DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Huge potential

sarahbell

Forget the house, the 13 acres of land would be worth millions if you can get planning for some houses. looks like a perfect bit of land for infill housing.

7 hours ago, invalid said:

Forget the house, the 13 acres of land would be worth millions if you can get planning for some houses. looks like a perfect bit of land for infill housing.

That was my thought too. Direct "A road" access with good visibility, no obvious planning restraints, might throw up a few issues with encroachment and suburban sprawl but nothing an appeal to the Secretary of State wouldn't resolve. Someone's going to make a killing off that.

I can see the local cries of "it's a floodplan for the River Medlock!" and the resulting stitch up flooding/attenuation reports already.

3 hours ago, spunko said:

That was my thought too. Direct "A road" access with good visibility, no obvious planning restraints, might throw up a few issues with encroachment and suburban sprawl but nothing an appeal to the Secretary of State wouldn't resolve. Someone's going to make a killing off that.

I can see the local cries of "it's a floodplan for the River Medlock!" and the resulting stitch up flooding/attenuation reports already.

I think the river us fairly low down away from the land. 

Ideal for a horrible housing estate.

55 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I think the river us fairly low down away from the land. 

Ideal for a horrible housing estate.

The carpets though.............wtf......there's people been before teh Hague for less....

9 hours ago, sancho panza said:

The carpets though.............wtf......there's people been before teh Hague for less....

They'll be really good quality wool carpets. They just look like they belong in a Holt's pub.

8 hours ago, Harley said:

Maybe that big house or whatever nearby in the woods ain't going to like any development.

There's a big lump of flats in the woods nearer the main road

2 hours ago, spunko said:

Thing is even if they all manage to stump up £10k for a large extra plot that's only £250k. You could flog that land with PP for easily £5M.

Yes that’s true if ,but there’s 13 acres it depends how patient you are and how much money you have .extending the gardens still leaves room for 25 built behind the extended gardens IMO actually you could probably still get 2 rows of houses in after they had extended the gardens then sell the field opposite once planning is sorted 

464C006A-26A1-45DB-8C8C-1762F4557C24.png

"Edge of village location'' ah yes the quaint little picture postcard village of Ashton-under-Lyne!

Spent most of my childhood around Bardsley Vale and Daisy Nook, i'm surprised it's not already been infilled with urban sprawl between Ashton and Oldham.

On 31/10/2021 at 07:54, Royston said:

"Edge of village location'' ah yes the quaint little picture postcard village of Ashton-under-Lyne!

Spent most of my childhood around Bardsley Vale and Daisy Nook, i'm surprised it's not already been infilled with urban sprawl between Ashton and Oldham.

Yeah they've not quite finished it. If a developer gets this bit though...

I actually watched a bit of this last night. Wasn't to my taste, but the comments and scorn from this journalist should be enough for anyone considering buying a Listed Building to re-think. You will have every man and his horse commenting and criticising.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10190369/George-Clarkes-Old-House-New-Home-viewers-slam-couple-ruining-Georgian-farmhouse.html

12 minutes ago, spunko said:

I actually watched a bit of this last night. Wasn't to my taste, but the comments and scorn from this journalist should be enough for anyone considering buying a Listed Building to re-think. You will have every man and his horse commenting and criticising.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10190369/George-Clarkes-Old-House-New-Home-viewers-slam-couple-ruining-Georgian-farmhouse.html

I usually like what Geoprge Clarke does but this was awful.  I'm surprised it got planning permission.  I wanted them to re-instate the front door not build that extension on the back.  They could have knocked down all the addons at the back and turned it back to its former state when it was first built.

3 minutes ago, janch said:

I usually like what Geoprge Clarke does but this was awful.  I'm surprised it got planning permission.  I wanted them to re-instate the front door not build that extension on the back.  They could have knocked down all the addons at the back and turned it back to its former state when it was first built.

I think they wanted to go for the parapet roof look, which to be fair is Georgian. It is hard to get right. Something with a few more windows would have looked better, or made of proper stucco. The render and the windows didn't really work for me... something like this would have been better (brick):

EMH-1006.jpg

The problem is that the original house (IMO) didn't appear to be really of much historical merit. There are much, much nicer houses in the Cotswolds of that period and size.

Archived