• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
This Time

Fitness tracker recommendations?

I'm mostly looking for continuous heart rate monitoring, accurate step counting and comfort (the princess and the pea could be about me). Good sleep monitoring would also be a big plus. I can't run or cycle and am unlikely to be doing a lot in the way of walking before it would need replacing so fancy workout features and GPS tracking aren't necessary. I'm looking to replace a Jawbone Up3 which has terrible heart rate tracking (only measures it when I'm still and it feels like it), consistently under counts steps by about 20%, has good sleep tracking but has become too uncomfortable to wear while sleeping, is always coming undone and has become harder and harder to charge. I panic bought a cheapy one when my Jawbone wouldn't charge at all the other day but it's so shit that it thinks I'm walking around when I'm sitting in bed so I'll be sending that back. That experience means I'm willing to spend a bit of money on it but not much north of £100.

I'm thinking of getting the Fitbit Alta HR - anyone got any experience with it or any other suggestions?

Ooh - watches closely.

I had a Fitbit Ultra (fell apart after much use) and after my Fitbit One had a second frolic in the washing machine it has stopped working after four or so years.  These are both the little clip on ones so I know nothing about the wrist ones which seem to have taken over and I am probably going to end up getting; though I remain hopeful that my One (currnetly placed on top of my dehumidifier) may return to life eventually.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Ooh - watches closely.

I had a Fitbit Ultra (fell apart after much use) and after my Fitbit One had a second frolic in the washing machine it has stopped working after four or so years.  These are both the little clip on ones so I know nothing about the wrist ones which seem to have taken over and I am probably going to end up getting; though I remain hopeful that my One (currnetly placed on top of my dehumidifier) may return to life eventually.

I had a clip-on Fitbit Ultra which I lost. I contacted them telling them I'd lost it and to ask if I could just buy a replacement unit on its own without the USB hub thing. They sent me a new boxed one free of charge. Awesome service. It was about 3-4 years ago when they were trying to establish themselves so they may have been more generous then, but might be worth a try. 

ETA: I don't use the Ultra any more and it has barely been used as I use my phone - you're welcome to it if you PM me your address.

Edited by The Idiocrat

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Ooh - watches closely.

My wife's Fitbit One went through the washing machine and after drying with a cloth we packed it in (uncooked!) rice. The rice was noticeably damp after a few hours so repacked in fresh, left it overnight, charged up and has worked OK since.   

I have the Alta HR.  Pro's - it's a nice slim little watch, step counter and heart rate monitor is pretty accurate for me, I also like the silent alarm and reminders to walk every hour. Cons - you cannot see the display in bright light - this is a known issue (but one I didn't know about!) also for me the sleep monitoring isn't good. I have a low  heart rate so it often records me as asleep when I'm watching TV or reading a book. The Charge HR was purchased by Mr Dipsy the other week as he wanted GPS connectivity via his iPhone - it's bigger but has the same display visibility problems, but is on offer at Argos at the moment for £110.

23 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I have the Alta HR.  Pro's - it's a nice slim little watch, step counter and heart rate monitor is pretty accurate for me, I also like the silent alarm and reminders to walk every hour. Cons - you cannot see the display in bright light - this is a known issue (but one I didn't know about!) also for me the sleep monitoring isn't good. I have a low  heart rate so it often records me as asleep when I'm watching TV or reading a book. The Charge HR was purchased by Mr Dipsy the other week as he wanted GPS connectivity via his iPhone - it's bigger but has the same display visibility problems, but is on offer at Argos at the moment for £110.

Thanks, how's the Alta HR for comfort? Is it the Charge 2 your husband has? I've been looking at that one too, it has more features and is actually £16 cheaper on Amazon. Is it as comfortable as the Alta?

48 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

I had a clip-on Fitbit Ultra which I lost. I contacted them telling them I'd lost it and to ask if I could just buy a replacement unit on its own without the USB hub thing. They sent me a new boxed one free of charge. Awesome service. It was about 3-4 years ago when they were trying to establish themselves so they may have been more generous then, but might be worth a try. 

ETA: I don't use the Ultra any more and it has barely been used as I use my phone - you're welcome to it if you PM me your address.

That's hugely generous sir, PM sent.

36 minutes ago, Duck said:

My wife's Fitbit One went through the washing machine and after drying with a cloth we packed it in (uncooked!) rice. The rice was noticeably damp after a few hours so repacked in fresh, left it overnight, charged up and has worked OK since.   

That worked for me the first time but this second time, whilst it came out working (a mixed fibres wash gives you 1762 steps btw), I put it straight in the rice for a few days, then sunshine and now dehumidifier have all failed to bring back the display again.  My own stupid fault and I see it as having six months bonus use through surviving the first time.

It didn't feel at all damp as both times it was in its holder which provides a good seal so it may be a physical break from the spin cycle.

7 minutes ago, This Time said:

Thanks, how's the Alta HR for comfort? Is it the Charge 2 your husband has? I've been looking at that one too, it has more features and is actually £16 cheaper on Amazon. Is it as comfortable as the Alta?

The Alta is very comfortable, I don't notice I'm wearing it until it alarms me to get up and have a walk. Yes Mr Dipsy has the Charge 2, he hasn't said anything negative about the comfort of it - I've not tried it so I can't compare.