DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What happened to half decent, cheap 2nd hand cars/run arounds?

maffo

the prices in the US were higher than here, maybe these billionaires saw a way to make a quick buck, they can also make EV cars more attractive by distorting the market

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Mouse said:

We  bought a 2018 fiesta from Evans Halshaw and recently sold it to we buy any car for more than we paid for it, totally mad!

I've been on the lookout for a little run around for a relative. Locally a ten year old ford fiesta on a private sale is up for £4k.

And at the moment, that seems to be the going rate. Crazy. Might as well pay a few £k more and get a brand new Dacia.

• Agree 8

45 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

the prices in the US were higher than here, maybe these billionaires saw a way to make a quick buck, they can also make EV cars more attractive by distorting the market

There appear to be a lot of TV advertised car sales companies at the moment. Also buy to lease get rich schemes.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Anecdotally, there was nearly always a car for sale, with details in the window parked up near the local shopping arcade. They were quite a variety, and mostly cheap, like under £2k. These cars do not appear there any more.

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, invalid said:

Might as well pay a few £k more and get a brand new Dacia.

That's if you can get a new one.

Ive read nearly new used Dacias are going for more than list price of new ones.

• Informative 2

9 minutes ago, invalid said:

I've been on the lookout for a little run around for a relative. Locally a ten year old ford fiesta on a private sale is up for £4k.

And at the moment, that seems to be the going rate. Crazy. Might as well pay a few £k more and get a brand new Dacia.

And the new Sandero has had cracking reviews as it's effectively a new Clio; no longer the last generation designs.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Anecdotally, there was nearly always a car for sale, with details in the window parked up near the local shopping arcade. They were quite a variety, and mostly cheap, like under £2k. These cars do not appear there any more.

That's the problem with power of the Internet, I've bought plenty of cars and bikes locally in the past for very fair prices via adverts in corner shop windows or the classifieds in the local rag, so only a limited number of potential purchasers will see the ad.

Now even the cheapest of things are on Gumtree, Facebook etc etc getting exposure to hundreds of thousands of potential buyers many of whom are prepared to travel considerable distances to purchase it.

• Agree 4

12 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

Become disabled

Alternatively, if you're a low-IQd, thuggish fuckwit, join the army.

A dealership near me has has a huge poster in its windows with "Generous Discounts For Members of UK Armed Forces" emblazoned on it.

Great way to alienate the intelligent demographic from your customer base, I'd say.

"Roll up, roll up - 14% off for Zionist mercenaries and child murderers ...." :PissedOff:

• Lol 1

1 hour ago, Royston said:

That's if you can get a new one.

Ive read nearly new used Dacias are going for more than list price of new ones.

That's though current short-lived supply issues from Covid Lockdowns disrupting global markets; all you have to do is wait for normal operations to resume.

Anyone paying a premium above list for a used car now is either mental or has an immediate requirement for a newish car.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Upsettah said:

A dealership near me has has a huge poster in its windows with "Generous Discounts For Members of UK Armed Forces" emblazoned on it.

Great way to alienate the intelligent demographic from your customer base, I'd say.

"Roll up, roll up - 14% off for Zionist mercenaries and child murderers ...." :PissedOff:

Morrisons hacked me off with their 10% off for NHS gold-plated pension TikTok dancers but I'm fine with the armed forces receiving discounts; we are allowed personal views.

• Agree 7

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Morrisons hacked me off with their 10% off for NHS gold-plated pension TikTok dancers but I'm fine with the armed forces receiving discounts; we are allowed personal views.

Of course.Speaking personally, I tend to boycott any company who featherbed the already perma-featherbedded, where I can.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's though current short-lived supply issues from Covid Lockdowns disrupting global markets; all you have to do is wait for normal operations to resume.

Anyone paying a premium above list for a used car now is either mental or has an immediate requirement for a newish car.

Not quite yet, but another part of my wonderful electronic dashboard failed this week. Now the Odometer has gone, along with the fuel gauge, and temperature.

It is the end of days.

• Bogged 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Fair enough. I tend to boycott any company who featherbed the already perma-featherbedded.

9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Not quite yet, but another part of my wonderful electronic dashboard failed this week. Now the Odometer has gone, along with the fuel gauge, and temperature.

It is the end of days.

I had a biggish bill this time, £500, after a few years of low bills.  I'm hoping that means it's fixed for the next few years rather than everything's failing! It was mainly rubber bits like gaiters which won't go on for ever.

A friend's car, coming up to ten years so newer than mine, has just landed her with a £1k bill for starters with the engine problem still unresolved and heading for the main dealer for diagnostics.

She hasn't given the go ahead for any of the work yet but a possible £2k bill on a ten yo car would usually be a "scrap"; she isn't however aware of the current mentalness of second hand car prices so I will be enlightening her prior to that decision point.

• Agree 4

Yeah these transport maintenance costs are brutal.

I can relate .... I had to get new soles on my boots a couple months back. These boots are gonna bankrupt me.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I had to get new soles on my boots a couple months back.

You got boots? Luxury! Bragging cunt. We used ter ave bits of old tyres fixed onto our socks with pop rivets.

• Informative 1
  • Bogged 1

5 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

You got boots? Luxury! Bragging cunt. We used ter ave bits of old tyres fixed onto our socks with pop rivets.

you had socks? you posh cunt

4 minutes ago, snaga said:

you had socks? you posh cunt

Well I say socks, they were hand-woven out of coal dust which we had to dig from 2 miles downt pit then mixed with tripe vomit, but we never used ter complain.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 4
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Upsettah said:

Dunno, sounds like they might actually have found a great way to keep the nutters out.

• Lol 1

6 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah these transport maintenance costs are brutal.

I can relate .... I had to get new soles on my boots a couple months back. These boots are gonna bankrupt me.

They weren't made for walking?

• Agree 1