• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Another Darwin Award Candidate

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/20/emma-kelty-british-kayaker-brazil

Emma Kelty joked about a warning she had been given about the stretch of the Amazon river she was about to enter. “So in or near Coari (60 miles) I will have my boat stolen and I will be killed too,”

Rocky Contos, a guide Kelty employed in Peru for the first six weeks of her trip, said he tried to warn her of the dangers she faced, but that she was determined to continue alone. “I told her there are people there who have no regard for life,” he was quoted as saying by the Times. “There are many cases of people being robbed and shot.

Kelty, 43, from Finchley in north-west London, resigned as head of Knollmead primary school in Surbiton in 2014 to go travelling. She had begun kayaking in February after deciding that her next challenge would be to paddle the Amazon from its source in the Peruvian Andes to the Atlantic Ocean.

I'm sad to hear of an adventurer's death and an unpleasant one at the hands of others. A death at the hands of nature is better.

BUT, she must have looked like a fekking Christmas tree, which strikes me as a little naive.

According to the teenager, whom police did not name for legal reasons, the group tried to sell her two mobile phones, her tablet computer and her GoPro camera in local communities.

That technology list reads that she was more interested in FB-ing the trip than the compromise that might bring for personal safety.

Although the area sounds inherently dangerous and I'd have taken notice of the guide.

Edited by Hopeful

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

A sad loss to the teaching profession. o.O

She may have been a good head teacher although was obviously dissatisfied enough to quit but there are around 6 billion people on the planet who will slit your throat as soon as look at you for whatever goods and chattels you have.

Here's my theory:

She was pitching her tent at the side of the river (notorious for pirate gunboats)

Pirate on a passing pirate gunboat opened up on her with a burst of AK47 in her general direction (warning, pirate territory etc) 

Victim was struck

crawled to her kit and activated emergency transponder beacon

bled out

found by villagers who took stuff and were caught attempting to flog it. 

Sad tale but you can't expect to go solo into those sort of territories without training and being prepared to fight to survive if nesassary.  

Edited by WorkingPoor

6 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Here's my theory:

She was pitching her tent at the side of the river (notorious for pirate gunboats)

Pirate on a passing pirate gunboat opened up on her with a burst of AK47 in her general direction (warning, pirate territory etc) 

Victim was struck

crawled to her kit and activated emergency transponder beacon

bled out

found by villagers who took stuff and were caught attempting to flog it. 

Sad tale but you can't expect to go solo unarmed into those sort of territories without training. 

Stealth camping is important in those parts of the world - not wearing bright coloured kit or carrying bright coloured kit that attracts attention. The opposite of wanting to be seen here - i.e. if you need to be rescued.

Many touring bikers make a big thing of having bikes, pannier bags, tents, etc, that are as neutral coloured as possible - black, grey, dark green - so that you blend in.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Stealth camping is important in those parts of the world - not wearing bright coloured kit or carrying bright coloured kit that attracts attention. The opposite of wanting to be seen here - i.e. if you need to be rescued.

Many touring bikers make a big thing of having bikes, pannier bags, tents, etc, that are as neutral coloured as possible - black, grey, dark green - so that you blend in.

Touring bikers tend to be very grey dull and boring anyway :Jumping:

3 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Although the area sounds inherently dangerous and I'd have taken notice of the guide.

Utter stupidity, pay a guide then ignore his advice, that you've paid him for

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

British Airways Syndrome - people think that because you can fly there that they must be OK.

We keep projecting our 'niceness' onto other peoples and cultures that are nothing like the British - hence the enormous problem with mass migration into the UK of people from muslim countries in the ME and Africa.

Now that's a new one,

Pathological niceness projection syndrome.

5 hours ago, davidg said:

Kelty, 43, from Finchley in north-west London, resigned as head of Knollmead primary school in Surbiton in 2014 to go travelling. She had begun kayaking in February after deciding that her next challenge would be to paddle the Amazon from its source in the Peruvian Andes to the Atlantic Ocean.

so how much was she being paid?

To be fair to her, the route that she was intending to do is staggering - not just in length but in the dangers and complexities of the route.

I saw one BBC doc attempting this - a full team of people with 'sherpas' and lots of experts such as engineers, medics, survival experts - and it was an assault on their minds and bodies.

Then there was that Comic Relief one where some Blue Peter presenter did a section of it and, well done to her for doing it, but it was a bloody hard thing to achieve. She too had the full BBC jungle location backup.

So what this lady was attempting was staggering even within a group let alone by herself. Either mad or incredibly brave - probably a bit of both.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

To be fair to her, the route that she was intending to do is staggering - not just in length but in the dangers and complexities of the route.

I saw one BBC doc attempting this - a full team of people with 'sherpas' and lots of experts such as engineers, medics, survival experts - and it was an assault on their minds and bodies.

Then there was that Comic Relief one where some Blue Peter presenter did a section of it and, well done to her for doing it, but it was a bloody hard thing to achieve. She too had the full BBC jungle location backup.

So what this lady was attempting was staggering even within a group let alone by herself. Either mad or incredibly brave - probably a bit of both.

Looking to document it all on social media and CV portfolio to return to the UK and land another high paid headteacher role? 

Always impresses at interviews explorer / cultured / well traveled / etc etc 

Edited by WorkingPoor

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Every teacher I have met since leaving school talks to adults as if they are children and act as if no one has ever said no to them. I dated so many teachers like this via dating sites that I long ago decided never to date another teacher. When I am out cycling on cycle routes, when I pass people giving them lots of room after ringing my bell to warn them... it is nearly always teachers who are the ones who, totally unjustified, have a strop.

Well a lesson was learned.