DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The absolute state of the UK property market.

swiss_democracy_for_all

swiss_democracy_for_all

I received a promotional email today for building plots being sold nearly Camberley in Surrey. It's of no interest to me, but I thought I'd look anyway for a laugh. WTF, it makes the houses in Stoke posted by @King Penda look like good value.

They want 430-600k for each generous-sized plot (their words, but when you read carefully, they're 2200sq ft (pathetic-sized) to 3200 sq ft (just about doable for a detached but definitely not generous)).

They have the brass neck to use the photo below in the promotional email. For the development to look like that, each plot would need to be at least 7000-8000 sq ft, probably more.

So anyway, with build costs and the rest considered, you can get yourself a brand new shoebox near Camberley for about a million quid. FFS. 

image.png.705f0dafd10c23944fcbdd245073ae36.png

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
swiss_democracy_for_all
8 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Those plots are about the size of the plot of the house I grew up in, i.e. what used to be considered a fairly average plot for a family home.

Which plots - the ones in the picture(7-8000 sq ft or more), or the real ones being sold (2200-3200 sq ft)?

It's true that you can put a reasonable house on a 3200 sq ft plot with a small-medium garden, but you certainly can't build anything that looks like the houses in the picture. 

6 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Which plots - the ones in the picture(7-8000 sq ft or more), or the real ones being sold (2200-3200 sq ft)?

It's true that you can put a reasonable house on a 3200 sq ft plot with a small-medium garden, but you certainly can't build anything that looks like the houses in the picture. 

The real ones being sold ~3000 sq ft but that was for a 3 bed link detached not a 4, 5 or 6 bed place like shown in the picture.

4 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I received a promotional email today for building plots being sold nearly Camberley in Surrey. It's of no interest to me, but I thought I'd look anyway for a laugh. WTF, it makes the houses in Stoke posted by @King Penda look like good value.

They want 430-600k for each generous-sized plot (their words, but when you read carefully, they're 2200sq ft (pathetic-sized) to 3200 sq ft (just about doable for a detached but definitely not generous)).

They have the brass neck to use the photo below in the promotional email. For the development to look like that, each plot would need to be at least 7000-8000 sq ft, probably more.

So anyway, with build costs and the rest considered, you can get yourself a brand new shoebox near Camberley for about a million quid. FFS. 

I got that email, i was going to post it but i just thought forget it, but half a million quid or more for a bit of land is sickening.

3 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

What if they have no front garden, a postage stamp back garden and no garage.

i.e your average new build.

Was watching some US tv show last night where they do their current house up and then buy something bigger. £400,000 got something far bigger than those in the photo, and came with a pool. Was just a 10 minute drive to the centre of the city so ideal location. (forget which one)

5 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Builders selling off parts of their land banks with planning permission because they know a crash is coming and if they build the houses they won't be able to sell them for the price they need.

The government's latest idea of helping people build their own house is another reason.

Sell the land and walk away with no liabity for whatever is built (or half built) on it.

700k for a 2 bed in kingston upon thames on a tiny plot.. my great auntie paid 12k for it.. now selling for 700k.. its fucking crazy how far they push this corruption and the young just take it like its normal..

Germans are trying to catch up with us, love the way prices are rising at insane levels due to people working from him, and the MSM ignore the helicopter money. Bunch of cunz.

image.png.55866e58fbfcac9e21a67f4c2c350208.png

image.png.1a8a6d767f8396308a18e7124e1caae9.png

image.png.f957bf848ef65ba373e0687bb26cbdc2.png

On 23/09/2021 at 10:57, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Just worked out £1m spent on a hotel room at £75 a night would give you about 36 years...no maintenance, no awkward neighbours, and no negative equity....and on top of that you could pretend to be Barbara Cartland!

20 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

Just worked out £1m spent on a hotel room at £75 a night would give you about 36 years

I would really like a holiday home out in the sticks. I always give up when I work out I could stay in a nice hotel with breakfast for less than I would pay in council tax alone.

With a crooked smile
5 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I would really like a holiday home out in the sticks. I always give up when I work out I could stay in a nice hotel with breakfast for less than I would pay in council tax alone

You don't pay council tax on holiday let's. 

On 24/09/2021 at 12:05, UmBongo said:

If I follow @Frank Hovis `s advice and only consider freehold properties then this is one of the cheaper options in my search area:

1 bedroom house in Norfolk

8.5 x my annual salary. Even with the decent deposit it's still a stretch. 

Fucking nuts what’s the avarage wage your way

On 23/09/2021 at 15:14, Hancock said:

I got that email, i was going to post it but i just thought forget it, but half a million quid or more for a bit of land is sickening.

Only 4 plots left too, crazy!

• 2 weeks later...
PatronizingGit
On 23/09/2021 at 15:18, Hancock said:

What if they have no front garden, a postage stamp back garden and no garage.

i.e your average new build.

Was watching some US tv show last night where they do their current house up and then buy something bigger. £400,000 got something far bigger than those in the photo, and came with a pool. Was just a 10 minute drive to the centre of the city so ideal location. (forget which one)

Trouble in the US is you have to be very alert to the demographics of an area. I recall looking on trulia or somesuch in 2011, seeing massive Mcmansions in suburban Atlanta for under $100k. A lot of these 'subdivisions' were built in the 80s and early 90s initially as white (defacto, not by law) suburbs, but, thanks to lots of loans being made to africans who perhaps werent deserving of loans, were, by the 2000s housing bubble, largely black. Look on city-data for the zip code & these outwardly picture perfect looking areas were 70, 80, even 90% african. "10 minute drive from city centre' usually means 'not many whites' ( there are the odd 'conservation zones'...i think the bush family have a house in a white enclave just north of central Dallas amongst a sea of non-white areas, but even then, you run the risk of ending up like this guy Lawyer couple who pointed gun at BLM protesters blasts prosecutors for ‘protecting criminals’ and targeting law abiders (thesun.co.uk) )

Maybe it will be OK for whites to buy and live in these houses, maybe not. But I'll guarantee you if you have a white kid in a 90% african school district, that white kids school life will be a living hell. 

That said, same is happening here. I've been interested in houses ive seen before, only to find i'd be a racial minority in that postcode. Doesnt matter how nice the house is. A cul-de-sac full of hyperactive little black sprogs isnt for me. 

On 24/09/2021 at 19:33, MrXxxx said:

Just worked out £1m spent on a hotel room at £75 a night would give you about 36 years...no maintenance, no awkward neighbours, and no negative equity....and on top of that you could pretend to be Barbara Cartland!

Have you seen the price of holidays recently😂

75 quid will get you a single room just big enough to swing a cat in leicester suburbs. 

1 hour ago, Ghostly said:

There is a floor plan.

ah yes, its appeared now, when i first opened it it said 'no floor plan', weird.

but anyway, they obviously dont want to sell it on the strength of the house if they arent even going to show it inside.

Archived