Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Death by Covid manslaughter


spunko
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, if he catches COVID in custody and dies will the arresting officer be guilty of manslaughter?

Edited by Option5
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/10/2021 at 14:06, Bilbo said:

This may be an urban myth but I was told when I was in Singapore many years ago, if you were in a taxi and it was in an accident, the taxi driver would blame you, because if you hadn't ordered the taxi it wouldn't have been there.

I've been told similar about Saudi Arabia. Car crash involving a foreign driver and a local. If the foreigner hadn't been there, there wouldn't have been a crash.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/10/2021 at 18:24, Stuey said:

I was once in a taxi from Rusholme back to Manc when the driver ran a red light right at our destination.

The police stopped him.

We ran without paying.

The End. 

I was surprised to come across one of those fake taxi cabs the other week. I remember them from years ago, when they used to "listen in" and arrive a few minutes before the genuine taxi. These are still operating much to my surprise. Surely it's all gone digital now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Norfolk Variant

Loads of people die of hospital acquired infections. If there was a precedent for this it would have been established years ago. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Democorruptcy
On 13/10/2021 at 12:24, Lightly Toasted said:

Except they ate the cake voluntarily.

How about: you chase someone brandishing a hammer; they run onto the road and get fatally knocked down. Seems to me you could be on the hook for manslaughter. The "covid in hospital" consequence is less direct but the chain of causation leading to death is directly comparable.

They went into hospital voluntarily so what's the difference?

It was only a fractured femur, it would take more than that for me to go into one of those places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lightly Toasted
21 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

They went into hospital voluntarily so what's the difference?

It was only a fractured femur, it would take more than that for me to go into one of those places.

I'll reserve judgement on that last point and just do everything possible to avoid the fracture; I daresay all scruples would disappear at that point :)

The difference is the lawfulness of the triggering act. There's a different legal standard when judging outcomes of criminal vs. non-criminal acts.

A case could be made that outcome is everything, act/intent nothing, but that would be a strange and perverse moral system, to my mind. It would lead to the kind of situation you have in China, where people don't help accident victims in case they're held liable -- "If you'd left me there, I wouldn't have this hospital bill".

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Democorruptcy
29 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

I'll reserve judgement on that last point and just do everything possible to avoid the fracture; I daresay all scruples would disappear at that point :)

The difference is the lawfulness of the triggering act. There's a different legal standard when judging outcomes of criminal vs. non-criminal acts.

A case could be made that outcome is everything, act/intent nothing, but that would be a strange and perverse moral system, to my mind. It would lead to the kind of situation you have in China, where people don't help accident victims in case they're held liable -- "If you'd left me there, I wouldn't have this hospital bill".

 

 

In the past I would have thought there was no chance a case like this might carry any weight. However after that woman was released early, after taking an hammer to her ex's house and battering him to death, anything is possible now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lightly Toasted
6 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

In the past I would have thought there was no chance a case like this might carry any weight. However after that woman was released early, after taking an hammer to her ex's house and battering him to death, anything is possible now.

The law certainly does not treat everyone equally :(

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...