DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Unvaccinated care staff - deadline

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

This is a nationwide issue but I'm hanging it off the Cornwall numbers as that's the source story.

In Cornwall there are roughly 400 out of 8,000 people working in care homes who will not meet the 11 November deadline for being double vaccinated.

As it has been freely available at walk in centres for months, and they have now mostly closed as numbers visiting have dwindled, it is a safe assumption that they either won't or cannot, for medical reasons, have one of the vaccines.

Note that this is only care home staff; there are also mobile carers helping people to stay in their homes via a "care package". I don't know how many but it has to be of the same order so maybe the same 8,000 with 400 unvaccinated.

If they do sack them all on 11 November then that will be a decent chunk of people now unable to stay at home and having to enter care homes that are already understaffed so may not have the places.

And the existing problem of bed blocking because care packages cannot be arranged in more expensive rural areas will increase so causing problems to the NHS.

Given that employers have not been able to fully staff these jobs for years and that there are now loads of jobs out there for the same or more money are they really going to be so stupid as to go through with this so creating a knowing and deliberate body blow to an already-struggling vital sector?

Given the levels of official madness that we have seen over the past nineteen months well maybe they just will.  They're certainly well stupid enough anyway.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/hundreds-cornwall-care-home-staff-5990147

• Agree 8
  • Informative 1

honkydonkey
5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Too many people requiring care compared to the number available to do the caring.

So what's the answer?

Immigrants, obvs. Then when they get old, more immigrants....

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Bogged 1

Frank Hovis
26 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Too many people requiring care compared to the number available to do the caring.

So what's the answer?

The direct answer is each council paying significantly more money per week / per contact hour so that care workers can be paid more and see it as a desirable career.

This of course needs to be paid for by someone.

My suggestions are:

Double Council Tax on second homes and unoccupied properties,

Big annual licensing fee for all holiday homes and Air BnB,

And that a big axe be taken to working tax credits.

• Agree 5

ashestoashes

insist on everyone getting anti body tests, there must be a fair few of the double jabbed with waning numbers or will require a twice weekly test

• Agree 2

AlfredTheLittle
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The direct answer is each council paying significantly more money per week / per contact hour so that care workers can be paid more and see it as a desirable career.

This of course needs to be paid for by someone.

My suggestions are:

Double Council Tax on second homes and unoccupied properties,

Big annual licensing fee for all holiday homes and Air BnB,

And that a big axe be taken to working tax credits.

Could send out council admin and management staff, currently sat at home doing nothing, to cover.

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

Frank Hovis
Just now, AlfredTheLittle said:

Could send out council admin and management staff, currently sat at home doing nothing, to cover.

I'm not going to defend them all as some skivers still remain but a council today, in England at least, is nothing like a council in 2000.

Staff numbers have been slashed and quite a few people work very hard indeed.

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Snake Plissken
6 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Never worked for a council, work in IT, but if some company said we have trouble getting the cleaners in, go and clean the toilets I'll tell them to get fucked. You're employed to do a job not any old shit the manager asks you to do because of their incompetence in resourcing proper staff.

• Agree 5

Micky Roberts
48 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

So what's the answer?

Bring back Matt Hancock and Midazolam ?

Edited by Micky Roberts
  • Cheers 1

King Penda

We will see if they force the nhs I did about 4/5 years of community care I quite liked it Out in the moorlands I’d never do it in a city to much traffic.but the fewer staff they get the more pressure they will put on the available staff and more will quit.

• Agree 3

Yadda yadda yadda
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is a nationwide issue but I'm hanging it off the Cornwall numbers as that's the source story.

In Cornwall there are roughly 400 out of 8,000 people working in care homes who will not meet the 11 November deadline for being double vaccinated.

As it has been freely available at walk in centres for months, and they have now mostly closed as numbers visiting have dwindled, it is a safe assumption that they either won't or cannot, for medical reasons, have one of the vaccines.

Note that this is only care home staff; there are also mobile carers helping people to stay in their homes via a "care package". I don't know how many but it has to be of the same order so maybe the same 8,000 with 400 unvaccinated.

If they do sack them all on 11 November then that will be a decent chunk of people now unable to stay at home and having to enter care homes that are already understaffed so may not have the places.

And the existing problem of bed blocking because care packages cannot be arranged in more expensive rural areas will increase so causing problems to the NHS.

Given that employers have not been able to fully staff these jobs for years and that there are now loads of jobs out there for the same or more money are they really going to be so stupid as to go through with this so creating a knowing and deliberate body blow to an already-struggling vital sector?

