DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 3)

spunko

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/01/2022 at 10:00, Cattle Prod said:

To add: just by saying "windfall tax", you deter investment: "opposition party has threatened windfall tax" will literally go into the risk report that is done before every major investment, and the score for UK risks will have gone up. Taxes are the major component of this risk profile, and the big no-no is tinkering or grandfathering taxes, because companies have to make multi decade investments, and require fiscal stability to make the investment, and plan the project life. We will run an economic model for 20,30,40 years before even drilling the first well.  The UK has tinkered with taxes a lot over the last ten years, and is one of the reasons the supermajors have been divesting. Put simply, they will be happier working in a country with a high risk of coups etc, as long as the fiscal regime stays stable. And there are many 'unstable' countries out there who keep their fiscal regime stable for this exact reason. The other point is that the time to grab taxes, if you really have to, is when the countrys production is rising. Then new entrants will swallow it. UK production is in decline, and has been for 20 years. It's totally pointless, but you can count on labour to make it worse.

What a depressing read that psot was.Your logic is compelling.Whilst as a shareholder,it's good to see the companies avoid thse pitfalls but it jsut reminded me,(as if I really need reminding after 2 years of masks and lockdown) about how utterly incompetent our politicians are.Maybe we would be better off if Pfizer rant the health service or BP ran energy policy.

3 hours ago, Transistor Man said:

It’s just terminology, but The “melt up” that DH refers to, is a near term equity run-up I.e. S&P to 6000. 

Not the post-BK, commodities to the moon phase. 

One other thing to remember about David Hunter's predictions is they apply to the US.  I don't think he thinks about the FTSE, so when he talks about a melt-up he's really talking about the S&P and the FAANGS etc.  If they then fall 80% which he also predicted then I doubt our reflation stocks will fall by anywhere near the same amount especially as there will be some people getting out of the FAANGS when they see the bust coming and going to value stocks.

Also according to Max Keiser (sorry no link) there are many "unicorn" stocks in the US which have yet to make a profit and many of these will sink without a trace ie go bust.  These are mostly NASDAQ tech type stocks.

Joncrete Cungle
5 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

https://amp.ft.com/content/437d322c-4fe5-4ee2-9943-e279ed209707

Pets are in bubble territory just as tech and the fangs, you’ll have to wait for the BK.

You can’t even light cash anymore when it becomes increasingly worthless to keep warm (maybe that was all part of the plan) :ph34r:

It's currently more profitable to turn the crops we grow into petfood than it is to put it in the human food chain....

11 minutes ago, Joncrete Cungle said:

It's currently more profitable to turn the crops we grow into petfood than it is to put it in the human food chain....

Thats reminded me that i read about 10 years ago that high fuel prices were leading to famine. Not just cost of food but agricultural land started producing crop for bio.fuels and bio diesels. Sad really.

Joncrete Cungle
Just now, CannonFodder said:

Thats reminded me that i read about 10 years ago that high fuel prices were leading to famine. Not just cost of food but agricultural land started producing crop for bio.fuels and bio diesels. Sad really.

Yes one of the huge neighbours started growing to produce biodiesel and another crop that I think was trucked to Drax and burned if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, DoINeedOne said:

I just love the fact it nailed it to 1982 because my long term roadmap has that as the start of the dis-inflation cycle.Its incredible how the economy is so different now,yet liquidity still has the same affect.I noticed today Lidl is still trying to get warehouse workers here and now the job avert says "our sector leading pay increase from March".It wont make any difference though,they still wont keep people.Until benefits are changed or they open the immigrant flood gates from Eastern Europe why would anyone graft on nights.These companies treat workers like dirt thanks to the EU and Browns tax credits for two decades.

I sold ~10% of my oil stocks today. Not that I wanted to but they were too big a proportion of my portfolio.

Redeployed 3/5 of the proceeds into accumulating more B2G, Barrick and Telefonica Brasil. Remainder in cash as tobacco stocks have run away - will wait and see if they come back into my target price range or not.

3 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

I am in the same quandary after I sell my Watches.

I'm very tempted to pay a lump off my mortgage but I am very bullish on Thungela.

You think watches are peaking? I’m thinking they might have a bit further to go- am also starting to wonder whether to let some go or keep hold in case I need to bribe a border guard.

