DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

A good night’s sleep…

Hail the Tripod

Hail the Tripod

Interesting video on sleep: 

tldr: There a “healthy” habits that may help oscillate properly between alertness and sleep, rather than perpetually stuck feeling tired all day but sleeping poorly.

• Informative 4

7 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

tldr: There a “healthy” habits that may help oscillate properly between alertness and sleep, rather than perpetually stuck feeling tired all day but sleeping poorly.

haha, you must have been watching the videos I've been posting as youtube just recommended the same video, not watched it yet, but I will now.

• Informative 1

20 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Very interesting. Another one of things I wish I'd have watched and followed 30 years ago

I can definitely relate to the bit from 8:20: I started to push [keto diet] by drinking 2 butter coffees in the morning and macadamia nuts by handful, and my feeling more and more sluggish woke up to the fact that I was putting on weight. 

I like the suggestion of carbs in the evening to help sleep. Wonder if beer would be allowed for that purpose. 

• Agree 2

I used to suffer waking up at 3am and not being able to go back to sleep.  Gone now, or if I do I dose right off again.  Not sure why.  I did take some melatonin for a while which helped.  I also fall asleep in front of the TV and log burner early in the evening.  I also feel less stressed but actually think that's because I'm sleeping better, which in turn makes me sleep better!  That is, the opposite effect of normal.  Or maybe I'm ill!  Anyways, odd is this and good luck. 

• 2 months later...

After getting up at 04:45, training hard for an hour* at 06:00, and two half-hour walks at lunch and after tea - it's bedtime. Bloody knackered...

24 weighted pull ups + 20kg

30 weighted dips + 60kg

100 leg presses @ 190kg

Then calf, bi and tri fun stuff.

Interesting, one other aspect that he didn't highlight in the video was Glycemic Index [how rapidly a food effects blood sugar level] and Glycemic Load [how much a food raises blood sugar level], and so here is my understanding; please do your own research to corroborate that this is correct. Refined Carbs generally have high GI and so on their own would have both a high GI and GL. This said, you can lessen the effects of a refined carb 'portion' by eating with another food type i.e. protein or fats and/or fibre, basically what you are doing is reducing the amount of GI in the meal and as a result also reducing the GL; this helps explain a point earlier in the video.

The other aspect of interest in the 'feeding window'. After eating our insulin levels [used to 'move' or store surplus sugars/glucose into our cells as fat] are high, and then gradually reduce over a 12 hrs period as the glucose is stored. After this point we are in a fasted state and our metabolism is 'resting'. Unfortunately modern eating habits/food availability i.e. 07.00 AM until 09.00 PM = 14hrs  means that we never get into the fasted/'resting' period.

If you want to read further Google 'Time Restricted feeding' for the lowdown, but obviously choose what you read/believe critically.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

Interesting, one other aspect that he didn't highlight in the video was Glycemic Index [how rapidly a food effects blood sugar level] and Glycemic Load [how much a food raises blood sugar level], and so here is my understanding; please do your own research to corroborate that this is correct. Refined Carbs generally have high GI and so on their own would have both a high GI and GL. This said, you can lessen the effects of a refined carb 'portion' by eating with another food type i.e. protein or fats and/or fibre, basically what you are doing is reducing the amount of GI in the meal and as a result also reducing the GL; this helps explain a point earlier in the video.

The other aspect of interest in the 'feeding window'. After eating our insulin levels [used to 'move' or store surplus sugars/glucose into our cells as fat] are high, and then gradually reduce over a 12 hrs period as the glucose is stored. After this point we are in a fasted state and our metabolism is 'resting'. Unfortunately modern eating habits/food availability i.e. 07.00 AM until 09.00 PM = 14hrs  means that we never get into the fasted/'resting' period.

If you want to read further Google 'Time Restricted feeding' for the lowdown, but obviously choose what you read/believe critically.

When you eat is irrelevant, apart from around intense exercise. 

1 minute ago, MrXxxx said:

And your level of experience to make such a statement?

It's what studies have shown.

I've tried all sorts in 20+ years of consistent weightlifting. The most important aspects I've found are mental frame going into the session, and caffeine.

I spent a couple of years on bodybuilding forums, seeing people argue over the 1% things. 99% is just getting the activity done...