Given the levels of official madness that we have seen over the past nineteen months well maybe they just will.  They're certainly well stupid enough anyway.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/hundreds-cornwall-care-home-staff-5990147

Like with the NHS those that can afford it will go private. They'll have people visit them and pay them direct. Won't be a high percentage as it will be very expensive.

• Agree 2

Democorruptcy
22 minutes ago, Micky Roberts said:

Bring back Matt Hancock and Midazolam ?

Mix it up and make it nice, pop goes....

spacer.png

I am always wary of stories of unfilled vacancies in any industry.

On a side note can any of these soon to be redundant care worker able to drive lorries? 

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2

Frank Hovis
9 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Like with the NHS those that can afford it will go private. They'll have people visit them and pay them direct. Won't be a high percentage as it will be very expensive.

Yes, "private payers" as they are known.

Rule one when sourcing home care or a care home is to ask if they take council placements and if so then how many.

The reason being that the councils pay such a low rate that their placements are cross subsidised by the private payers fees.

For example in a 50:50 split home private payers will be charged £1,500 a week whilst the council will pay £1,000 a week. Everyone receives the same level of care: whatever the average of £1,250 buys.

If you're a private payer in that hone you are being robbed; find an all private home instead.

• Agree 5
  • Informative 5

Bedrag Justesen
4 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

Immigrants.

HGV visas are only available if fully vaccinated.

Poultry workers same.

Create a new emergency visa to allow entry for fully vaccinated care workers.

• Lol 1

maynardgravy
4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

So what's the answer?

I think it's time to rewatch Logan's Run.

• Agree 3

Democorruptcy
17 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

HGV visas are only available if fully vaccinated.

Poultry workers same.

Create a new emergency visa to allow entry for fully vaccinated care workers and their extended family.

Extended for you.

The Grey Man
4 hours ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

When I was a youngster my mum did cleaning. At a school mostly but as time went on, directly for people in the area.

As more time went on, I often was asked to do bits for her customers like gardening when away and such like.

Some of those customers became infirm and my mum often ended up being a carer. She was known to them and their families for years so was trusted. All local in the area we lived.

Imagine that now? Admin..insurance..police check...and whatever.

I hope in small.communities my late mums role still exists. Some might need it as we go forwards.

• Agree 6

honkydonkey
28 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

When I was a youngster my mum did cleaning. At a school mostly but as time went on, directly for people in the area.

As more time went on, I often was asked to do bits for her customers like gardening when away and such like.

Some of those customers became infirm and my mum often ended up being a carer. She was known to them and their families for years so was trusted. All local in the area we lived.

Imagine that now? Admin..insurance..police check...and whatever.

I hope in small.communities my late mums role still exists. Some might need it as we go forwards.

My dad was a gardener but ended up more a social carer taking them to the shops etc.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Frank Hovis
5 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

My dad was a gardener but ended up more a social carer taking them to the shops etc.

My gardener does that for at least one of his regulars.

Not me I hasten to add!

ashestoashes
15 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

they're hoping for a little something in the will

honkydonkey
12 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

I'm sure it crosses their minds, but getting paid to go to the shops isn't much different than tinkering about in the garden. Also when you're in that position it's hard to say no.

Edited by honkydonkey
  • Agree 3

The Grey Man
3 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

At my previous address some of the neighbours did this with an old guy who was a widdower of many years.

He seemed to have no immediate family, saying his two daughters lived abroad.

He was friendly and would take the bins in for everyone in the week,  when all were at work.

The neighbours accross from us, would let him in to watch the football on sky sports. Always schmoozing up to him. Isolating him in fact.

My wife had a stillbirth, a daughter, at close to term. Jim stood outside his house and paid his respect as the hearse past. Noted.

Next door had been empty for years.This house was the other half of the semi detached with Jim's house. Eventually it was sold. My best ever neighbour and a good friend moved in. They were respectful to Jim to.

Jim died. Everyone was upset. Respects all round.

Out of no where one of his daughters turned up at the bouse. She let slip her father had abused her as a child. She and her sister lived in the NW.

Notably, she and her siblings were sole heirs.

The friendly neighbours accross the way cursed him immediately.

Never went to his funeral. The old nonce. His new neighbour did. I was delayed. One person other than the funeral directors attended.

The view from the rest of the street; the neighbours who took him in had been more pissed off being left out of the will than any issues of his past. They had said as much.

My brothers and I, had a term for such hangers on, calling them "Willows".

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2