DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

rubber paint or other waterproof membrane

nirvana

Question

does rubber paint work?

I have an old fish pond at the bottom of the garden, 4m x 4m and about 1.5m deep but the concrete is old and it has some cracks in it, just the sides the base is sound

I could buy a swimming pool liner but I'd need to get a custom size and if it got a hole in it, it's a bit shite...

if it was 'painted' sky blue in something waterproof that would look ok methinks

any ideas?

6 answers to this question

If it has cracks then those cracks would probably carry on growing, a thin waterproofing layer would quickly be compromised again. Probably the more important question is can the concrete be stabilised and the cracks successfully filled, if so then doing that alone might work  and then the application of a waterproofing layer will prevent further concrete surface failure and fully seal the surface. For pond,not sure a colour would be best, it would soon look dirty, hence most  ponds just plain black. EDPM liner is usually best laid smooth surfaces and flowing often lined with sand, anything sharp is liable to stress and puncture the material, can work very well but in your case will depend on shape. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, onlyme said:

For pond,not sure a colour would be best, it would soon look dirty, hence most  ponds just plain black.

I don't want a pond.......I want to go in it for drugged up rave parties xD hence the sky blue

I did think about putting a load of sand in the bottom first then just using a liner....probs easiest and see how it goes

belfastchild
5 hours ago, nirvana said:

I don't want a pond.......I want to go in it for drugged up rave parties xD hence the sky blue

I did think about putting a load of sand in the bottom first then just using a liner....probs easiest and see how it goes

Inch or more deep of sand, fleece liner then pond liner. Not cheap but mine has been in place over 10 years. make sure the edges are protected from sunlight.
Some people have wild swimming ponds, takes a while for that to mature.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

fleece liner

like what a horse wears? O.o

I couldn't have a wild swimming pond cos of the temp.......I have an idea for a heater by using a coil of pvc pipe painted black in a shallow box with a glass top (not in the uk)

belfastchild
2 minutes ago, nirvana said:

like what a horse wears? O.o

I couldn't have a wild swimming pond cos of the temp.......I have an idea for a heater by using a coil of pvc pipe painted black in a shallow box with a glass top (not in the uk)

No. You can buy rolls of the stuff designed for ponds. Its a thin fleece, more for protecting the plastic layer than anything else.

Already have one of those https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313666991027?hash=item49080273b3:g:hhwAAOSwruBhH~2c

Its shite. Saying that though might run a black soil pipe the length of the roof next year and fill it with water, see if I can do a large solar shower.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Its shite

yeah I know a mate has one.....I was thinking more along the lines of this

Edited by nirvana