Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

  • 0

Eczema cream


OurDayWillCome
 Share

Question

OurDayWillCome

Daughter has developed eczema. Doctor has prescribed steroid cream, that only clears it up for a week and then it starts to come back. I’m not going to continue it as the skin ends up thinning. Does anyone know of any good eczema relief creams that don’t trash the skin? Ta, in advance :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Transistor Man
8 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Daughter has developed eczema. Doctor has prescribed steroid cream, that only clears it up for a week and then it starts to come back. I’m not going to continue it as the skin ends up thinning. Does anyone know of any good eczema relief creams that don’t trash the skin? Ta, in advance :-)

Unfortunately, I’ve never really found a solution. 

As you say, steroid cream works, for as long as you use it. 

There are some off-the-shelf non-steroid creams in SuperDrug which did help. Worth a go.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
One percent
10 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Daughter has developed eczema. Doctor has prescribed steroid cream, that only clears it up for a week and then it starts to come back. I’m not going to continue it as the skin ends up thinning. Does anyone know of any good eczema relief creams that don’t trash the skin? Ta, in advance :-)

Where is the eczema?  You need to address the cause, rather than symptoms.

 My daughter hd it right up her arms as a toddler. Turned out she was allergic to bio washing powder and the washing machine wasn’t rinsing properly. Bought a new machine and changed to non bio and it went. 

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
OurDayWillCome
22 minutes ago, One percent said:

Where is the eczema?  You need to address the cause, rather than symptoms.

 My daughter hd it right up her arms as a toddler. Turned out she was allergic to bio washing powder and the washing machine wasn’t rinsing properly. Bought a new machine and changed to non bio and it went. 

Back of her neck, just below her hairline.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
One percent
4 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Back of her neck, just below her hairline.

Maybe start with different hair products. Also try t-gel which is a coal tar based shampoo product. Non bio washing stuff for clothes and no fabric conditioner. 

  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
OurDayWillCome
4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Maybe start with different hair products. Also try t-gel which is a coal tar based shampoo product. Non bio washing stuff for clothes and no fabric conditioner. 

I’ve used t-gel before - coal tar products have always worked for me. I will give that a try :-)

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Transistor Man

My eczema is on the outside of my lower leg. I’ve had it for 20 years at least. I’ve never got it under control.

I think heat, exercise, sweat are stimuli. I’ve done lots of sport in my time, and cycling kit probably doesn’t help. 

I’ll give the non-bio washing powder a look at. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
One percent
1 minute ago, Transistor Man said:

My eczema is on the outside of my lower leg. I’ve had it for 20 years at least. I’ve never got it under control.

I think heat, exercise, sweat are stimuli. I’ve done lots of sport in my time, and cycling kit probably doesn’t help. 

I’ll give the non-bio washing powder a look at. 

Report back on results if you will. GPs are pretty shite at skin conditions and you are left to work it out for yourself. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Aveeno cream helped my son.  He had eczema when he was younger - gone now.

I'm currently trying it after developing eczema (first time in my life) around a very bad wound I got earlier this year.  Hydrocortisone cream worked well, but like you I wouldn't want to use it repeatedly.

@OurDayWillCome

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
One percent
5 minutes ago, Big Boy said:

Aveeno cream helped my son.  He had eczema when he was younger - gone now.

I'm currently trying it after developing eczema (first time in my life) around a very bad wound I got earlier this year.  Hydrocortisone cream worked well, but like you I wouldn't want to use it repeatedly.

@OurDayWillCome

Fighting over the last loo roll in Tesco?  o.O

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
57 minutes ago, One percent said:

Fighting over the last loo roll in Tesco?  o.O

I won't be too specific - bike related.  A large chunk of flesh gouged out.  Around 3 months wearing a dressing.  I used Medihoney which debrided the wound nicely, but caused dermatitis on the surrounding skin and now that skin has some patchy eczema.  The wound has healed though. :)

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Chewing Grass
19 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I have a little problem patch as a result of someone throwing soup at me, if it flares up this eases it straight away.

