Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

cholesterol


snaga
 Share

Recommended Posts

I found this very educational, it's that pesky sugar and vegetables oils causing the problem again ...

Checked my bloods results from 2018 and I was pattern A (Triglyceride/HDL Ratio 0.51) back then, my diet has only improved since, full keto diet not required.

Edited by snaga
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, snaga said:

I found this very educational, it's that pesky sugar and vegetables oils causing the problem again ...

Checked my bloods results from 2018 and I was pattern A (Triglyceride/HDL Ratio 0.51) back then, my diet has only improved since, full keto diet not required.

Very informative. I had blood tests last year and, according to this (now that I can interpret them properly), I was pretty much on a sugary suicide mission.  

Would love to see what my results would be now after 6 months on keto, and hope I can undo the damage. 

Thank God for my failure at dating apps and keto thread here that made me consider a new diet!! 

Edited by Bear Hug
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Another vid, covers much the same as the first one, but with more discussion about statins.

 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sarahbell

Eat oats and seeds and exercise more.

There are "breakfast seed mix" that goes into porridge.  Aldi do something with flax seed and other stuff.

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hail the Tripod
On 16/10/2021 at 08:03, snaga said:

I found this very educational, it's that pesky sugar and vegetables oils causing the problem again ...

Checked my bloods results from 2018 and I was pattern A (Triglyceride/HDL Ratio 0.51) back then, my diet has only improved since, full keto diet not required.

Interesting. It’s a shame he doesn’t justify the throwaway about linoleic acid from seed oils increasing the oxidative damage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JoeDavola
On 16/10/2021 at 11:21, Bear Hug said:

Very informative. I had blood tests last year and, according to this (now that I can interpret them properly), I was pretty much on a sugary suicide mission.  

Would love to see what my results would be now after 6 months on keto, and hope I can undo the damage. 

Thank God for my failure at dating apps and keto thread here that made me consider a new diet!! 

Did you get an A1C test last year? If so just get it re-tested now and see how it differs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Interesting. It’s a shame he doesn’t justify the throwaway about linoleic acid from seed oils increasing the oxidative damage.

it's a subject in it's own right, but yes, a little more detail would have been nice.

Dosbods has it's own thread on seed oils :)

 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Snake Plissken

I'd only worry about cholesterol once I sorted out the main risk factors for heart health, overweight, high blood pressure, stress, exercise and a healthy diet. If managed to get those all sorted then maybe look at cholesterol, but the evidence isn't as compelling at the rest (unless you have super high cholesterol which is a condition in itself). There is only evidence of statins effectiveness if you've already had a heart issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I'd only worry about cholesterol once I sorted out the main risk factors for heart health, overweight, high blood pressure, stress, exercise and a healthy diet. If managed to get those all sorted then maybe look at cholesterol, but the evidence isn't as compelling at the rest (unless you have super high cholesterol which is a condition in itself). There is only evidence of statins effectiveness if you've already had a heart issue.

well yes, but the discussion is about what is a healthy diet.

Statins work by increasing the number of cells that have LDL receptors, thus they lower LDL cholesterol in circulation, but CVD is caused by damaged LDL which receptors don't recognise. Thus Statins remove "healthy" LDL and ignore bad LDL.

Also, BMJ paper suggesting that Statins increase average lifespan by ~5 days for people with a history o heart problems.

Edited by snaga
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hail the Tripod
20 minutes ago, snaga said:

@Hail the Tripod

he's updated his reasoning - 

By that logic trans-fats are OK, but olive oil isn’t. Unconvinced.

Tend to agree that the more you “supplement” through real food the better, though.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

By that logic trans-fats are OK, but olive oil isn’t. Unconvinced.

Tend to agree that the more you “supplement” through real food the better, though.

I think trans fats are just not in the conversation, they are basically solidified liquid oils, so his rule of thumb fails.

Eat fresh natural fats that haven't been through any industrial process would be a better rule.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

By that logic trans-fats are OK, but olive oil isn’t. Unconvinced.

Tend to agree that the more you “supplement” through real food the better, though.

I never think a lot of these diet/nutrition guru types look that great themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I never think a lot of these diet/nutrition guru types look that great themselves. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...