• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Don't keep calm, don't carry on

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

We need to keep things in perspective.

There is far too much concern about Islamic terror.

More of us are likely to be killed or injured in road traffic accidents.

I think you are right, and I'm not the remotest interested in Islam. Only the media is. It's rather like golf and fox hunting.

17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've buried this away in a couple of threads but in my lack of humility I think it deserves its own thread.

We have a real and active islamic terrorist threat in Britain, Europe, when we travel, and in our tourist destinations.

The response of the British and EU governments is "Carry on, leave it to us, trust us".

They have however taken no special measures beyond those that they took with, say, animal rights extremists. They monitor them, they watch them, and after they have carried out their acts (non-lethal in the case of the animal rights people) they arrest them and try them.  The latest pathetic attempt is cracking down on internet "hate speech".

When the IRA was active the following were brought in:

Internment

Armed troops patrolling the streets in "no go" areas

Closed Diplock courts

The acceptance of "supergrass" evidence

Covert and unadmitted lethal operations against the most dangerous terrorists

Special responses to a special threat when the existing system is insufficient.  All brought in for the IRA, who actively tried to prevent "civilian" casualties most of the time.

We now have a less structured terror group that repeatedly and deliberately targets civilians and actively chooses to attack women and children.

And the response is?

Nothing.

Some guff about carrying on.

No, not good enough.

Don't go to London, Paris, Stockholm. Don't holiday in Muslim countries. Avoid any event that may be a terrorist target until the government finally bows to the economic pressure and finally takes the action required to defend its people and it's borders.

I'd forgotten all that was done for the IRA, it's true. There are plenty of "Covert and unadmitted lethal operations against the most dangerous terrorists" going on abroad, but we seem to have got too poncey to do that at home. Or perhaps they are too easily exposed, at the time the SAS were killing terrorists in Ireland we didn't all have mobile phones with video cameras.

1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

Even I think you should be more interested, Pinny. The biggest problem with Islam IMO is not actually the terrorism, horrible as it is, it's the fact that they like to get involved in politics, and Muslims will all vote for Muslim candidates. Eventually one of these candidates will be like Mr Erdogan.

In comparison to the previous batch of terrorists, the IRA, they get involved in politics far more than the IRA people ever did on the mainland.  The IRA's aims were to do with Ireland and they didn't want to take over whole districts, towns of England just for the sake of expanding their power.  They weren't as rich either so although there might have been some bribery etc it wasn't feasible for it to be on the same scale. They didn't want to introduce their own version of the law. 

Those running things in the UK didn't hear the sound KERCHING every time something to do with the IRA and Ireland came up - at any rate not to the same extent.

Edited by twocents

1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

True now, but more likely tomorrow and the next day and the next ....

1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Not in 20 years time. Be too late then.

(And I don't mean because self driving cars will make roads safer 😀)

1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

Even I think you should be more interested, Pinny. The biggest problem with Islam IMO is not actually the terrorism, horrible as it is, it's the fact that they like to get involved in politics, and Muslims will all vote for Muslim candidates. Eventually one of these candidates will be like Mr Erdogan.

In the unlikely event this occurred, against script, and once in office they strayed off the real TPTB's message I guarantee they'd have about a month before they were involved in some sex game that went fatally wrong.

Voting and politics achieves nothing, we're well on the way to the 2nd Brexit anniversary and nothing will have happened but people will still go on hoovering up the news and voting for carefully selected puppets.

Look at all the North Korea wibble in the MSM, 'Kim's upping the ante and Trump's talking tough'. It's all nonsense when you think about it. The NK party leadership, have been to the West, they know their country's an impoverished joke and they're as unlikely to ever engage militarily with the US as Trump is to ever build that wall. The country's tightly controlled so any photos leaking out for some wibble in the western MSM, of Kim looking at some military kit, is deliberate and they probably get a ship full of grain, from the US, for each one they provide.

37 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I think it wise to be calm, but people are attracted to fear, and I don't want that, as I am too busy.O.o

Yeah, funny how we never get a lean spell, for a few years, when there are no terrorists.

