DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 3)

spunko

54 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/netherlands-pension-fund-abp-fossil-fuel/update-1-dutch-pension-fund-abp-to-sell-17-5-bln-of-fossil-fuel-assets-idUSL1N2RM0D1

What do they think these companies are going to do, wait until the last minute and then disappear overnight?

These funds that 'divest from fossil fuels therefore we are holy' really get on my wick. They change absolutely nothing apart from altering the fund's rate of return for better or worse. All they've done is sold existing shares they bought in the secondary market back on to the secondary market. Big fucking deal, what actual difference does it make to your 'we are concerned about global warming' shite or to the company in question that already got the money long time ago in an IPO or secondary market offering? The square root of fuck all.

All they should be concerned with is managing their investments to deliver the returns needed to fulfil their pension liabilities full stop. Anything else is just virtuous willy waving.

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Those US figures looked high to my untrained eye and the nuances you explain make a lot more sense.

I saw a Cathy Wood video earlier hence my comment,and much as she has made a lot of people a lot of moeny,she really didn't strike me as a commentator with a direct understanding of the marekts she was calling a deflationary crash for -oil and convetional cars.

Don't get me worng,leccy cars are here to stay,but Wood doesn't even gloss over the way all car production will be electric by 2030,she jsut doesn't discuss it.Focuses on the price of new leccy/diesel cars being the same in 2026 no mention of the infrastrcuture needed to refuel etc....

Here's the video-Wood predicting a deflationary collapse especially in legacy automakers.I can't say too much as I'm predicting a deflationary BK event myself,but for totally different reasons and I believe Wood will be 80% down not Volkswagen

Cathie Woods comes across as a loon who got v v lucky.

1 hour ago, MrXxxx said:

Remind me, has this company `turned` a profit yet?...like the 2000s tech bubble over again.

Tesla is grossly overvalued  - on current production.

However it has made a profit -

Electric car maker Tesla has brushed off supply chain issues and the global microchip shortage to report record quarterly sales and profits.

Revenues rose to $13.76bn in the third quarter of the year, up from $8.77bn 12 months earlier.

The company, led by billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk, posted a net profit of $1.6bn and sold 241,391 cars.

And when you look at its production costs, future demand and the state of its competitors - who are basically fucking useless (see chip crisis), have large low productive workforce and a large expensive management structure, you can see the attraction.

Kudos to cokey, thats hes managed to cycle thru a few designs in the time it takes a GM to decide to hage the chap of of the fag holder.

HousePriceMania
Market Summary > Petrofac Limited
124.42 GBX−33.58 (21.25%)today

:/
33 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

American Express are increasing the interest rate on my credit card by 197 basis points! What do they know?

That poor people gotta eat ?

2 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

Remind me, has this company `turned` a profit yet?...like the 2000s tech bubble over again.

No, they haven't. Their accounts may say that they have, but their accounts are top to bottom fraud.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000095017021002253/tsla-20210930.htm

Accounts receivable nearly $2bn, when the vast majority of their "sales" are in cash.

$13bn in accounts payable and deferred liabilities, an increase of $4bn on the last Q.

To be honest though, discussing Tesla's accounts is like debating the 0-60 time of Santa's sleigh. Since they are both essentially fantasy, they can be whatever you want them to be.

Raising the national living wage (applies to those over 23) will reduce universal credit payments due to the minimum income floor:

https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/universal-credit/guidance/entitlement-to-uc/self-employment/minimum-income-floor/

"For UC purposes, if a person is in gainful self-employment in an assessment period, and their earned income (ie their gross profits along with any employed earnings) in that assessment period amounts to less than their individual earnings threshold (the minimum income floor, MIF), they are treated as having earned income equal to the MIF"

This will likely hit a lot of the nail technician, the dog walker and the cup cake makers.

This news about BP, British Airways and sustainable fuels may have already been covered:

https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/news-and-insights/reimagining-energy/bp-in-collaboration-with-ba-on-sustainable-aviation-fuel.html

Emma Delaney, bp’s EVP of customers & products, comments on the significance of our new deal with British Airways in the drive to decarbonize the skies

HousePriceMania
2 minutes ago, GTM said:

No, they haven't. Their accounts may say that they have, but their accounts are top to bottom fraud.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000095017021002253/tsla-20210930.htm

Accounts receivable nearly $2bn, when the vast majority of their "sales" are in cash.

$13bn in accounts payable and deferred liabilities, an increase of $4bn on the last Q.

To be honest though, discussing Tesla's accounts is like debating the 0-60 time of Santa's sleigh. Since they are both essentially fantasy, they can be whatever you want them to be.

Musk reminds me of someone...

How FBI cocaine sting was undoing of John DeLorean and his futuristic car  firm

18 minutes ago, GTM said:

Take out the bitcoin sales and the selling electricity/leasing for their cars and the 'profit' is gone. Never mind being a subsidy junkie (hence the move to Texas). Jackanory springs to mind.

It wont be the first time I mention them and Worldcom in the same breath (and I used to work with Worldcom).

10 hours ago, JMD said:

Sounds nice. Please clarify whether I should use as pizza topping or pie filling?

It’s just something to keep kids going between meals.

Like a posh Milky Way.

13 hours ago, Starsend said:

If you pay enough so that it buys a modest life, say a 3 bed semi and  holiday once a year, ya know, like wot it used to be, there'd be no shortage of takers. Never was, just people unwilling to work for fuck all.

