DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Investment/Pension provider

steppensheep

steppensheep

I appreciate all the warnings about advice from strangers on the internet, but always helpful to hear of other people's experiences. Looking to do some admin tidying up and a bit of consolidation. I'm really sick of all the obligatory junk mail (statements, changes in terms and conditions etc).

Due to historical takeovers I've ended up with a (small) personal pension at Phoenix Life and Isa tracker funds at Fidelity. I think Fidelity looks quite user friendly. Did have some other investments with them a lifetime ago. Phoenix seems a bit less appealing, and my investment (far east tracker) has been a complete dog so tempted to transfer my pension pot to the Fidelity SIPP. I'm 57 so I believe I can start accessing it - not sure that makes it easier or harder but apart from that the transfer process looks temptingly easy.

Any advice on where to look or what to consider welcome.

Edited by steppensheep

SpectrumFX

I've always been happy with Hargreaves Lansdown, but I think others are cheaper now for fees, especially if you have a larger pot.

The big names seem to be HL, Vanguard and AJ Bell.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Frank Hovis
37 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I've always been happy with Hargreaves Lansdown, but I think others are cheaper now for fees, especially if you have a larger pot.

The big names seem to be HL, Vanguard and AJ Bell.

I have also been happily with HL for over twenty years but as I now have a passive approach to investing, being low fee big company trackers in developed economies, I've switched to Vanguard this year as their fees are a small fraction of HL's and such funds with low costs are their speciality.

Vanguard has restrictions on what funds you can hold - they have to be Vanguard own - which suits me but if you want to buy a specific sector fund and they don't offer it then tough.

As a long term investor I appreciate quite how much the cumulative effect of fees can mount up over the decades.

From memory HL was 0.45% and Vanguard 0.15% and Vanguard was capped at £250k of funds across all accounts (ISA, SIPP, fund and share) being £375; so if you have a million across them then it's annual fees of £4,500 for HL against £375 for Vanguard.

HL is slightly less than that as it tapers a bit but there isn't a cap; but not much less. Maybe £4,000 rather than £4,500.

Still that's £80 a week versus £7.50 a week for Vanguard.

Which provider works better for you depends upon how wide a range of funds you wish to invest in and how much are your total investments.

• Informative 2