DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

SORN'd car and insurance?

gibbon

Question

Car's been laid up and SORN'd for last 18 months. Going to book it in for a MOT, what's the deal with insurance? I understand I don't need to un-sorn it and get road tax but guessing I need insurance? Is it easy enough to get? I'd only want to be insured for a few days as I might just scrap it if it's going to cost too much to put back on the road.

11 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Car's been laid up and SORN'd for last 18 months. Going to book it in for a MOT, what's the deal with insurance? I understand I don't need to un-sorn it and get road tax but guessing I need insurance? Is it easy enough to get? I'd only want to be insured for a few days as I might just scrap it if it's going to cost too much to put back on the road.

What is the chance of getting caught, and are you prepared to the take the risk ?

29 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

What is the chance of getting caught, and are you prepared to the take the risk ?

Considered it, only 5 mins down the road, but sods law I'd get caught

2 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Considered it, only 5 mins down the road, but sods law I'd get caught

If you stick the plates from another taxed and insured car on top of the plates on the one you want testing then you would only get caught if you had a crash...

Just sayin'

23 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Considered it, only 5 mins down the road

I'd go for it.....drive extremely carefully, you'll be fine, the god of dosbods will be watching over you :)

37 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Can they trailer it?

No idea, need to find a new garage. Prob cheaper to find insurance for a few days

You can get short term temporary insurance,  I did it once to test drive a car I ended up buying.  Obviously the insurance company bumfucks you because it can but I don't quite remember to what extent, maybe £20 for a couple of hours.

So I found these apps on your phone which give short term cover, one was currva or something which I used in the end. Insured it for 3 hours for about £9. After reading the small print turns I wasn't actually covered as the car needed an MOT, but still would have done if plod pulled me over I reckon.