DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What happened to half decent, cheap 2nd hand cars/run arounds?

maffo

8 hours ago, BoSon said:

Covid has fucked the new car market more than just the 'lack of chips'.

The joneses are no longer at the office day in day out so not as bothered about the brand new leased car every year, instead they're spending the money on doing up their home so they look better on zoom calls. I've seen the adverts pushing this so plenty of covidiots sucked into it.

If not commuting every day then the current car will do.

If leasing or on public transport then a used car becomes more attractive. More to spend on the latest iPhone and other 'must have' stuff of modern life.

Manufacturers rushing to leccy vehicles despite the infrastructure and battery tech not being ready for the masses, so fewer new models for those without leccy plug in at home, and those that are coming out are seen as last of the old generation so already dated in the eyes of the gullibles wanting the latest greatest thing if they can afford the monthlies.

I expect as cars have gotten more complicated in the last 10/20 years so have the repair and maintenance bills, especially for diesels with EGR, DPF, and other acronyms waiting to prise open your wallet as people do short journeys and school runs in something designed to munch the miles.

Plenty of stories of problems with supposedly prestige brands, like brittle plastic issues in BMW engine bays, timing chains no longer life of the vehicle despite originally thought to be, so an expensive replacement as they were not designed to be easily replaced so burried at the back so a big dismantle job, fancy auto gearboxes needing regular servicing or expensive to repair, something often overlooked in 2nd owner+ out of warranty cars. Electronics up the wazoo so need to plug into a computer to diagnose and often the mechanics these days are little more than swap out part donkeys charging you to replace half the car before they find the actual problem, if they ever do.

So used car prices may look silly money but those are the newer ones not worth shit anyway. Find something 10 years+ with solid service history and in good condition, keep it serviced and maintained, and it'll likely be more reliable than the more modern shite built down to a budget that's been poorly looked after by those already stretched by the monthlies of 'essential' life.

If that worried about keeping up with the joneses in a banger, bung on a private plate. xD

That bit in bold especially, all day long, and all night. 

Useless cunts. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

That bit in bold especially, all day long, and all night. 

Useless cunts. 

They probably hold reciprocal views about customers who don’t maintain service schedules.

Edited by SNACR
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, SNACR said:

They probably hold reciprocal views about customers who don’t maintain service schedules.

Actually I agree with Carl.  I've known the service requirements for my vehicles better than qualified mechanics.

Had a coolant change done because I couldn't be bothered - got it home, it's green and not pink. (Silicate vs non-silicate coolant)

Not many people would have even noticed...the mechanic certainly didn't and I SPECIFIED low silicant coolant, as per the handbook.

Then there was the time the dipstick got left out after getting valve clearances checked...only noticed because I actually opened the bonnet to check he'd sealed the rocker cover correctly.

I've always done as much of my own spannering as possible, and now see even less reason to turn to the 'experts'.  Frankly if I hadn't noticed those issues, I'd have been better off not even having the work done.

Edited by Loki
  • Agree 4

11 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's though current short-lived supply issues from Covid Lockdowns disrupting global markets; all you have to do is wait for normal operations to resume.

Anyone paying a premium above list for a used car now is either mental or has an immediate requirement for a newish car.

Ordinarily I would agree with you.

But, I don't know if these supply issues will be so short lived. I mean, just like house prices, they stem from political imperatives and we've been waiting for those to correct for the fat end of 20 years now.

I'm expecting them to continue for a good few years at least and probably to worsen as the West decouples (gradually or violently) from China.

Personally, I'm thinking about investing in machine tools, to make spare parts, now - I remember seeing an episode of Engine Addict filmed in India where the guy goes to some kiosk in a street market and gets a drive shaft machined, I'm thinking that that sort of thing may come here.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 4

11 hours ago, Loki said:

Actually I agree with Carl.  I've known the service requirements for my vehicles better than qualified mechanics.

Had a coolant change done because I couldn't be bothered - got it home, it's green and not pink. (Silicate vs non-silicate coolant)

Not many people would have even noticed...the mechanic certainly didn't and I SPECIFIED low silicant coolant, as per the handbook.

Then there was the time the dipstick got left out after getting valve clearances checked...only noticed because I actually opened the bonnet to check he'd sealed the rocker cover correctly.

I've always done as much of my own spannering as possible, and now see even less reason to turn to the 'experts'.  Frankly if I hadn't noticed those issues, I'd have been better off not even having the work done.

Dozy cunts left the oil cap off when I had my car serviced at the 'reputable' local garage. I guess they had a trainee on the job and couldn't be arsed to quality check the work.

Discovered it when smoke was pouring out from under the bonnet by time I'd driven it home. Fortunate not to have it on fire proper. Saw the cap stuck on the air vents near the wipers so at least they hadn't lost it and it hadn't fallen into the engine bat and out the bottom while driving.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

One of my mates has a 2018 nissan leaf. He needs a ICE car now, So got a price from WBAC. He was offered an astounding £17.5k for it! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

37 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

One of my mates has a 2018 nissan leaf. He needs a ICE car now, So got a price from WBAC. He was offered an astounding £17.5k for it! 

