DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Off grid

sarahbell

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's that £46k rent saving that is your actual financial benefit from the house, less the £11k so you're £35k richer than you would have been if renting.

That's the way I look at mine; it cost me roughly 25 years rental up front which has been paying back ever since. 18 years left plus a couple for maintenance and it's paid for itself in rent saved.

Yes in theory it’s a saveing has I’d still need to live somewhere ie rent .they rent for about 450/475 I think.your forgetting about the 7k from the lodger and it will go for 70/75k so you can add another 17k on and I’m only useing 425 has an avarage rent

7 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Yes in theory it’s a saveing has I’d still need to live somewhere ie rent .they rent for about 450/475 I think.your forgetting about the 7k from the lodger and it will go for 70/75k so you can add another 17k on and I’m only useing 425 has an avarage rent

Tbh I was discounting the lodger as most people don't do this but was thinking that a house for 25 years rent sounded reasonable.

I know someone who takes NHS placed lodgers, workers,and despite his low salary he has enough income to retire now and isn't yet fifty. 

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Tbh I was discounting the lodger as most people don't do this but was thinking that a house for 25 years rent sounded reasonable.

I know someone who takes NHS placed lodgers, workers,and despite his low salary he has enough income to retire now and isn't yet fifty. 

I’ve just checked how much they rent for and it’s between 5/600 quid i nealy fell off my chair.the big thing around here is hmos by the looks of things .this site used to have very few just individuals with a spare room now it’s rammed full of people running hmos.

AFF3B2DA-F568-4B15-9088-261CD47C0511.png

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well I count him because I’d bung his cash towards overpaying the morgage that saved a shit load in interest I’d paid off the 17 year long morgage in under 7 years .that saved over 11k

On 29/09/2021 at 19:49, Democorruptcy said:

When I saw this one I thought it could be an alternative to a dosbod's island. 28 acres is enough room to build a few shelters? It's in one of the three remaining countries open to people from the UK without a covid test etc. and $60k in the bank is enough for residency as a 'rentista'.

https://kraincostarica.com/en/search-properties/rs1600086

Looks amazing, however, its location means, if you ever wanted to sell it again, youd probably have to firesale it yourself for 100k usd to get shot, property is easy to buy in CR and impossible to sell (apart from prime coastal possibly). You cant really value it based on "A similar shithole in the UK costs 2million" etc. Purchasing as a "gringo" youre also highly likely to get scammed (if youtube vids are anything to go by). Anything there is super high risk, buyer beware, so itd have to be giveaway prices.

On 29/09/2021 at 17:12, Frank Hovis said:

Fantastic place but I'd be looking at paying £1m and not £2m.

Also there is this bizarre paragraph as without knowing the answer how in earth do you price it? Why not just tell people?

Tenure: Please confirm if this is a freehold or leasehold property with Saxton Mee

Ah this is something I think estate agents have got more wary about saying publicly. God knows why.

18 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Ah this is something I think estate agents have got more wary about saying publicly. God knows why.

Because Freehold may not be 100% freehold and leasehold is now a potential problem as there are so many variations, some good and some awfully bad. 

21 hours ago, eek said:

Because Freehold may not be 100% freehold and leasehold is now a potential problem as there are so many variations, some good and some awfully bad. 

I know someone with a "flying freehold" house.

It's a run of four small terraced houses but the rooms interlock like a 3D puzzle so that her bedroom is entirely above her neighbour's lounge and so on.

It has attracted a mythology as these places do that it was built for four sisters and the houses had interconnecting doors though there isn't any trace of these.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/09/2021 at 21:25, Democorruptcy said:

£2m in the UK compared to about £200k in a place where heating isn't an issue. :S

I think it would be £20k* in Thailand......with sex on tap too lol

*that's the main reason I fancy going there, to see if it's doable....

Archived