• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

ME, NLP

Oh dear.

Radio article yesterday.

A Uni has trial a NLP treatment for dealign with teens with ME. Its showing positive results.

Today, the head honco of a ME having a rant about the trial - should have done this, should have been adults etc etc.

No problems. This was an initial trail test. Science has to start somewhere.

Looks like a moonbeam 'disease' can be 'cured' with a moonbeam therapy.

All the ME 'disease' industry gets flushed down the toilet. And the lazy ME work dodgers can get the fuck off DLA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41336384

The symptoms of ME do exist but probably have a range of underlying causes.

I know someone who had it badly for ?ten years but because the dots were joined, he was practically the subject of a research project, it was identified as being actually down to a virus that he'd caught on one of those outdoor holidays in Nepal.

So if it has a real underlying cause - which can be a range of things - then NLP won't cure it.

If however it has a mental cause (and I certainly accept that mental illness is a real illness) then this particular form of self improvement / way of thinking maybe help.

Good to see a new approach being taken.

ME is not a disease, it's a set of symptoms - like Frank said, there will be many different underlying causes. I ended up with an ME diagnosis based on a few blood tests that missed out several obvious possible causes. Once you get an ME diagnosis, everything that's wrong with you is due to your ME unless it's really obvious that the symptoms don't fit. The only help you are offered is CBT and graduated exercise therapy which is based on the worst study to be published in The Lancet since the MMR vaccine causes autism one - they actually managed to categorise people as recovered when they were worse than at the start. I'm sure some cases of ME have a psychological basis but I think most have a physical cause that just hasn't been found. I think a large proportion is going to turn out to be Lyme disease - the NHS don't test for it much and the tests they use aren't very sensitive, they also tend to say you're cured after a short course of antibiotics even if you still have symptoms. I'm hoping that the new NICE guidelines due out next year will allow for the use of newer testing methods and better treatment.

When in my twenties I went to see the doctor quite regularly because of problems with a lack of energy. This went on for about 18 months.

He ran all of the blood tests and even sent me for an x-ray IIRC but could not get to a diagnosis. There were no indicators that anything was medically wrong.

I do know that towards the end of that period I developed a horrendous respiratory infection which lasted for two weeks and took three different antibiotics to shift it. Again IIRC the standard one, amoxycillin, didn't work, and I had to have erithromycin which did.

Or it just went away. Regardless, the tiredness also went away. I have always wondered whether I actually had some long-running underlying infection which was coincidentally cured by those antibiotics. I felt very different afterwards.

I did indeed use NLP, not for that, but for other things. Because I didn't have ME, I have no idea whether it would work for it without a deeper understanding of both medical science and what really causes or sustains ME but the implication would seem to be that ME is a mental disorder, for example crippling tiredness causes by a stress response to "everything" in which case I imagine it would be of benefit.

NLP seems very strange.  I can only imagine that it only really works in such marginal psychological cases that there wasn't really anything wrong with the person in the first place.  Those 'NLP techniques' that do do seem to work appear (to me) to be much closer to CBT, which has got a bit more meat behind it in terms of moderatish psychological problems.

Of course, NLP does work in marketing (well, insofar as anything works in marketing), and we're subjected to it all the time

NLP is basically like a confidence trick on the mind. It's like listening to a motivational speech.

Which works for a while (a matter of hours, maybe a couple of days) but you then rapidly default back to your 'normal' state.

However if done repeatedly, it can 'stick' - it was effective for me. For example I tend not to get nervous in certain situations like interviews. Actually, and perversely, I quite enjoy things like that.

But, it was coupled with some other techniques too (the one where you clasp a finger and thumb together which reinforces a particular mental state, for instance) which can "divert" the brain away from its normal, default emotional reaction.

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

NLP is basically like a confidence trick on the mind. It's like listening to a motivational speech.

Which works for a while (a matter of hours, maybe a couple of days) but you then rapidly default back to your 'normal' state.

However if done repeatedly, it can 'stick' - it was effective for me. For example I tend not to get nervous in certain situations like interviews. Actually, and perversely, I quite enjoy things like that.

But, it was coupled with some other techniques too (the one where you clasp a finger and thumb together which reinforces a particular mental state, for instance) which can "divert" the brain away from its normal, default emotional reaction.

Well according to the article in the op it costs £650 fora half day session ...your statement works on more than one level 

1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

Well according to the article in the op it costs £650 fora half day session ...your statement works on more than one level 

The more extreme the intervention the more pronounced the placebo effect. If the chancers can make it £6000, it might genuinely be even more effective. :o

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/health/poorly-10-year-old-absolutely-516768

"Hopefully some day they'll have a cure for ME. I've been through this before, don't think you're alone. People said when I first got diagnosed, 'She's faking, it's all in her head. She just wants to be ill, she don't want to go to school.'"

--

Biofeedback?

http://www.raynauds.org/frequently-asked-questions/#FAQ15

On 23/09/2017 at 10:35, sarahbell said:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/health/poorly-10-year-old-absolutely-516768

"Hopefully some day they'll have a cure for ME. I've been through this before, don't think you're alone. People said when I first got diagnosed, 'She's faking, it's all in her head. She just wants to be ill, she don't want to go to school.'"

--

Biofeedback?

Suffering since 3... vocal spokesperson...created a video critising ME...

Shes only 10. Must work like a trojan.

On 23/09/2017 at 10:35, sarahbell said:

--

Biofeedback?

I went through a period of extreme tiredness at about 12 which coincided with my having a bad time at school.

It wasn't faked but I presume it was psychosomatic and I didn't get any concession for it and by not giving into it (or rather not being allowed to give into it) it went away.  I was taken to the doctors but the remedy at the time was glucose tablets for energy which probably didn't help!

If it had been indulged, that is I was gaining a positive advantage from having it, then I would probably have been trying it on after feeling better to continue to have those advantages; as people do who get sickness benefits for a genuine condition but keep claiming these benefits after it improves. 

She should be going to school; they are sympathetic and help.  A lad in my class had dreadful migraines and was allowed to regularly leave lessons and lie in a darkened room until he felt better; kids took the piss as kids do but it was mild and we accepted that he did have the headaches.