DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 3)

spunko

And so it begins, people getting massacared out there. Some guy complaining after he lost his house and wife because Jim Cramer recommended buy Peleton. Funny but not funny at the same time.

Edited to add could you be surprised if the sob stories are used as cover to ban us from trading individual stock really >

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

There definitely seems to be the expected rotation going on. I've been considering JDW once things started opening up again. I know you've already stepped in. Just looking now and losses for 2 years could be expected but debt's also gone up a lot. Have they been buying distressed assets or covering losses? About -50% from peak should be tempting enough.

I bought a lot then sold them all for a 15% profit in a month and bought Blackrock Latin America with it and glad i did as fallen right back.Id like to get them back again,but for now im building the asset managers.They increased share count by 20% by an equity raise.Their debt is fine as they own 70% freeholds that havent mostly been re-valued for 20 years,but it is at the point where it will need to come down,and so i cant see divis any time soon above token amounts.Look like a trading share now,up and down 10% regular.

12 minutes ago, Bricormortis said:

could you be surprised if the sob stories are used as cover to ban us from trading individual stock really

It is a (small) concern. The finance industry would certainly lobby to trap individual investors in broad index or life strategy funds, if they thought they could get away with it. 

19 minutes ago, Bricormortis said:

And so it begins, people getting massacared out there. Some guy complaining after he lost his house and wife because Jim Cramer recommended buy Peleton. Funny but not funny at the same time.

Edited to add could you be surprised if the sob stories are used as cover to ban us from trading individual stock really >

Meamwhile Uncle Dave merrily tapping more nails through his balls. Legend!

27 minutes ago, Bricormortis said:

Zoom back down to the level they were before the flu 75%,2/3s down from high.60/40 trackers holding the bag.

Democorruptcy
1 hour ago, Harley said:

These are (were) just your winners, or have you previously dumped ABDN, etc?  Been a fascinating day watching the (hourly moves) and individual weaknesses and strengths.  I'll probably be selling down some more today as some falls look to have legs.  Russia down big which is delusional but Japan did OK overnight (need to see if it leads or follows).  Overall nice as many dumpers had already shown weakness so I parred back already (but never enough!) and bonds (and gold) have softened the blow, maybe for the last time this round for bonds (but I still doubt serious rate rises atm).  Yes, nice if we have a fake NASDAQ rally so I can catch more value.  But only the first day of the week so I'll give things time before drawing a line. 

That list isn't what @DurhamBornis holding, they were just the biggest FTSE gainers at that time.

Yadda yadda yadda

I love a market sell off. All good fun for those with perspective and appropriate risk appetite.

1 hour ago, Bricormortis said:

Assuming this bloke is telling the truth then he is a moron and deserves to lose it all. Don't ever go full retard on a stock because a shouty bloke recommended it.

Yadda yadda yadda
41 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Zoom back down to the level they were before the flu 75%,2/3s down from high.60/40 trackers holding the bag.

Very glad I'm not sat in the recommended "lifestyle plan" trackers.

3 hours ago, Libspero said:

I can see that POLY could/should do well,  but all the gold miners seem to be getting hammered too.  Even if gold miners do start to track the uptrend in gold, are you not worried that a company in Russia might be targeted with sanctions or delisted completely as a result of the Ukraine fall out ?

Just seems a pretty high risk gamble when other options look safer.    For the record,  I did buy a bit of FRES so I'm feeling some of your pain   :D

All four Ftse major pm miners are moving in lockstep. Cey, Hoc, Fres and Poly. Look at the yearly and six monthly chart.

Poly at current levels are nicely priced. Fres on the other hand could fall further. Management failings, and constant broken promises.

Fres production report Wednesday, Poly Thursday. These are my two long holds, pays me a nice income while I await the sector to stretch it's legs. It will only when.

25 minutes ago, Hunty said:

Fres on the other hand could fall further. Management failings, and constant broken promises.

I do worry that energy input costs could affect their profits / extraction viability..  but with PMs rising hopefully that will be offset:

As extraction and production have accelerated to meet demand, mineral deposit grades are declining, requiring a higher volume of ore to be processed in order to meet and exceed production targets. At the same time energy costs, a key component of the cost structure, have risen, as have treatment and refining charges.

22 minutes ago, Hunty said:

All four Ftse major pm miners are moving in lockstep. Cey, Hoc, Fres and Poly. Look at the yearly and six monthly chart.

Poly at current levels are nicely priced. Fres on the other hand could fall further. Management failings, and constant broken promises.