https://shopnow.foreverliving.com/gbr/en-gb/products/051-ALOE-PROPOLIS-CREME

I'm going to take a punt that from the type of injury it was definitely 'cream of tomato' due to its higher specific heat capacity.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

fwir, a treatment for skin problems is a sock (almost) full of porridge oats. Run the bathwater through the sock and take a leisurely soak.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, One percent said:

What the hell was in the soup?  o.O

@Chewing Grasshas nailed it with his cream of tomato. I was sat in a chair below my mother as she handed me a bowl of soup and she spilt some on my chest. I've always thought she did it on purpose, to be fair I had been a bit gobby about something.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
One percent
6 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

@Chewing Grasshas nailed it with his cream of tomato. I was sat in a chair below my mother as she handed me a bowl of soup and she spilt some on my chest. I've always thought she did it on purpose, to be fair I had been a bit gobby about something.

They fuck you up your mam and dad

they may not mean to but they do

etc… o.O

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, jm51 said:

fwir, a treatment for skin problems is a sock (almost) full of porridge oats. Run the bathwater through the sock and take a leisurely soak.

What flavour and is it after adding some milk? I've got Quaker Oats Golden Syrup or Apple and Blueberry in stock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Not sure if I've actually got eczema or dermatitis or just plane old dry skin but I certainly get patches of dry, scaley skin flaring up from time to time, especially in winter, I also find Aveeno works well and I also add a little bit of Savlon to it.

The worst thing I've used is anything with Aloe Vera in which actually burns my skin, so much for it's supposed soothing properties!

Edited by Royston
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
AlfredTheLittle

Calendula based creams are very good. I'd second the tip to look at washing powder or anything you're currently using that could be the cause

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
DoINeedOne
On 10/10/2021 at 16:19, OurDayWillCome said:

Daughter has developed eczema. Doctor has prescribed steroid cream, that only clears it up for a week and then it starts to come back. I’m not going to continue it as the skin ends up thinning. Does anyone know of any good eczema relief creams that don’t trash the skin? Ta, in advance :-)

Does your daughter eat fish?

 

My step-daughter had eczema on arms and had been using Steroid cream for years before meeting her mum, i told her to try Omega 3 some decent high dose tablets and within a week it began clearing 

Coincidence, Maybe but she's done fine ever since

Omega 3 as a natural anti inflammatory it worked wonders for her and now very rarely suffers with eczema now and if she does feel its beginning to flare up she just doses up on some Omega 3, But its not like she's taking them daily 

If that doesn't work it won't do her any harm as its naturally found in foods like fish etc...

 

I take high dose Omega 3 most days alot health issues these days are due to inflammation

 

Hope its helps

Edited by DoINeedOne
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
OurDayWillCome
3 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

Does your daughter eat fish?

 

My step-daughter had eczema on arms and had been using Steroid cream for years before meeting her mum, i told her to try Omega 3 some decent high dose tablets and within a week it began clearing 

Coincidence, Maybe but she's done fine ever since

Omega 3 as a natural anti inflammatory it worked wonders for her and now very rarely suffers with eczema now and if she does feel its beginning to flare up she just doses up on some Omega 3, But its not like she's taking them daily 

If that doesn't work it won't do her any harm as its naturally found in foods like fish etc...

 

I take high dose Omega 3 most days alot health issues these days are due to inflammation

 

Hope its helps

She’s been eating less fish recently! I will give that a try :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
DoINeedOne
41 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

She’s been eating less fish recently! I will give that a try :-)

I eat a decent amount of fish but still supplement with Omega 3 so try her on the tablets to get some decent doses

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Lightly cooked liver as well if she hasn't been eating any. Women only need 1oz a week of liver. (1.5oz for males and 2oz a week for pregnant women.)

 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I had a persistent wrist skin irritation and when I went for a "BUPA wellness check" from work I asked the doctor about it. She said eczema and to put P45 cream on it. Did so and made no difference at all.

Eventually discovered it was scabies. It's one of the top commonest skin infections in young children and they can get this around the head area. Caused by a mite which burrows into the skin and lays eggs; the mites are too small to see but you might just be able to spot tiny circles which I assume are the holes.

I cured mine very effectively with cat flea treatment but you might want to go the official route with a young child and there are a number of proper medications. Including ivermectin which as we know is very very naughty and bad.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...