DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Off grid

sarahbell

Services - PLEASE NOTE the property does not have mains water, electricity or gas. Electricity is provided by a 6kW Proven wind turbine (currently down for servicing and repairs), two backup diesel generators, and a range of batteries, controllers, and inverters which provide a seamless and reliable power system to the house with minimal maintenance required. The house is heated by two biomass boilers, which when running attract a grant under the Renewable Heat Incentive of approximately £20,000 a year, with about 15 years left on the grant scheme. Alternatively, the oil fired boiler in the house can be used. Kerosene and diesel tanks are situated in a bunker behind the stables, to fuel the Aga, the oil central heating, and the generators, when required. The water is from a well. A sequence of pumps, filters and UV treatments ensure the water is always clean and safe. Rainwater is collected in a large underground tank to provide water for flushing toilets if required. A large septic tank is installed, with a reed bed system to clean the outflow.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108302459#/?channel=RES_BUY

Lovely climbing wall though.

HousePriceMania
11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Services - PLEASE NOTE the property does not have mains water, electricity or gas. Electricity is provided by a 6kW Proven wind turbine (currently down for servicing and repairs), two backup diesel generators, and a range of batteries, controllers, and inverters which provide a seamless and reliable power system to the house with minimal maintenance required. The house is heated by two biomass boilers, which when running attract a grant under the Renewable Heat Incentive of approximately £20,000 a year, with about 15 years left on the grant scheme. Alternatively, the oil fired boiler in the house can be used. Kerosene and diesel tanks are situated in a bunker behind the stables, to fuel the Aga, the oil central heating, and the generators, when required. The water is from a well. A sequence of pumps, filters and UV treatments ensure the water is always clean and safe. Rainwater is collected in a large underground tank to provide water for flushing toilets if required. A large septic tank is installed, with a reed bed system to clean the outflow.

Might as well rob the post office and get sent to a similar establishment and live for free#

Can you manage your portfolio from inside ?

Fantastic place but I'd be looking at paying £1m and not £2m.

Also there is this bizarre paragraph as without knowing the answer how in earth do you price it? Why not just tell people?

Tenure: Please confirm if this is a freehold or leasehold property with Saxton Mee

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Oooh, could it be an alternative to dosbods island?   

2 hours ago, One percent said:

When I saw this one I thought it could be an alternative to a dosbod's island. 28 acres is enough room to build a few shelters? It's in one of the three remaining countries open to people from the UK without a covid test etc. and $60k in the bank is enough for residency as a 'rentista'.

https://kraincostarica.com/en/search-properties/rs1600086

8 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

When I saw this one I thought it could be an alternative to a dosbod's island. 28 acres is enough room to build a few shelters? It's in one of the three remaining countries open to people from the UK without a covid test etc. and $60k in the bank is enough for residency as a 'rentista'.

https://kraincostarica.com/en/search-properties/rs1600086

Maybe but what i liked about @sarahbell post was that it appears to be self sufficient for heat and water. It also has great sight lines. 

25 minutes ago, One percent said:

Maybe but what i liked about @sarahbell post was that it appears to be self sufficient for heat and water. It also has great sight lines. 

£2m in the UK compared to about £200k in a place where heating isn't an issue. :S

2 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

£2m in the UK compared to about £200k in a place where heating isn't an issue. :S

I would rather be on familiar turf when we reach TEOTWAWKI. 

Let's be honest, the only people that live "off grid" in the UK are either filthy hippies or (much more common) middle class professionals with shit loads of cash to spare for their pet project. I know a couple who live off-grid, he works in the City and she's a watercolour painter. They have no kids and spent £80k on an "eco swimming pool" as if it was just an everyday purchase.

Nobody has the kind of money needed to enter into it, i.e. a spare £200k to buy a field.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Fantastic place but I'd be looking at paying £1m and not £2m.

Also there is this bizarre paragraph as without knowing the answer how in earth do you price it? Why not just tell people?

Tenure: Please confirm if this is a freehold or leasehold property with Saxton Mee

This is a newly added standard template on all Rightmove listings, or at least quite a few of them. Don't know why they've added it, some sort of legal challenge maybe.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I would rather be on familiar turf when we reach TEOTWAWKI. 

Well you mentioned dosbod's island, which is a lot different to your mother's apron in the UK! To be fair I posted my link in the wrong thread, it's probably more 'Great Escape'.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

Only if we can do it up like the stately house in 24hours later ie land mines on the lawn etc .bagsie the machine gun nest .I can get 100k at a push to put towards it

29 minutes ago, spunko said:

Let's be honest, the only people that live "off grid" in the UK are either filthy hippies or (much more common) middle class professionals with shit loads of cash to spare for their pet project. I know a couple who live off-grid, he works in the City and she's a watercolour painter. They have no kids and spent £80k on an "eco swimming pool" as if it was just an everyday purchase.

Nobody has the kind of money needed to enter into it, i.e. a spare £200k to buy a field.

Pikeys 

6 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Only if we can do it up like the stately house in 24hours later ie land mines on the lawn etc .bagsie the machine gun nest .I can get 100k at a push to put towards it

Well that was exactly my thinking. No trees so you can see what’s coming. Machine gun nests and a minefield all round.  

oh, and a moat, complete with drawbridge. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well that was exactly my thinking. No trees so you can see what’s coming. Machine gun nests and a minefield all round.  

