• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Dave Bloke

12 years a slave

2 minutes ago, davidg said:

I'm currently working on a contract for the Saudis. I have to spend all day looking at the curly writing and trying to work out which symbols mean: enter your email, confirm you email etc. I have a post-it with the key squiggles on it stuck to my monitor as an aide-memoire.

My missus said "you should have more respect for yourself, working for those arab dogs, you are their slave"

Ok she doesn't like arabs much.

I told her "look I'm a Western bloke and married, I'm used to slavery"

"whaddaymean?" said the missus.

Talking of slaves, my son came home and said "we're covering how the Europeans enslaved the black man" in history at the moment. "I told the teacher that 5 million Europeans had been enslaved by the arabs as you said". What did the teacher say? Erm, she said any more of that and I'd get a zero mark.

And now the Europeans are slowly enslaving themselves, no-one has even asked them to do it.

BTW the missus is right - shame on you! 

:P

3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

seemingly the Arabic word for "slave" and "African" is the same.... not exactly politically correct...

The Spanish word for black is negro. I got called a racist and moderated for using the name "Lago negro" on another forum.

13 minutes ago, davidg said:

Talking of slaves, my son came home and said "we're covering how the Europeans enslaved the black man" in history at the moment. "I told the teacher that 5 million Europeans had been enslaved by the arabs as you said". What did the teacher say? Erm, she said any more of that and I'd get a zero mark.

Tell him to let the teacher know that while we did "enslave the black man", we (Western Europeans) were first major civilisation to end slavery for all and to our ultimate detriment. Pretty much all civilisations have had slavery, we were the only one to buck the trend and decide it wasn't the right thing to do. 

There has been the odd places it's been banned for a few years but it either never stuck or only applied to specific set of circumstances.

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

The Spanish word for black is negro. I got called a racist and moderated for using the name "Lago negro" on another forum.

That one always cracks me up. I also absolutely love how N**** is a widely offensive word while there is a country called Niger and one called Nigeria. What would you call someone from Niger?

What do you call someone from Pakistan if you're George Bush and regularly put your proverbial foot in your mouth?

(time index link, just a few seconds)

Still makes me giggle.

12 hours ago, Great Guy said:

seemingly the Arabic word for "slave" and "African" is the same.... not exactly politically correct...

There were so many African Slaves in Iraq in the early middle ages that they staged a major rebellion against the Abbasid Caliphate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanj_Rebellion

Bet you don't get taught about that at school kids.

14 hours ago, DTMark said:

What do you call someone from Pakistan if you're George Bush and regularly put your proverbial foot in your mouth?

Still makes me giggle.

Ha! There's the evidence!

There is an ISIS flag behind Bush!

16 hours ago, Great Guy said:

That one always cracks me up. I also absolutely love how N**** is a widely offensive word while there is a country called Niger and one called Nigeria. What would you call someone from Niger?

You haven't struck me as backwards and coming forwards. I'm suprised you didn't just type the word nigger. 

I don't think our minds and mouths belong to anyone else. I shall maintain to my death that we should be allowed to say anything and then we can be judged by those around us if they find it offensive but that in itself should not be a law. 

23 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

You haven't struck me as backwards and coming forwards. I'm suprised you didn't just type the word nigger. 

I don't think our minds and mouths belong to anyone else. I shall maintain to my death that we should be allowed to say anything and then we can be judged by those around us if they find it offensive but that in itself should not be a law. 

tbh, it's one of those words that's so offensive that I don't even want to write it in case I accidentally say the word in the wrong circumstances....

It just seems one of those words that black people use to beat white people with though. You see in the movies a black guy saying "what's up n****" as a friendly term. However if white person says it it's widely offensive.

Surely only one race being able to use words is racist?

15 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Nigel?

Ha ha. Being brought up in South London, one of my chums was quite usually referred to as "Nigel the Nigger". Nothing bad was intended, as pretty much we were musicians, and some of our mates were black. It was to distinguish him from other Nigels.O.o

7 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

tbh, it's one of those words that's so offensive that I don't even want to write it in case I accidentally say the word in the wrong circumstances....

It just seems one of those words that black people use to beat white people with though. You see in the movies a black guy saying "what's up n****" as a friendly term. However if white person says it it's widely offensive.

Surely only one race being able to use words is racist?

You're right. One of my all time favourite songs is Kanye West, Gold Digger. If I play it in my car should I bleep myself when singing along? Why it is ok for him to say it but not me. An example in my post is that I'm not calling anyone that, I'm just saying the word. 

It stricks me as bloody ridiculous that people are still getting offended by it, the same as having to apologise for something our ancestors did years and years ago. 

Edited by Battenberg

18 hours ago, DTMark said:

Still makes me giggle.

See there was some quality stuff W did whilst president