that they have removed the words 'for new customers only' from the smallprint at the bottom of the screen and the voice-over says it is available if you renew your TV. So will give them a call in the morning to find out what this means.

I dream of fibre broadband. Frankly, I dream of normal broadband.

Here's the best that BT can offer me.... the figure on the right more closely resembles real life performance.... I like the way they call it "Great News"

Screenshot-2017-9-19 Check Broadband Availability with BT BT Broadband.png

Edited by InLikeFlynn