• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Mexico earthquake - looks like some buildings have collapsed

20 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Wow, intense wobble on this one, but perhaps that is intentional - it flexes but does not break! Wouldn't fancy being in it though, no wonder people were leaving in a hurry!

7.1 quake according to initial readings at the USGS

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000ar20#shakemap

6 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Wow, intense wobble on this one, but perhaps that is intentional - it flexes but does not break! Wouldn't fancy being in it though, no wonder people were leaving in a hurry!

You can see the trees, road signs and all the traffic lights gyrating as well.

Edited by Virgil Caine

6 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Although not as big as the recent quake off the Mexican coast this one was quite shallow in depth and they are often the most destructive. Almost certain to have killed more people than those Hurricanes in the Caribbean 

Let's hope that you are wrong.

2 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

Some awfully constructed buildings still allowed there.

As a poster said, nowadays they are engineered to wobble rather than break.

Apparently any building built post 1985 (when then significantly improved the building codes) was very likely to survive.  But, it seems that  people thought that if a building survived 1985 then it'd probably be okay in an earthquake.

But there seems to be an interesting wavelength thing going on -- the 1985 quake was quite low frequency motion, so more likely to resonate longer (taller) structures.  This earthquake was nearer and had much more relatively higher frequency components to the motion, so more likely to resonate shorter structures.

Hence older, shorter buildings were more likely to survive 1985, less likely to survive 2017.

Or something.

CCTV footage of the inside of a church collapsing. The interesting bit to me is right at the end when, just above what looks like a strong doorway in which you would perhaps take cover, it just crumbles. If you had been under that thinking you were safe you would be no more.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=254_1506648841

20 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

CCTV footage of the inside of a church collapsing. The interesting bit to me is right at the end when, just above what looks like a strong doorway in which you would perhaps take cover, it just crumbles. If you had been under that thinking you were safe you would be no more.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=254_1506648841

I'd have thought that a doorway would be a weak point in the wall, not a strong one.