It isn't just the fear of being caught in a terrorist incident (which is low), it's the fear of what lies behind it. I have to say I'm less inclined to go into London now unless for work and I tend to avoid the Tube even when I do. I had forgotten what actions the Govt took against Irish terrorists so yes, the reponse we have now is pathetic. I think we do need to consider what actions we can take, let London's economy suffer by staying away. Keep calm and carry on to me now means keep calm and carry on trying to preserve our way of life - so taking action which might if done collectively, mean that the fuckwits in Westminster grow some balls and take positive action to protect us.

2 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

As a society we accept so many people will be killed each year in car accidents because cars are such useful tools. We couldn't have a modern life without being able to drive to work and on holiday etc.

What real benefits do we get from Muslim immigration? OK, some muslims are productive members of society. However I'd argue that overall islamic migration is a drain to the West. So we have terrorist deaths but we don't get anything positive to compensate society for these deaths.

The only really good thing we've had from Muslim immigration is tasty food. Even then it's easy enough for British people to cook currys.

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

In the unlikely event this occurred, against script, and once in office they strayed off the real TPTB's message I guarantee they'd have about a month before they were involved in some sex game that went fatally wrong.

Yeah, funny how we never get a lean spell, for a few years, when there are no terrorists.

Eurasia is swapped with Eastasia, and nobody is the wiser.O.o

5 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Islamic terrorism is like Iranian nuclear weapons - a fat tailed risk, where nothing very bad happens to many people until WHAMMO - it's a massive disaster.  Fat tailed risks mean you have to act BEFORE the WHAMMO happens.

That explain it for you simply enough?

That is an excellent way of putting it. I must remember that.

8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've buried this away in a couple of threads but in my lack of humility I think it deserves its own thread.

We have a real and active islamic terrorist threat in Britain, Europe, when we travel, and in our tourist destinations.

The response of the British and EU governments is "Carry on, leave it to us, trust us".

They have however taken no special measures beyond those that they took with, say, animal rights extremists. They monitor them, they watch them, and after they have carried out their acts (non-lethal in the case of the animal rights people) they arrest them and try them.  The latest pathetic attempt is cracking down on internet "hate speech".

When the IRA was active the following were brought in:

Internment

Armed troops patrolling the streets in "no go" areas

Closed Diplock courts

The acceptance of "supergrass" evidence

Covert and unadmitted lethal operations against the most dangerous terrorists

Special responses to a special threat when the existing system is insufficient.  All brought in for the IRA, who actively tried to prevent "civilian" casualties most of the time.

We now have a less structured terror group that repeatedly and deliberately targets civilians and actively chooses to attack women and children.

And the response is?

Nothing.

Some guff about carrying on.

No, not good enough.

Don't go to London, Paris, Stockholm. Don't holiday in Muslim countries. Avoid any event that may be a terrorist target until the government finally bows to the economic pressure and finally takes the action required to defend its people and it's borders.

Remove ban on UK citizens haivng firearms,

Shoot the fucker muzzas.

Faiuling that, dont let them off the plane.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Remove ban on UK citizens haivng firearms,

Shoot the fucker muzzas.

Faiuling that, dont let them off the plane.

Unfortunately UK citizens have equal rights irrespective of whether their family has been here 1000 years or 1000 days.

So by default we would arm the internal enemy.

7 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Unfortunately UK citizens have equal rights irrespective of whether their family has been here 1000 years or 1000 days.

So by default we would arm the internal enemy.

I suspect large numbers of them are already better armed than the local police forces.

My wife really wants to go to Paris (she has never been).

I really don't want to take her and the kids, for obvious security reasons.  Her argument is "it's only going to get worse, and it might be my last chance to see the Eiffel tower before it gets really bad'.

AIBU?

2 minutes ago, wherebee said:

My wife really wants to go to Paris (she has never been).

I really don't want to take her and the kids, for obvious security reasons.  Her argument is "it's only going to get worse, and it might be my last chance to see the Eiffel tower before it gets really bad'.

AIBU?

A friend and her (black) Gahanise husband went to France with the kids - you know, city of light and all that.

He (black) did not fee l comfortable - 'There were so many africans there''