Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Truly Great British bands


Guest

Recommended Posts

The Smiths. A mate taped me the debut album - I was underwhelmed, couldn't see the fuss. Then I heard this song - sheer poetry. Loved the Smiths/Morrissey ever since.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis

The Jam and The Smiths were superb.

The Kinks were good but for all of Ray's clever songwriting I found their musical palette very limited; all their songs sounded very similar.  Something that a friend pointed out about my Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables album and I had to concede that it did all sound the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

The Chameleons:

 

Band I'll never tire of listening to, John Lever the drummer died recently but Chameleons Vox are touring, saw them for the first time a couple of years ago and playing at the Fleece in Bristol in May I think, must go again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Band I'll never tire of listening to, John Lever the drummer died recently but Chameleons Vox are touring, saw them for the first time a couple of years ago and playing at the Fleece in Bristol in May I think, must go again. 

I saw them tour here in Toronto a couple of years back having never managed to catch them live in the UK. They played the whole of Script of the Bridge and sounded awesome. Great gig with a brilliant atmosphere too - it's surprising how many fans of British 80s guitar bands there are in Toronto!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I saw them tour here in Toronto a couple of years back having never managed to catch them live in the UK. They played the whole of Script of the Bridge and sounded awesome. Great gig with a brilliant atmosphere too - it's surprising how many fans of British 80s guitar bands there are in Toronto!

Nice one, I suppose indie maintained a pretty strong influence in US/Canada and so the exposure encouraged a lot of UK bands to promote themselves and tour across the pond..   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, onlyme said:

Nice one, I suppose indie maintained a pretty strong influence in US/Canada and so the exposure encouraged a lot of UK bands to promote themselves and tour across the pond..   

I think so, and there's also the scale - 350 million Yanks is a big audience. I've also been struck by how closely the UK and Canadian music scenes seem to have been bound up in the past. When I was living the US I'd often mention well known British acts and get blank looks from people whereas, in Toronto, everyone knows who they are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uptherebels
On 15/04/2017 at 19:36, The XYY Man said:

Slade.

No, really...

 

 

XYY

Great band. My first gig, Colston Hall 1973. Ears ringing for hours! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depeche Mode? They even have guitars now and everything. 

 

 

Bloody predictive text had that as depends more at first (I'll have to have a Google, i might have uncovered a secret super group)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/04/2017 at 21:19, THE MAJOR said:

LED ZEPPELIN.

Gods of rock.

My cousin had the original vinyls, I borrowed them when I was 13 and just getting into wider musical experiences. They fucking blew my mind. At the time there was your standard heavy metal (iron maiden, sabbath).  I taped all the albums and listened to them non-stop.

He also had the original Hendrix Electric Ladyland double album - the one with all the naked 70s women on it. Another outstanding contribution to my musical education.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone for Half Man Half Biscuit?

Peel absolutely loved them, I've liked them for quite a while - but really disappointingly haven't seen them live, something I hope to put right sooner rather than later.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JFK said:

Anyone for Half Man Half Biscuit?

Peel absolutely loved them, I've liked them for quite a while - but really disappointingly haven't seen them live, something I hope to put right sooner rather than later.

 

Yep, saw them at Gloucester leisure centre, mid 80's ish. Hawaiian shirts, shorts and all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Yep, saw them at Gloucester leisure centre, mid 80's ish. Hawaiian shirts, shorts and all. 

Their gigs look really good fun. Especially fans with their Joy Division oven gloves !

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JFK said:

Their gigs look really good fun. Especially fans with their Joy Division oven gloves !

 

I vaguely remember more things flying through the air than normal, and they certainly weren't knickers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, JFK said:

Anyone for Half Man Half Biscuit?

Peel absolutely loved them, I've liked them for quite a while - but really disappointingly haven't seen them live, something I hope to put right sooner rather than later.

 

Lyrical geniuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tabasco Kid said:

Lyrical geniuses.

They are so fucking witty. I love them. Really obscure and well-written :)

 

38 minutes ago, onlyme said:

I vaguely remember more things flying through the air than normal, and they certainly weren't knickers. 

That would be the Joy Division oven gloves :)  

something very surreal about seeing a load of fans with oven gloves , and the infamous fan wearing a dukla prague away kit! That's pure fucking genius.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JFK said:

Anyone for Half Man Half Biscuit?

Peel absolutely loved them, I've liked them for quite a while - but really disappointingly haven't seen them live, something I hope to put right sooner rather than later.

 

Fucking hell, it's Fred Titmus!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Fucking hell, it's Fred Titmus!

Just something so joyous at seeing a load of gig goers shouting that and one of my other faves 'Shit Arm, Bad Tatoo!'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...