DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Suggestions for cheap UK travel (NE England to South Wales)

Andersen

Andersen

What is the best / cheapest way to travel distances in the UK these days?

I need to arrange a trip (one way) from Darlington (NE England) to Swansea (South Wales), arriving during office hours on either Thursday 14th or Friday 15th. Satnav says it's a 300 mile / 5 hour drive which sounds about right (I drove last time and it was a 750 mile round trip).

Trains could be an option but are £80 arriving too late, or near £200 arriving when I want. I'd consider coaches but the websites I've tried say they don't cover that route & have no suggestions.

Blagging a lift for a lot of the journey would help, arriving a day early would be ok as I can kill time en-route.

Hiring a car for the day is another option but not if I need to pay extra to leave it at a depot different to the one I picked it up from.

So, does anyone have useful suggestions (or can offer a lift) next week ?

:Beer:

Coach would definitely be cheapest - megabus or something  like that from major cities,plus whatever else bus/train for hops to those, but you'd be travelling most of a day - so looking at day before and then cost of night stopover.

Car hire one way looks to be about £100 (min) from Enterprise. You might get a cheaper deal airport to airport location pickup/drop off.

• Cheers 1

Are one off / ad hoc car deliver services / jobs a thing in the UK?

Car Monkey in the US is I believe one.

There's this or something similar. A long shot and without your first job probably tricky to get started as most likely a rating /review, but if cheap enough...........

https://www.driiveme.co.uk/transport-car-cheap.html

Edited by onlyme