Dunno things have changed drastically since then, kids who got mucky had parents who done so and they encouraged it as they themselves done OK out of it ... but the same parents now see doing physical labour as a way to an early grave for fuck all reward.

Not to mention the fact that half the kids go to university meaning they're too good for it, and plenty are seemingly happy to work in call centres or supermarkets these days.

To top it all, that modest life you talk of needs the salary of a doctor or lawyer in many parts of the country, hence "stuff" will still be cheaper to make overseas!

1 hour ago, moneyscam said:

These funds that 'divest from fossil fuels therefore we are holy' really get on my wick. They change absolutely nothing apart from altering the fund's rate of return for better or worse. All they've done is sold existing shares they bought in the secondary market back on to the secondary market. Big fucking deal, what actual difference does it make to your 'we are concerned about global warming' shite or to the company in question that already got the money long time ago in an IPO or secondary market offering? The square root of fuck all.

All they should be concerned with is managing their investments to deliver the returns needed to fulfil their pension liabilities full stop. Anything else is just virtuous willy waving.

Long may it be so.They have removed themselves from the macro,and have turned into useless retail investors.Future is electric,oil shares are dead.Its how retail investors usually operate thinking they are the only ones seeing it and ahead of the game.

Iv said it before,but Tesla etc make no difference to oil and gas demand.Indians getting a fridge is about 100 times more important.

Tesla etc have done amazing from loose money.They can issue shares at ludicrous prices instead of debt and get a huge advantage over the competition and attract great workers with share options.Others will copy the tech though.They had a cash outflow again this quarter.

HousePriceMania
1 hour ago, invalid said:

Share price down 21% today - wow.

Seems there is going to be some option given to share holders

Anyone any thoughts on wether to take it up ?

On 24/10/2021 at 20:53, Bobthebuilder said:

Its probably right. I had a quote for 2.5 meter concertina bifold extension doors recently, £24,000 fitted, I had to do the building prep work.

for me those concertina doors are a 'keep up with the jones'/'trendy dick' mistake lol

ie I put a big extension on the back of a big house and copied a 'posh twat mate'....the doors were shit cos they either need to be 'open lots' or closed, even when one door is open you need to wedge it with something or else it'll get smashed in the wind

Another posh mate put some large traditional patio doors in and they were SO much better......more glass, less frames and ie you can just leave it open slightly to get some air in....

ah them were the days when I was a posh cunt.....now it's just about being a cunt xD

edit: i just had a flashback lol, they need to concertina externally, so the first door opens outwards and that is why it's susceptible to the wind.....if your pad is REALLY big you can maybe make em concertina inwards and that'll be better....but that's like Robbie Fowlers old pad probs :P 

3 minutes ago, nirvana said:

for me those concertina doors are a 'keep up with the jones'/'trendy dick' mistake lol

ie I put a big extension on the back of a big house and copied a 'posh twat mate'....the doors were shit cos they either need to be 'open lots' or closed, even when one door is open you need to wedge it with something or else it'll get smashed in the wind

Another posh mate put some large traditional patio doors in and they were SO much better......more glass, less frames and ie you can just leave it open slightly to get some air in....

ah them were the days when I was a posh cunt.....now it's just about being a cunt xD

Whole back of my downstairs is  patio doors and windows right across the back.Like you say lovely in summer just opening onto the back garden,but wind is a killer,i drilled two holes into the patio that two bars drop in to secure when open.Cost me £1600 new,cash in hand to the bloke in the window factory and my mate fitting them with me labouring.

9 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Cost me £1600 new,cash in hand to the bloke in the window factory and my mate fitting them with me labouring.

I saw that crazy post re the £120k attic conversion

I had a really good one done on a 3 bed semi in Leeds in the 90s, complete with dormer and staircase that looked like it could have been there from the start......sure it was £8k cash in hand...

house sold for circa £90k in 99...last time it went for over £300k I think....fuking bankers eh lol

1 hour ago, nirvana said:

edit: i just had a flashback lol, they need to concertina externally, so the first door opens outwards and that is why it's susceptible to the wind.....if your pad is REALLY big you can maybe make em concertina inwards and that'll be better....but that's like Robbie Fowlers old pad probs :P 

I was thinking about that. My Garden faces South so I thought yeah would be good to open out onto the patio. On a hill though so patio 4 bricks lower I think. So not really a continuous threshold but don’t want water ingress.

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Ash4781b said:

I was thinking about that. My Garden faces South so I thought yeah would be good to open out onto the patio. On a hill though so patio 4 bricks lower I think. So not really a continuous threshold but don’t want water ingress.

Back of my house faces North and the garden slope up away from the house, bifold doors are not an issue as it is dark 'n' damp.

I've got bifolds and to handle the wind they have a heavy duty magnet that keeps the first panel open against the second. Very handy in summer too when it's blazing and you can open them fully (south facing).

Bobthebuilder
2 hours ago, nirvana said:

Agree. Black aluminum that will go out of fashion quicker than an avocado bath suit.

I didn't go for the quote by the way, going to have them made out of wood by a local joinery company for a lot less money.

I will bear in mind the wind chaps, good tip.

@Cattle ProdI sold my CNA off last week, first profit I've made on them. Will keep an eye on the price for a while. Cheers.

Archived