DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What is wrong with the Welsh?

Libspero

And by that..  I mean those dicking about at being in charge there.

Covid hasn’t been a threat since all the old folk got vaccinated leading up to the summer,  yet when I went last weekend they were still making people wear face masks.   Not only that, they have now just announced medical passports for clubs and events.  

Are they on a different planet?  Or is it just a power trip?

The f*ck are they afraid of?  O.o

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Surrounded by idiots said:

Is this one of those questions like "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

Fudge and Tom Jones. Can’t think of anything else.

• Lol 1

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Are they on a different planet?  Or is it just a power trip?

This entirely ^

It's a side effect of devolution. They do it because they can.

• Agree 9

55 minutes ago, Rowley said:

Fudge and Tom Jones. Can’t think of anything else.

Well I'm quarter Welsh with a Rhosllanercrugog grandparent, so add a quarter of me to that :Beer:

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Stuey said:

They are second tier puppeteers. Haven't been given the nudge yet from the inner circle. 

I actually think there is a seed of truth there..  but more that they’ve been chosen for “extra research”.

The over reaction to Covid almost seems like a world trying to test whether,  if a really bad pandemic hits us,  could we actually cope?  Especially after how quickly they lost track of Swine flu when it was “a thing”.

The Welsh tests with passporting feel like a continuation of that.   Ok,  we’ve beaten Covid,  but actually let’s just test these technologies and public control methods quickly while we still have an excuse..  

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

25 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I actually think there is a seed of truth there..  but more that they’ve been chosen for “extra research”.

The over reaction to Covid almost seems like a world trying to test whether,  if a really bad pandemic hits us,  could we actually cope?  Especially after how quickly they lost track of Swine flu when it was “a thing”.

The Welsh tests with passporting feel like a continuation of that.   Ok,  we’ve beaten Covid,  but actually let’s just test these technologies and public control methods quickly while we still have an excuse..  

I've called it stress testing the people and the economy.

There's no single unified theory though to explain the over-reaction - there are multiple things going on which is why it has been so pervasive. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

ashestoashes
31 minutes ago, Libspero said:

still trying to get the young jabbed by targeting nightclubs and mass events 

• Agree 1

Very large terrified old population here in wales so extra reason for caution. We also bask in a sea of public sector employment which is quite happy to do no work at home rather than in the office.   

I'm not saying the above is the reason for FM's actions, I just mean that's how he gets away with it.

• Agree 7
  • Informative 3

SpectrumFX

My first theory was simply that Drakeford is a cunt. That business with taping off the supermarket aisles wound me right up, and I was confident that he'd be voted out over it.

Then he got voted back in.

Fundamentally the issue is that Wales is a de facto one party state (Labour. Or plaid, who are basically Labour speaking Welsh), so they're effectively uncountable. That never ends well.

Edited by SpectrumFX
  • Agree 8

We're gonna need a bigger thread.

EDIT: Oh, I see you're talking about Welsh government. I only read the thread title. As you were. 

Edited by LC1
  • Lol 1

Bedrag Justesen
1 hour ago, afly said:

We also bask in a sea of public sector employment which is quite happy to do no work at home rather than in the office.   

No work at home rather than no work in the office.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Lightly Toasted

The Welsh "government" is isolated from the consequences of their decisions because they know the English will pay. Not just through direct financial settlements to the Assembly, but through the transfers that come from being massively overweight  (ahem!) on public sector and welfare.

• Agree 7

I don't think it's necessarily a Welsh thing. The further away you are from London or a big city, the more terrified people are of COVID. I noticed when I went to Norfolk recently, it felt like April 2020 still. People were still social distancing and jumping out of your way. I go to Wales fairly often and it's similar over there, albeit I don't go to Cardiff or the bigger places so they may be less mental.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Syd Germs
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

I don't think it's necessarily a Welsh thing. The further away you are from London or a big city, the more terrified people are of COVID. I noticed when I went to Norfolk recently, it felt like April 2020 still. People were still social distancing and jumping out of your way. I go to Wales fairly often and it's similar over there, albeit I don't go to Cardiff or the bigger places so they may be less mental.