Fres production report Wednesday, Poly Thursday. These are my two long holds, pays me a nice income while I await the sector to stretch it's legs. It will only when.

Pretty much my consensus too, delays to the Juanicipio mine for FRES but timed to come online just as the boom starts in PMs in 2022. Big upside for later this year methinks.

https://www.bnamericas.com/en/features/spotlight-mexicos-us15bn-construction-stage-mining-projects

Blackrock own 5% of Poly. That's a big position. I've been laddering in as I feel it will bounce hard. Fres is owned 75% by Penoles, sometimes I wonder how much they care about the SP. But I still see it bouncing hard eventually along with Silver. I have no interest in Cey, single mine and Hoc just keeps having issue after issue.

44 minutes ago, Hunty said:

Although my list of stocks generally only really includes the biggest businesses in the FTSE 100, Poly is definitely on my list of ‘others’.

Everything to be positive about….other than the Russia issues right now. Not so much I think there is a huge risk, rather I can see sentiment dragging it down further and grabbing a bargain.

Lol, i.ve taken a pasting today as overweight oil and gas 

I.ve only made silly amounts of money this month now, as opposed to making ridiculous amounts of money. Ha ha.

Cant wait to see this weeks fomc minutes, will they say we trapped. Ecomony bad, market bad, inflation bad. 

This is getting fun

3 hours ago, AWW said:

Anyone lumping on QQQS?

Leveraged x3 

16% rise today. 

Balls of steel to ride this beast……

EDE6F889-4479-4E76-AFCE-AC5699A26836.jpeg

* Edited to add - my balls are not made of steel…… I wish they were. Whenever I have shorted the market I got destroyed. Too risky for me. @Lokigave me a cheers 🍻 - I need it to drown my sorrows at not shorting. 

2 hours ago, Bricormortis said:

Pathetic. Zero sympathy. Unless these people trading are children they can stand by their own decisions and losses.

1 minute ago, Pip321 said:

Although my list of stocks generally only really includes the biggest businesses in the FTSE 100, Poly is definitely on my list of ‘others’.

Everything to be positive about….other than the Russia issues right now. Not so much I think there is a huge risk, rather I can see sentiment dragging it down further and grabbing a bargain.

Thursdays production report is a key milestone as it will provide some guidance on the May dividend. If they exceed expectations then I see blue days ahead. I got some today at 1124p. As I have nothing under 1250p, but I have taken some huge profit's. If it goes under 1100p I'll throw the kitchen sink at it. Waited today but bounced off 1122.75p twice. The Russia bollocks has no consequence to me same as the bed wetters selling BP because of the Russian link, I have my eye on Gazprom but I never usually buy ADR.

Wonder if the NASDAQ 100 has bottomed, looking like a nice little pre-close rally going on, the composite smashed down through 14000 like it wasn't even there

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Wonder if the NASDAQ 100 has bottomed, looking like a nice little pre-close rally going on, the composite smashed down through 14000 like it wasn't even there

I like some of his thesis - but ……Not sure how our boy Dave Hunter can expect his market melt up….. 

Nasdaq to 20,000 - seriously? 

2 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

I like some of his thesis - but ……Not sure how our boy Dave Hunter can expect his market melt up….. 

I wonder if he'll disappear of Twitter in either case - to (Deservedly IMO) earn thousands in newsletter subs after showing his worth if he is right, or just to pretend it never happened if he isn't

7 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

I am skeptical, however the number and rate of fed rate rises currently priced in only has to dip slightly to be interpreted as a dovish surprise. A hedge fund guy (Dalio?) was calling for a shock .5% rise at the January meeting just a couple of weeks ago. People were also discussing back to back rises starting immediately as a likely path.

The traditional idiom was that the first rate rise is bullish, because it is never as much as the worst case previously priced in and it removes uncertainty. Tapering complicates that picture, is the first act of taper now the substitute for the first rise etc.

If Hunter was able to call this before it happened, that would imply the current selling is technical in nature.

Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Speaking of large downs and the flu.... somebody on here @wherebee? was posting Moderna prices. Another -7% today so -70% since last July. Jab recall anyone? (No need for anyone to shift uncomfortably in their chair if they have had one, it will all be OK)

Bobthebuilder
3 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Main concern,though its a nice one to have is my biggest holdings are becoming big percentages of my portfolio and that means i might have to sell a few for balance reasons.Im loathe to sell any BAT for instance ,but if it went up much more id have to trim

I have quite a lot of BAT, the holding in my pension can just sit there, not worried about that. I also have a fair chunk in my ISA, got in near £25. Thinking of taking profit if it hits £34?

Archived