• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

CRT TVs

4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Hard to predict when tech dies. CDs and DVDs both still around in a big way when other stuff disappears like a switch being flicked.

I binned my VHS recorder, and all the huge tapes. Strangely there is still an enthusiastic following for film cameras. I got rid of one on EBay recently.

15 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Hard to predict when tech dies. CDs and DVDs both still around in a big way when other stuff disappears like a switch being flicked.

CDs are more practical in the car and less dangerous!

I still have a CRT as I'm into retro gaming. LCD's are not good for this hobby as they introduces lag, the picture is poor and you cannot use light guns.

Up until about a year ago you could not give CRT's away as so few people wanted them. And then you're relying on a local wanting it or someone being prepared to travel as you cannot realistically ship it (due to weight and couriers refusal to insure glass). However, as CRT's start to become more scarce prices have started going up. I saw a 1997 Sony Trinitron 29" CRT on ebay go for £92 about a month ago as, not only were they the best picture wise, it was just before all TV's went widescreen. Most of the 80's and 90's consoles were designed for the 4:3 format and look a bit stretched when displayed in 16:9.

In the pursuit of the perfect CRT, some retrogamers have started buying retired broadcast monitors since they are the bees knees when it come to picture. 600, 800, or even 1000 scan lines. Trouble is there aren't many about and the ones that are often have 100,000+ hours of usage. As such, the going rate for these are often more expensive than brand new telle's. I was offered one from a bloke I know - 20" in fairly good nick (they're usually quite battered) with fairly low usage hours (so he claimed) - £399. I politely declined. Although he did sell it for £350 - it was immediately back on ebay for £800. Again, just 5 years ago - the same monitor would of been selling for about 50 quid. It's a combination of word getting about and them becoming more scarce.

I think I need a cheaper hobby.

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

Disappeared really suddenly. Seen in old films only. Funny when they are shown in science fiction films about the "future".O.o

I worked on a Nippon technical glass factory(it made CRT`s/ plasma screens) in Cardiff when it was being built the Japaneses guy in charge basically said your country is fuking nuts (it was mostly funded buy the WDA) i said why his reply was the place will be closed in 7 years everyone knows LCD is just around the corner he was spot on....just letting you know how we spend other peoples tax contributions   

3 hours ago, dgul said:

My child has speech therapy -- in order to work out where their diction is going wrong, they get them to say certain words -- and, as they can't prime the child first as to the sound, they use pictures.

First picture:

Television-tv-set-clipart.png

Child says nothing.

Second picture:

telephone-clip-art-clip-art-telephone-02

Child says nothing, looks a bit confused.

So, the speech therapist starts to encourage child to speak up.

I had to intervene -- 'they've never seen them.  They've got no understanding of what they are'.

I suppose those fancy plastic covered paper cards are expensive and the NHS can't afford to update to the flatscreen, iphone version.

That`s a bit worrying ,you would expect the NHS to have worked that out a long time ago 

Mind you i made a right prick of myself when my daughter was about twelve i played fuck with her maths teacher because my daughter had no concept of fractions at her age...little did i know they are no longer taught  

40 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

That`s a bit worrying ,you would expect the NHS to have worked that out a long time ago 

It could have been worse -- the speech therapist was an Australian.  I was worried that I'd swap one disability for another...  To be fair, despite the Antipodean inflection that she insisted on using, it all worked out okay in the end.

1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

(it was mostly funded buy the WDA)....just letting you know how we spend other peoples tax contributions   

Wales is the 2nd richest economy in the world, thanks to natural resources, water, coal, slate, tin, gold and songs. We are also blessed with some of the world's most intelligent career politicians in our devolved assembly government.

This explains why they have spent millions to plan for a motor racing circuit which will never happen, followed by millions more for an enquiry into why this was thought to be a good idea.

Thanks Tony Blair.

1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Wales is the 2nd richest economy in the world, thanks to natural resources, water, coal, slate, tin, gold and songs. We are also blessed with some of the world's most intelligent career politicians in our devolved assembly government.

This explains why they have spent millions to plan for a motor racing circuit which will never happen, followed by millions more for an enquiry into why this was thought to be a good idea.

Thanks Tony Blair.

The best one has got to be Dragon baits from what i can make out they revived around £2 million pounds in grants in total   ...but no one knows who signed them off :CryBaby:

2 minutes ago, BigV said:

Why is HD TV so shit when too close to the screen? I suppose I could Google this, but maybe other folk can be enlightened too.

I find the SD channels look shit when close up, but HD is fine. Must be something to do with the amount of pixels that get merged for the SD signal?

43 minutes ago, 201p said:

We still use a Sony Triniton CRT as our main TV.

Great colours on a triniton.

38 minutes ago, BigV said:

Why is HD TV so shit when too close to the screen? I suppose I could Google this, but maybe other folk can be enlightened too.

35 minutes ago, Reebo said:

I find the SD channels look shit when close up, but HD is fine. Must be something to do with the amount of pixels that get merged for the SD signal?

Why get so close to the screen?

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

Why get so close to the screen?

I don't watch it from close up, it's just something I noticed the other day when tidying up in front of the TV.

Try finding a 14" VGA monitor with analogue controls. Skiploads thrown out 20 years ago when replaced with nice flat 15" monitors with buttons. As they're a couple of generations back they're almost all gone. Probably more 1950s Bakelite sets left.

7 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Mind you i made a right prick of myself when my daughter was about twelve i played fuck with her maths teacher because my daughter had no concept of fractions at her age...little did i know they are no longer taught  

Wtf? O.o I had no idea the education system had fallen quite so low. I find that astonishing and depressing. Did you get an explanation as to why?