EV prices were hardening before this shit show, that's the new Leaf shape IIRC and only 3 years old if low mileage about right. A car like this with diesel at all time highs at the forecourt does have some advantages and serious money saving potential over the next 10 years.

• Informative 1

47 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Was that the initial price or after they inspected it? They always knock off a lot for every tiny scratch during the inspection. 

• Agree 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10122077/Fancy-cheeky-deal-new-car-Pop-sisters-Cheeky-Girls-reinvent-themselves.html

Neither of the customers who bought their cars from a Hyundai dealership in York on Wednesday afternoon probably expected the deal to be sealed by someone once thrust into the limelight by exhorting people to ‘touch my bum’.

But if you did happen to be one of those two customers, then your sales executive was no less than Gabriela Irimia, one half of the infamous pop duo The Cheeky Girls, whose Cheeky Song featuring those very lyrics went to No 2 in the UK charts in December 2002.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

Was that the initial price or after they inspected it? They always knock off a lot for every tiny scratch during the inspection. 

That was the initial offer. Yo be fair my mate doesn't look after his vehicles very well...

I've got the Financial Times open in front of me. Renault are forecasting they will build 500,000 fewer cars this year due to chip shortages...

That's a big drop in supply...

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

37 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I've got the Financial Times open in front of me. Renault are forecasting they will build 500,000 fewer cars this year due to chip shortages...

Quick! Don't miss out!!

Chewing Grass
40 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Good job most cars are only doing 4-6K miles per year now and most of the demand in the SE is driven by emissions zones.

• Agree 1

The Generation Game
3 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Get ready for that to be exacerbated (I blame Brexit!)

China has Europe in hand, magnesium will run out in a few weeks. You can't make a car without it

https://www.idnes.cz/auto/zpravodajstvi/horcik-magnezium-idnes-auto-prumysl.A211020_090048_automoto_fdv?zdroj=vybava_idnes

All indications are that the current chip crisis in the automotive industry is just a warm-up to what is coming to Europe. By the end of the year, China, a monopoly magnesium producer, had significantly cut production and cut exports. This will have very dramatic effects not only on car production in Europe, but also for many other sectors.

Current magnesium reserves in Germany and throughout Europe are expected to be depleted at the end of November 2021. This is a bad news not only for the automotive and aerospace industries or e-bike manufacturers, but also for the construction, packaging and engineering industries. The German association WV Metalle has sounded the alarm and is urging the German government to negotiate intensively with its Chinese counterparts. But the big question is whether redress will be possible as quickly as it should be. Giant American aluminum producer Alcoa and aluminum alloy supplier Matalco are also watching the situation with concern.

Europe is 95 percent dependent on magnesium from China. The rest is mined in Russia, USA, Kazakhstan and Israel.

Rest is paywalled. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

30 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Get ready for that to be exacerbated (I blame Brexit!)

China has Europe in hand, magnesium will run out in a few weeks. You can't make a car without it

https://www.idnes.cz/auto/zpravodajstvi/horcik-magnezium-idnes-auto-prumysl.A211020_090048_automoto_fdv?zdroj=vybava_idnes

All indications are that the current chip crisis in the automotive industry is just a warm-up to what is coming to Europe. By the end of the year, China, a monopoly magnesium producer, had significantly cut production and cut exports. This will have very dramatic effects not only on car production in Europe, but also for many other sectors.

Current magnesium reserves in Germany and throughout Europe are expected to be depleted at the end of November 2021. This is a bad news not only for the automotive and aerospace industries or e-bike manufacturers, but also for the construction, packaging and engineering industries. The German association WV Metalle has sounded the alarm and is urging the German government to negotiate intensively with its Chinese counterparts. But the big question is whether redress will be possible as quickly as it should be. Giant American aluminum producer Alcoa and aluminum alloy supplier Matalco are also watching the situation with concern.

Europe is 95 percent dependent on magnesium from China. The rest is mined in Russia, USA, Kazakhstan and Israel.

Rest is paywalled. 

What is magnesium for, in a car?

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Guessing it is alloyed with aluminium for a whole range of castings.

Yes, like magnesium alloy wheels, used on some motorbikes way back.

There was nothing wrong with a spoked steel rim.

Just now, MrPin said:

Yes, like magnesium alloy wheels, used on some motorbikes way back.

There was nothing wrong with a spoked steel rim.

Weight apparently - 75  percent lighter than steel, lighter than aluminium too, energy saving over the lifetime of the car a primary driver for the push to magnesium.

Unfortunate list of major reserves, considering current geopolitics.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 18.27.38.png

Just now, onlyme said:

Weight apparently - 75  percent lighter than steel, lighter than aluminium too, energy saving over the lifetime of the car a primary driver for the push to magnesium.

Unfortunate list of major reserves, considering current geopolitics.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 18.27.38.png

Let's go back to steel wheels with a nice shiny hubcap.

• Agree 3