They've only just heard of Spanish Flu in Norfolk.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

JoeDavola
6 minutes ago, spunko said:

Odd thing is Belfast city centre is the opposite - it's ground zero for covid terror 95% of folks in shops masked, but apparently when you go out of the city to the more rural areas they don't give two fucks.

Does the thread title assume we know what's wrong with the Scots, English, and Northern Irish?  Or just the Scots if we're just talking about passes and a breakdown of democracy (by which party still being tbd)?

Bedrag Justesen
2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

b. The Welsh 'Parliament' seems to spend most of its time thinking up new ways of getting the state involved in hitherto undiscovered areas.

Mostly pointless statist  bullsh*t designed to justify their existence. Anybody involved in that kind of thing absolutely loves Covid.

Llywodraeth Cymru needs to at least double in size.

Easier to target with long range nuclear missile.

• Lol 2

8 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I think several factors are at play. The two biggest ones are:

a. The Welsh have a strong streak of puritanism/non-conformity in religion. They may mostly be non-religious now but that streak does not disappear when you remove Christianity, it comes back in different forms. That's probably partly why they love the enforcement and following of petty rules and social conformity.

b. The Welsh 'Parliament' seems to spend most of its time thinking up new ways of getting the state involved in hitherto undiscovered areas. When I was a journalist I used to be on their mailing list and most of the stuff was things like 'New Welsh Assembly laws to prevent bathroom tap water becoming too hot' or 'New Welsh assembly laws to prevent creosote being used on fences within 10 metres of primary schools' etc. Mostly pointless statist  bullsh*t designed to justify their existence. Anybody involved in that kind of thing absolutely loves Covid.

And the mixture of the two.  They have belief and a need to intervene.

I recall years ago having a mild argument with a Welsh counsellor somewhere.  He wanted to ban vaping within so many metres of children's playgrounds*.  They'd 'beaten' smoking and now they wanted to move to vaping.  The argument went:

• Why do you want to do this?  Because it is bad for you, and bad for the children.
  • Do you have any scientific supporting evidence that 'passive vaping' outdoors is bad for children?  No, but it is.  And it is bad for the individual.
  • Do you have any scientific supporting evidence it is bad for the individual?  No, but it clearly is.  Anyway, it will drive children to start vaping.
  • Do you have any evidence that it'll drive them to start vaping (compared with normal influences, such as parents and peers)?  No but it clearly will.  And then it'll drive them to start smoking.
  • Do you have any evidence that vaping leads to smoking?  No, but it clearly does.

They had belief in their own theory and didn't need evidence (= pseudoreligion), they needed to tell everyone about it (= evangelicalism) and there was a need to force others to act according to their arbitrarily held beliefs (= forced religious conversion).

[*Vaping might or might not be bad for you -- the point is that they wanted to act anyway]

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1

Conniption
26 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I think several factors are at play. The two biggest ones are:

a. The Welsh have a strong streak of puritanism/non-conformity in religion. They may mostly be non-religious now but that streak does not disappear when you remove Christianity, it comes back in different forms. That's probably partly why they love the enforcement and following of petty rules and social conformity.

b. The Welsh 'Parliament' seems to spend most of its time thinking up new ways of getting the state involved in hitherto undiscovered areas. When I was a journalist I used to be on their mailing list and most of the stuff was things like 'New Welsh Assembly laws to prevent bathroom tap water becoming too hot' or 'New Welsh assembly laws to prevent creosote being used on fences within 10 metres of primary schools' etc. Mostly pointless statist  bullsh*t designed to justify their existence. Anybody involved in that kind of thing absolutely loves Covid.

very astute, nailed it completely (New Welsh Assembly laws to prevent bathroom tap water becoming too hotxD)

Edited by Conniption
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I live in Norfolk.  I only see old people behaving this way.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Caravan Monster
4 minutes ago, Big Boy said:

I live in Norfolk.  I only see old people behaving this way.

I spent a few days there and in Suffolk near the coast during the summer just as the masks in shops bullshit ended and experienced much the same. It was generally pretty obvious who were the indigenous locals who mostly didn't care about masks and social distancing and the tourists (mostly younger and healthier looking) that were still doing all the pointless theatrics. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1