DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Longer term let in Spain or Portugal?

Mirror Mirror

Question

Mirror Mirror

Where could I look to find some longer term lets in Spain or Portugal, somewhere to overwinter, and put out feelers for pastures new? Obviously places like Booking.com just show holiday prices, what if you want somewhere to live, semi permanently?

9 answers to this question

Wight Flight

Most areas will have a local forum. Try posting there.

Www.Carvoeiro.com is one I used to be quite active on - and it is a really nice area.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 2

On 23/09/2021 at 15:20, nirvana said:

how much do they go for? cheers

"Prices may vary" :P Summer is always a premium etc... Suggestions were :

Homeaway (now VRBO) https://www.tripping.com/industry/rental-companies/homeaway but see feedback https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10700-k11086940-Do_NOT_book_through_HomeAway_or_VRBO-Timeshares_Vacation_Rentals.html

Also Airbnb 9_9 

• Cheers 2

facebook....

or airbnb....book somewhere just for a day or 2 and if u like it negotiate a longer let, direct

Edited by nirvana
  • Cheers 1

belfastchild
3 hours ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Where could I look to find some longer term lets in Spain or Portugal, somewhere to overwinter, and put out feelers for pastures new? Obviously places like Booking.com just show holiday prices, what if you want somewhere to live, semi permanently?

Spanish estate agents. I usually just search 'aquilar' + placename to see whats available to the locals.

I used to do this in Tenerife many years ago, spend most of Dec/Jan/Feb out there. Was looking to do it this year coming somewhere in the canaries but covid, shortages, no tourism etc.
Car hire places will also do you a monthly deal off season if you ask them nicely and join the local renters club.

Like here a lot of places want a year tenancy but if they are stuck they might go for a 2-3 month over the winter. There are the equivalent of the US/Canada snowbird agencies that will set you up in a hotel b+b for a month for what you would normally pay for a week going through a uk agency. I remember getting b+b in a 4 star spanish only resort in salou for a week for around a hundred quid in early May one year the week before tourist flights started for the season.

Right now I wouldnt be surprised if people wouldnt pay you to look after some places as they may have been empty for a while. Thats whats really putting me off going to some of the places Ive been before, even in winter the tourist pound/euro/rouble keeps enough going to supply busses to areas, a handful of restaurants etc but wouldnt like to hazard a guess now.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

I know a lass who manages a few apartments in Portugal, several are normally short-term holiday rentals Airbnb but for the past 18 months some have been rented out on 6+ month contracts for folk wanting a base in the sun / remote WFH etc.

• Cheers 2

Democorruptcy
3 hours ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Thanks for all the answers so far, some great leads there!

@Wight Flight yes I stayed in Benagil a few years ago, and it was all very nice back then.

Re long term lets, have you got the right to reside in Spain or Portugal for more than 90 days in 180? Maybe a landlord might check whether you are legal or not.

18 hours ago, Andersen said:

I know a lass who manages a few apartments in Portugal, several are normally short-term holiday rentals Airbnb but for the past 18 months some have been rented out on 6+ month contracts for folk wanting a base in the sun / remote WFH etc.

how much do they go for? cheers