1 hour ago, janch said:

One other thing to remember about David Hunter's predictions is they apply to the US.  I don't think he thinks about the FTSE, so when he talks about a melt-up he's really talking about the S&P and the FAANGS etc.  If they then fall 80% which he also predicted then I doubt our reflation stocks will fall by anywhere near the same amount especially as there will be some people getting out of the FAANGS when they see the bust coming and going to value stocks.

Also according to Max Keiser (sorry no link) there are many "unicorn" stocks in the US which have yet to make a profit and many of these will sink without a trace ie go bust.  These are mostly NASDAQ tech type stocks.

I wrestle with this.

These market blips have taken down my portfolio as well as the cycle leaders. DH does say that every sector will get hit in the downturn.

Someone I was listening to on Palisade Radio (I think) was also saying that, as the biggest market in the world, a US bear market tends to mean everybody else has one, too.

But it doesn't stop me asking questions of myself all the time!

M S E Refugee
1 minute ago, dnb24 said:

You think watches are peaking? I’m thinking they might have a bit further to go- am also starting to wonder whether to let some go or keep hold in case I need to bribe a border guard.

I may buy a few Sovereigns with the proceeds as they are less conspicuous.

Maybe the Rolex madness will continue but I would imagine they will be the first thing to be sold off if we have a BK.

2 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

2022-01-12_05-37-40.jpg?itok=fJ21K7ly

Worse than that under the bonnet, Goods inflation 10.7% and rising....

That doesn't even include food and energy!

18 minutes ago, Majorpain said:

2022-01-12_05-37-40.jpg?itok=fJ21K7ly

Worse than that under the bonnet, Goods inflation 10.7% and rising....

That doesn't even include food and energy!

Not to mention the persistent whiff of cooked books from the rent element:

21 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Id say gold is 35% undervalued,but i havent added any or miners for a long time.

Hi @DurhamBorn, but by your own basis if it is 35% undervalued are you not looking to add more miners at this stage?

1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

I just love the fact it nailed it to 1982 because my long term roadmap has that as the start of the dis-inflation cycle.Its incredible how the economy is so different now,yet liquidity still has the same affect.I noticed today Lidl is still trying to get warehouse workers here and now the job avert says "our sector leading pay increase from March".It wont make any difference though,they still wont keep people.Until benefits are changed or they open the immigrant flood gates from Eastern Europe why would anyone graft on nights.These companies treat workers like dirt thanks to the EU and Browns tax credits for two decades.

I think Lidls one of the better employers TBH in the sector especially in regards to pay. A deputy store manager can get £42k a year whilst a store manager can get up to £58k.

They also don’t have the overheads of say Tesco’s so could potentially raise the hourly rate if needed above the largest supermarket retailers.

What I do expect however is that people will leave the emergency services in their droves.

Civil service is one thing - low intensity work for low intensity people who want to coast through life with a massive pro home to work life balance and get a pension at the end of it.

Emergency workers are a different kettle of fish. Yes benefits can be good (although pension isn’t really a factor anymore - state age linked) but the pay is limited and is subject to budget cuts (most have already been frozen).

Newly recruited police officers (in London) start on £19k a year which is less than a PCSO. They are now also subject to pay freezes up the yearly banded scale if they fail a performance review or are on an action plan.

In todays society and aggro that comes with it, with no pension in reachable sight, there’s literally nothing left to keep these young low banded emergency service workers when cost of living starts to skyrocket.

I know I’d rather be working in Lidl instead faced with the above.

Bobthebuilder

Right, sh#t has just got real for me in bobs land, this is serious.

Hornby have just released their 2022 model train product line. Last year's prices for a steam train was £169.99, this year's releases £269.99. These are not new tooling, but re-releases.

Being discretionary spending, I'm shorting Hornby.

Things have got serious, folks.

2 hours ago, dnb24 said:

I’m watching the classic cars or some of them fords are insane prices 

5D058186-CD6B-43EF-B85E-5FC981788062.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Right, sh#t has just got real for me in bobs land, this is serious.

Hornby have just released their 2022 model train product line. Last year's prices for a steam train was £169.99, this year's releases £269.99. These are not new tooling, but re-releases.

Being discretionary spending, I'm shorting Hornby.

Things have got serious, folks.

What gauge asking for a female friend

Another excellent episode from Pailsade Gold, apologies if already posted.

Talking Points From This Episode

- The consequences of poor decision-making.

- Nuclear, global energy concerns, and green energy.

- Natural gas, fertilizer, and higher food prices.

- Speculation in crypto, the risks, and concerns around Tether.

Archived