I’m from rocester I might be able to lift a few jcbs.if there’s no moat

14 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ok I can get the moat and not every side is surrounded by empty fields the advantage of this place is I won’t have to travel far.it’s also 2 million but easy to defend and has a wine cellar dungeon and drawbridge 

E29E6032-F97B-460C-AE91-839AC170FAE3.png

12D51325-F2D7-4248-9931-C7D2978C97E5.webp

Just now, King Penda said:

Ok I can get the moat and not every side is surrounded by empty fields the advantage of this place is I won’t have to travel far.

Ooh. I like that. 

12 hours ago, King Penda said:

Ok I can get the moat and not every side is surrounded by empty fields the advantage of this place is I won’t have to travel far.it’s also 2 million but easy to defend and has a wine cellar dungeon and drawbridge 

12D51325-F2D7-4248-9931-C7D2978C97E5.webp

Very nice indeed but sold April this year for an undisclosed fee after years in the market.

Original buyer £1.7m wanted to turn it into a venue but planning wouldn't let him do anything and it cost him a fortune over the years.

Sale price undisclosed, asking prices were £3m and £5m at different times.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/fairytale-caverswall-castle-boasts-18-5301980

The one I like opposite Plymouth (Ince Castle, has its own peninsula) went for £7m maybe six years ago and hasn't cone back on since.

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Very nice indeed but sold April this year for an undisclosed fee after years in the market.

Original buyer £1.7m wanted to turn it into a venue but planning wouldn't let him do anything and it cost him a fortune over the years.

Sale price undisclosed, asking prices were £3m and £5m at different times.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/fairytale-caverswall-castle-boasts-18-5301980

The one I like opposite Plymouth (Ince Castle, has its own peninsula) went for £7m maybe six years ago and hasn't cone back on since.

Put simply he was a bit of a nutter saw a few of his rants in the local paper I doubt he got his money back

12 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Put simply he was a bit of a nutter saw a few of his rants in the local paper I doubt he got his money back

My parents' (big) old house sold for about £500k more than they got for it and they were rather peeved.

I pointed out that it had had massive building works going on for months; most of the internal walls were replaced, all the plumbing changed, fair bit of rewiring, half the roof replaced. And this had stopped midway because the buyer had run out of money before they got a new loan.

They probably spent £300k on it including interest; take out legal fees and taxes and the £500k drops to £150k.

Not so bad then is it.

Plus there is no way that they would have countenanced the months of building work in the first place; so to my mind instead of "losing" £500k they instead passed up the opportunity to sort out the work themselves and make £150k.

Which is a choice they would have made anyway so they actually lost nothing.

People subtract the buying price from the selling price and think "profit"; whereas the more common reality is going to be as you say: not getting your money back.

The only good and near-guaranteed way of making money on property is a small self-financed building firm going around buying up knackered properties and restoring them.  I know one which is a two man band who used to do it for a HA before they realised that they could do it for themselves and keep the money rather than receiving a rather small salary.

They were on one of those property programmes when they were working at Ocean Housing in St Austell. As they're shown on a loop on the satellite channels people may have seen it though I haven't.

I am massively into the idea of off grid and sometimes you can get some good cheap  property and land because of it. 

Give me running water or even just water, wind, sun and a large area of land and I can get all the power I will ever need using Tesla power walls and heating is a doddle. The only thing that would be difficult in some cases is broadband and I 100% must have that

On 30/09/2021 at 10:32, Frank Hovis said:

My parents' (big) old house sold for about £500k more than they got for it and they were rather peeved.

I pointed out that it had had massive building works going on for months; most of the internal walls were replaced, all the plumbing changed, fair bit of rewiring, half the roof replaced. And this had stopped midway because the buyer had run out of money before they got a new loan.

They probably spent £300k on it including interest; take out legal fees and taxes and the £500k drops to £150k.

Not so bad then is it.

Plus there is no way that they would have countenanced the months of building work in the first place; so to my mind instead of "losing" £500k they instead passed up the opportunity to sort out the work themselves and make £150k.

Which is a choice they would have made anyway so they actually lost nothing.

People subtract the buying price from the selling price and think "profit"; whereas the more common reality is going to be as you say: not getting your money back.

The only good and near-guaranteed way of making money on property is a small self-financed building firm going around buying up knackered properties and restoring them.  I know one which is a two man band who used to do it for a HA before they realised that they could do it for themselves and keep the money rather than receiving a rather small salary.

They were on one of those property programmes when they were working at Ocean Housing in St Austell. As they're shown on a loop on the satellite channels people may have seen it though I haven't.

Yes after nealy 9 years here I did some maths paid about 49 for it spent about 11k doing it up to a certain extent it’s worth 70 plus .saved about 46k in rent and just under 7k from a lodger.

22 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Yes after nealy 9 years here I did some maths paid about 49 for it spent about 11k doing it up to a certain extent it’s worth 70 plus .saved about 46k in rent and just under 7k from a lodger.

It's that £46k rent saving that is your actual financial benefit from the house, less the £11k so you're £35k richer than you would have been if renting.

That's the way I look at mine; it cost me roughly 25 years rental up front which has been paying back ever since. 18 years left plus a couple for maintenance and it's paid for itself in rent saved.

Archived