DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Hi-Fi Advice

gilf

Question

Long story which I won't bore you with, but I have ended up with an Audiolabs 8000a amp and a pair of Linn Keilidh speakers.

I know bugger all about Hi-Fi's and I'm just looking for some basic advice on how to hook it all up. I came with literally nothing cable wise so I'll need to get some and I just need some help on what to get, looking for something basic-ish to get it up and running to see what it's like. Don't particularly have a budget, it's sort of an issue in the sense I have no idea how good either part are and so I don't want to speed hundreds, but equally I don't want to cheap out.

The bit I'm particularly confused with is how to connect whatever cable I need to the speakers, the manual says "The leads should be terminated with the connectors supplied" but I don't have those so I need to know what exactly that would be, from the pictures they seem to plug directly in.

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/0/01/Keilidh_user_manual.pdf

The picture supplied is all I have speaker wise.

IMG_4060.jpg

• Informative 1

7 answers to this question

belfastchild
2 hours ago, gilf said:

Long story which I won't bore you with, but I have ended up with an Audiolabs 8000a amp and a pair of Linn Keilidh speakers.

I know bugger all about Hi-Fi's and I'm just looking for some basic advice on how to hook it all up. I came with literally nothing cable wise so I'll need to get some and I just need some help on what to get, looking for something basic-ish to get it up and running to see what it's like. Don't particularly have a budget, it's sort of an issue in the sense I have no idea how good either part are and so I don't want to speed hundreds, but equally I don't want to cheap out.

The bit I'm particularly confused with is how to connect whatever cable I need to the speakers, the manual says "The leads should be terminated with the connectors supplied" but I don't have those so I need to know what exactly that would be, from the pictures they seem to plug directly in.

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/0/01/Keilidh_user_manual.pdf

The picture supplied is all I have speaker wise.

IMG_4060.jpg

There are supposed to be plates to connect the bass and treble for single wiring. Im not sure of the speakers but if you check that you can unscrew one of the treble connectors it may be possible to twist some wire round it and round the bass (connect treble + to bass + and treble - to bass -). Dont connect the active bass to anything. You will have two connections joining the plusses together and the minuses together.

You can then run your speaker + and - wires from the amp to the bits youve connected (may need some twisting etc.

I would use any mains cable you have lying around to test out. If you have solid mains cable you can cut a couple of the wires slightly longer than the gaps in the photo above and loop the end round a screwdriver or something to give you two looped ends sort of like a large curled staple you see on cardboard boxes to make something like the plates.

FFS -pictures worth a thousand words - grey double wire to amp - sorry about the grey, too late in the evening to find red/black etc!

speaker.jpg

• Agree 1

That looks right. The box isn't ticked so it doesn't have "active bass".

Don't buy overly expensive speaker cable.

Edited by MrPin
  • Agree 1

On 16/10/2021 at 15:18, sleepwello'nights said:

Yes cheers, I had done some research and it was suggesting it was some weird connectors, but I'm back home now where I have all the manuals/price lists etc and the only connector mentioned are indeed 4mm Banana plugs. Also looking at the manual while there is no explicit mention the few pictures showing a connector show what appears to be Banana plugs.

At £10 it's worth getting them and seeing if they fit, not much lost in doing so.

I now have a power plug and confirm the amp at least powers on so that's good, have a cheap CD player coming and various cables etc. Will get the Bananas and see how they work out.

Not lost much as I got both for free, always wanted a decent Hi-Fi but the high initial cost has always put me off as I could never really justify it, worst case it's all junk and I have lost a few quid on cables/connectors.

• Cheers 1

belfastchild
1 hour ago, gilf said:

Yes cheers, I had done some research and it was suggesting it was some weird connectors, but I'm back home now where I have all the manuals/price lists etc and the only connector mentioned are indeed 4mm Banana plugs. Also looking at the manual while there is no explicit mention the few pictures showing a connector show what appears to be Banana plugs.

At £10 it's worth getting them and seeing if they fit, not much lost in doing so.

If you dont mind the wait I ordered these last week for my outdoor sound system - connecting it up dually so wanted to be able to pull out and plug in connectors.
They also do a set of 10 etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174523779971

• Agree 1

Cheer all, now all set up and works brilliantly.

Did get a bit worried as prior to the various cables and connectors arriving I tried a set of head phones but there seemed to be something seriously wrong, but it must have been something in the various headphone cables/connections etc as all fine when plugged in to speakers.

Anyway, thanks all your advice was super helpful.

IMG_4084.jpg

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1