DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

VW ID3 2022

longtomsilver

longtomsilver

I've taken the plunge and ordered a VW ID3 Life Pro for March delivery - reason being is that my 19 plate Skoda CitiGo has covered 60,050 miles and as such is no longer covered by the warranty, a few starting issues/gremlins appeared in the last hundred or so miles although that appears to have been a glitch. Anyway, I've been offered silly money for that in px and it will have 70k on the odometer by the time it comes to change.

With all the discounts/subsidies my finance will be £20,054 and a monthly payment of £250.. I maybe able to stay in equity if I decide to sell before the final payment comes due. The only extra I've added is the 18" alloys in place of the steel wheels. 

On an Octopus Go tariff on my typical miles I should be able to save £160p/month fuel costs (assuming blended 3.7p/mile blended rate.

Real range is 220 summer/180 winter. 

I'll blog my experience here.

• Informative 3

longtomsilver
45 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

What is your daily use case? 

School run 80 miles (20-20-20-20) x 3-4 and either 150 or 200 mile day trips to my hills otherwise local.

Edited by longtomsilver
  • Informative 1

Popuplights
56 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

School run 80 miles (20-20-20-20) x 3-4 and either 150 or 200 mile day trips to my hills otherwise local.

Looks ideal then. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

That’s a long old school run! Will be interested in your views on the ID3 when you get it.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

longtomsilver
23 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

That’s a long old school run! Will be interested in your views on the ID3 when you get it.

I will do - there's quite a wait though :)

• Cheers 1

On 30/10/2021 at 13:03, longtomsilver said:

I should be able to save £160p/month fuel costs (assuming blended 3.7p/mile blended rate.

what's this blended rate?

so the car is costing 3 grand a year but you're saving £1920 in fuel, interesting....what consumables and any service costs you foresee? bit lardy leccy cars so they probs get through tyres quicker....and a few brake pads.....everything else should last a long time hopefully!

longtomsilver
3 hours ago, nirvana said:

what's this blended rate?

so the car is costing 3 grand a year but you're saving £1920 in fuel, interesting....what consumables and any service costs you foresee? bit lardy leccy cars so they probs get through tyres quicker....and a few brake pads.....everything else should last a long time hopefully!

The wall charger I'll be getting charges at 7kWh and takes upto 9 hours for a full charge. The best tariff I can find only offers off-peak of 5p from the hours of 00:30-04:30 hitherto it'll be a blended rate between that and 24p.

I'll be charging in a way that does not unnecessarily degrade the battery so slowly and fully. Prolific use of fast chargers can degrade the battery by 8%+/- per annum. Some Tesla's have only lost 10% of range at 300 thousand miles. A charge cycle could be from 20%-80%, 10%-90% or 5%-100% it does not discriminate and batteries are generally warranted for 1000 cycles (i.e. to 70% of range).

I doubt I'll be saving money overall (as per your calculations) but my costs are predictable and costed for in my spreadsheet.

Either 2 services for £299 or 3 for £399 12months/18,000miles. Which one I choose will depend on how long I decide to keep the car.. 2 services would get me my 50,000 or 3 70,000 miles.

Edit: I have a buyer for the car already lined up, namely my mother (£18k).

Edited by longtomsilver
  • Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
longtomsilver

Update: I'm cancelling my order and getting another Skoda CitiGo except it'll be a VW Up as that's the only ICE variant available now.

Reason for this change of mind.. I've spent about a month trying to sort both my meter and energy provider. The meter I have is the correct one but for it to communicate with the charging hub and energy supplier it requires a software update. 3 phone calls to British Gas... queuing for upto 2 hours at a time to be swiftly told an engineer will be booked for xx/xx/xx date and for them never to arrive - made me realise they just want me off the phone. One person did say you'd be looking at a wait of at least 6-8 months but wouldn't be able to put that in writing. So I tried Octopus who said they would be able to take me as a customer now but on a temporary tariff until my meter is updated and the rate I'd be paying was 34.7p/kWh! They then said that they too wouldn't be able to give me a timeframe and that they don't even have engineers up north i.e. never

I can't be the only one having trouble trying to be green(wash).

• Informative 1