• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  

Truly Great British bands

3 minutes ago, Tabasco Kid said:

The Jam. A remarkable band...

The Kinks...

The Smiths. A mate taped me the debut album - I was underwhelmed, couldn't see the fuss. Then I heard this song - sheer poetry. Loved the Smiths/Morrissey ever since.

Edited by Tabasco Kid

The Jam and The Smiths were superb.

The Kinks were good but for all of Ray's clever songwriting I found their musical palette very limited; all their songs sounded very similar.  Something that a friend pointed out about my Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables album and I had to concede that it did all sound the same.

19 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

The Chameleons:

Band I'll never tire of listening to, John Lever the drummer died recently but Chameleons Vox are touring, saw them for the first time a couple of years ago and playing at the Fleece in Bristol in May I think, must go again. 

50 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Band I'll never tire of listening to, John Lever the drummer died recently but Chameleons Vox are touring, saw them for the first time a couple of years ago and playing at the Fleece in Bristol in May I think, must go again. 

I saw them tour here in Toronto a couple of years back having never managed to catch them live in the UK. They played the whole of Script of the Bridge and sounded awesome. Great gig with a brilliant atmosphere too - it's surprising how many fans of British 80s guitar bands there are in Toronto!

30 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I saw them tour here in Toronto a couple of years back having never managed to catch them live in the UK. They played the whole of Script of the Bridge and sounded awesome. Great gig with a brilliant atmosphere too - it's surprising how many fans of British 80s guitar bands there are in Toronto!

Nice one, I suppose indie maintained a pretty strong influence in US/Canada and so the exposure encouraged a lot of UK bands to promote themselves and tour across the pond..   

6 hours ago, onlyme said:

Nice one, I suppose indie maintained a pretty strong influence in US/Canada and so the exposure encouraged a lot of UK bands to promote themselves and tour across the pond..   

I think so, and there's also the scale - 350 million Yanks is a big audience. I've also been struck by how closely the UK and Canadian music scenes seem to have been bound up in the past. When I was living the US I'd often mention well known British acts and get blank looks from people whereas, in Toronto, everyone knows who they are. 

Depeche Mode? They even have guitars now and everything. 

Bloody predictive text had that as depends more at first (I'll have to have a Google, i might have uncovered a secret super group)

On 17/04/2017 at 21:19, THE MAJOR said:

LED ZEPPELIN.

Gods of rock.

My cousin had the original vinyls, I borrowed them when I was 13 and just getting into wider musical experiences. They fucking blew my mind. At the time there was your standard heavy metal (iron maiden, sabbath).  I taped all the albums and listened to them non-stop.

He also had the original Hendrix Electric Ladyland double album - the one with all the naked 70s women on it. Another outstanding contribution to my musical education.

Anyone for Half Man Half Biscuit?

Peel absolutely loved them, I've liked them for quite a while - but really disappointingly haven't seen them live, something I hope to put right sooner rather than later.

10 minutes ago, JFK said:

Peel absolutely loved them, I've liked them for quite a while - but really disappointingly haven't seen them live, something I hope to put right sooner rather than later.

Yep, saw them at Gloucester leisure centre, mid 80's ish. Hawaiian shirts, shorts and all. 

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Yep, saw them at Gloucester leisure centre, mid 80's ish. Hawaiian shirts, shorts and all. 

Their gigs look really good fun. Especially fans with their Joy Division oven gloves !

1 minute ago, JFK said:

Their gigs look really good fun. Especially fans with their Joy Division oven gloves !

I vaguely remember more things flying through the air than normal, and they certainly weren't knickers. 

57 minutes ago, JFK said:

Lyrical geniuses.

17 minutes ago, Tabasco Kid said:

Lyrical geniuses.

They are so fucking witty. I love them. Really obscure and well-written :)

38 minutes ago, onlyme said:

I vaguely remember more things flying through the air than normal, and they certainly weren't knickers. 

That would be the Joy Division oven gloves :)  

something very surreal about seeing a load of fans with oven gloves , and the infamous fan wearing a dukla prague away kit! That's pure fucking genius.

1 hour ago, JFK said:

Fucking hell, it's Fred Titmus!