• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Charities you no longer support

I like doing my bit for charities by financially supporting them. However I no longer support a lot of charities due to what they do with the money.

I no longer give money to charities that support asylum seekers in Europe. So that's the Red Cross, Oxfam, Amnesty International and MSF etc out the window.

I no longer support charities that keep Africans alive with food aid. So again that's UNICEF, Save the Children and Oxfam out the window.

Anyone else got a charity boycott list?

I used to volunteer for Oxfam -- hanging around high streets getting people to put cash in bucket, that sort of thing.    

I don't even donate to them any more.

PETA - Bunch of absolute lunatics. 

Greenpeace - Have become progressively more militant over the past five years or so. Some of their behaviour has gone beyond legitimate protest and they are turning/have turned into the environmental equivalent of PETA.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

I used to volunteer for Oxfam -- hanging around high streets getting people to put cash in bucket, that sort of thing.    

I don't even donate to them any more.

Why did you stop supporting them?

When I was a kid I used to go round the local houses collecting for the Red Cross with my mum. After I saw they supported economic migrants in Europe I just wouldn't give them money.

It's the same with the Salvation Army. I used to give, however I saw they support economic migrants and I will no longer give.

RSPCA would be top of my list,  though technically I have never donated to them.

The only charity I ever gave to routinely was the RNLI,   but I stopped when a Facebook campaign they ran made me realise what they actually spend the money on.  To me the RNLI was always about lifeboats and saving people stranded at sea..  apparently now this function is being reduced and instead more money is being spent on "beach safety".  Giving free frizbees to idiots on the beach isn't how I imagined my money being spent.

I hesitate to add the national trust to my list.  Only because they were donated land by a lady my family knew who wished it to remain available to local people to continue using it rather than goint to private ownership.  The national trust promptly put up signs declaring it a conservation area and banning access.

If anyone has first hand experience of a genuinely good charity it would be good to know who to safely give some money to.

What lispero said. I used to support rnli until I was informed by a very reliable source that they are awash with money. They will replace a top of the range engine which has nothing wrong with it. The engine is then sold to a mate for next to nothing 

i don't give to charity, charity begins at home.

I buy a poppy each year  

23 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I like doing my bit for charities by financially supporting them. However I no longer support a lot of charities due to what they do with the money.

I no longer give money to charities that support asylum seekers in Europe. So that's the Red Cross, Oxfam, Amnesty International and MSF etc out the window.

I no longer support charities that keep Africans alive with food aid. So again that's UNICEF, Save the Children and Oxfam out the window.

As per your list also because I think they pay huge salaries to their CEO's. I also refuse to support the RSPCA as they seem to have forgotten what they were set up to do. We have a clause in our wills that stipulates that should we pre-decease  any pets provision is to be made for them via a donation to the appropriate charity excluding the RSPCA, my will writer said that she has had many clients who didn't want to leave money to them. I support local small charities in my area - one that works with the elderly and mentors school kids , and one that cares for chronic and terminally ill children.

28 minutes ago, Libspero said:

If anyone has first hand experience of a genuinely good charity it would be good to know who to safely give some money to.

Look for 

i) Local

ii) Terminal care hospice type charities.

Seem to be the best of the bunch and a deserving cause when humans are most in need.

I've stopped visiting quite a few charity shops recently, already mentioned.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

When they decided it was better to use chuggers over volunteers.  At that point it became obvious that Oxfam was a business not a charity.

Any charity with chuggers is an instant avoid.

Edited by onlyme

I no longer give any money to any large charities of any type (in the UK or Canada). As others have said, they've mostly turned into political lobby groups or straightforward commercial operations mainly concerned with the CEO's salary. Instead, I give one, pretty decent sized, chunk of cash a year to a local Toronto charity who steer clear of all that kind of stuff and do a lot of good work locally.

36 minutes ago, Libspero said:

These guys are good: http://www.cnh.on.ca/

15 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I only support charities trying to bring woodwind instruments to those without. Bassoons for Zuid Afrika. Those hefty girls will get the hang of it.

I met Roger Birnstingl the other day.  

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

I met Roger Birnstingl the other day.  

One of my mates has a bassoon. He is too small for it.

I bought a tenor sax, which looks normal on me, but this bloke didn't. How does he get it home on the bus?

Edited by MrPin

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Much the same as you for the same reasons.

I do support our local wildlife trust, our local hedgehog rescue and I'm treasurer of a small (non charitable status) local urban wildlife group.

To be honest I view 99.9% of charities with the same contempt as I do global corporations.

The Wildlife trusts. I volunteered a few times. At this one site out the sticks we were sent to do some coppicing or other bullshit. I was chatting to the woodsman/manager of the estate out of ear shot of the lentil eaters. He was telling me the guy who owned it was a millionaire and the only point in us being there was so he could apply for grants and get even more money, turn it into a wild butterfly field or whatever shite there was money for that year. All the landowners being all chummy with the top brass at all the local wildlife trusts to get the government and EU money flowing in.

10 minutes ago, NTB said:

Much the same as you for the same reasons.

I do support our local wildlife trust, our local hedgehog rescue and I'm treasurer of a small (non charitable status) local urban wildlife group.

check my post above, you might want to reconsider