DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

cholesterol

snaga

I found this very educational, it's that pesky sugar and vegetables oils causing the problem again ...

Checked my bloods results from 2018 and I was pattern A (Triglyceride/HDL Ratio 0.51) back then, my diet has only improved since, full keto diet not required.

Edited by snaga
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

3 hours ago, snaga said:

I found this very educational, it's that pesky sugar and vegetables oils causing the problem again ...

Checked my bloods results from 2018 and I was pattern A (Triglyceride/HDL Ratio 0.51) back then, my diet has only improved since, full keto diet not required.

Very informative. I had blood tests last year and, according to this (now that I can interpret them properly), I was pretty much on a sugary suicide mission.  

Would love to see what my results would be now after 6 months on keto, and hope I can undo the damage. 

Thank God for my failure at dating apps and keto thread here that made me consider a new diet!! 

Edited by Bear Hug
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another vid, covers much the same as the first one, but with more discussion about statins.

• Informative 1

sarahbell

Eat oats and seeds and exercise more.

There are "breakfast seed mix" that goes into porridge.  Aldi do something with flax seed and other stuff.

• Agree 2

Hail the Tripod
On 16/10/2021 at 08:03, snaga said:

Interesting. It’s a shame he doesn’t justify the throwaway about linoleic acid from seed oils increasing the oxidative damage.

JoeDavola
On 16/10/2021 at 11:21, Bear Hug said:

Very informative. I had blood tests last year and, according to this (now that I can interpret them properly), I was pretty much on a sugary suicide mission.  

Would love to see what my results would be now after 6 months on keto, and hope I can undo the damage. 

Thank God for my failure at dating apps and keto thread here that made me consider a new diet!! 

Did you get an A1C test last year? If so just get it re-tested now and see how it differs.

4 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Interesting. It’s a shame he doesn’t justify the throwaway about linoleic acid from seed oils increasing the oxidative damage.

it's a subject in it's own right, but yes, a little more detail would have been nice.

Dosbods has it's own thread on seed oils :)

• Agree 1

Snake Plissken

I'd only worry about cholesterol once I sorted out the main risk factors for heart health, overweight, high blood pressure, stress, exercise and a healthy diet. If managed to get those all sorted then maybe look at cholesterol, but the evidence isn't as compelling at the rest (unless you have super high cholesterol which is a condition in itself). There is only evidence of statins effectiveness if you've already had a heart issue.

14 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I'd only worry about cholesterol once I sorted out the main risk factors for heart health, overweight, high blood pressure, stress, exercise and a healthy diet. If managed to get those all sorted then maybe look at cholesterol, but the evidence isn't as compelling at the rest (unless you have super high cholesterol which is a condition in itself). There is only evidence of statins effectiveness if you've already had a heart issue.

well yes, but the discussion is about what is a healthy diet.

Statins work by increasing the number of cells that have LDL receptors, thus they lower LDL cholesterol in circulation, but CVD is caused by damaged LDL which receptors don't recognise. Thus Statins remove "healthy" LDL and ignore bad LDL.

Also, BMJ paper suggesting that Statins increase average lifespan by ~5 days for people with a history o heart problems.

Edited by snaga

Hail the Tripod
20 minutes ago, snaga said:

@Hail the Tripod

he's updated his reasoning - 

By that logic trans-fats are OK, but olive oil isn’t. Unconvinced.

Tend to agree that the more you “supplement” through real food the better, though.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Tend to agree that the more you “supplement” through real food the better, though.

I think trans fats are just not in the conversation, they are basically solidified liquid oils, so his rule of thumb fails.

Eat fresh natural fats that haven't been through any industrial process would be a better rule.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I never think a lot of these diet/nutrition guru types look that great themselves. 

27 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I never think a lot of these diet/nutrition guru types look that great themselves.