2 minutes ago, Stuey said:

It's what studies have shown.

I've tried all sorts in 20+ years of consistent weightlifting. The most important aspects I've found are mental frame going into the session, and caffeine.

I spent a couple of years on bodybuilding forums, seeing people argue over the 1% things. 99% is just getting the activity done...

Please attach the PDF's of the studies; I assume you are talking about peer reviewed articles?, as your comment goes against the research/everything I have read that has been published in the last 20 years.

10 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Please attach the PDF's of the studies; I assume you are talking about peer reviewed articles?, as your comment goes against the research/everything I have read that has been published in the last 20 years.

Start here. It's well referenced

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/does-nutrient-timing-matter

"For elite athletes, nutrient timing may provide an important competitive advantage.

However, the current research doesn’t support the importance of nutrient timing for most people who are simply trying to lose weight, gain muscle or improve health.

Instead, focus your efforts on consistency, daily calorie intake, food quality and sustainability.

When you’ve got all the basics down, then you may wish to move your attention to more advanced methods like nutrient timing."

Edited by Stuey
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Just had a look at the Abstracts for all the articles cited on that websource and the focus is on post-exercise, and predominantly muscle atrophy/hypertrophy. This wasn't the point that I originally made i.e. feeding timings, and the release of hormonal response in the endocrine system .

Edited by MrXxxx

your last meal should be as far away from beddy time as possible....and watch out for too much salt

a neighbour gave me some homemade vege soup the other week, v.kind of her but she'd ruined it with too much salt and my body wasn't too happy about it....shoulda stopped eating it when I realised dur

21 hours ago, Stuey said:

It doesn't matter...

well it does for me.....i'd rather not go to bed on a 'full stomach', more chance of getting indigestion....

most fat arses' bodies aren't trained properly so they suffer from 'hunger'......you don't actually need to eat that much to never ever suffer from hunger :Old:

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, nirvana said:

well it does for me.....i'd rather not go to bed on a 'full stomach', more chance of getting indigestion....

most fat arses' bodies aren't trained properly so they suffer from 'hunger'......you don't actually need to eat that much to never ever suffer from hunger :Old:

I reckon there's two types of hunger, one for pure calories and the other for nutrition.

If you don't satisfy the nutrition hunger, you'll get hunger pangs for Pringles, Dunkin' and other shite 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Battenberg
On 30/01/2022 at 11:26, nirvana said:

your last meal should be as far away from beddy time as possible....and watch out for too much salt

a neighbour gave me some homemade vege soup the other week, v.kind of her but she'd ruined it with too much salt and my body wasn't too happy about it....shoulda stopped eating it when I realised dur

Did you have the munchies at the time?

• Lol 1

A good nights sleep is something I am craving right now. I don't quite know what it is but I have just been unable to fall asleep this week. I try to go to bed for about 11pm, but find I am still trying at 2am. I get up at 7am just to try and not fall into bad habits, but the same thing keeps happening.

I try to do the correct things such as not eating or drinking for a number of hours before bed, limit the devices and gadgets and all of that, but something in my head is just not switching off. Even tried popping some valium and melatonin a couple of nights, but it did nothing.

Grant me some sleep oh mighty usurper of thy nocturnal slumber. I am blood knackered!

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, Bill Car said:

A good nights sleep is something I am craving right now. I don't quite know what it is but I have just been unable to fall asleep this week. I try to go to bed for about 11pm, but find I am still trying at 2am. I get up at 7am just to try and not fall into bad habits, but the same thing keeps happening.

I try to do the correct things such as not eating or drinking for a number of hours before bed, limit the devices and gadgets and all of that, but something in my head is just not switching off. Even tried popping some valium and melatonin a couple of nights, but it did nothing.

Grant me some sleep oh mighty usurper of thy nocturnal slumber. I am blood knackered!

You could try some CBD oil or Valerium, some people has reported results with this, although with some people [myself included] they can actually have the opposite effect!

Good that you are not looking at screens; should be at least 4 hrs before bed. No fluids/Caffeine 6 hrs before bedtime, and also try also to avoid exercise 6 hrs before bed; if I do an evening run I suffer from a good nights sleep..also avoid hot baths/showers too close to bedtime i.e. <2hrs. Also alcohol, although it makes you sleepy, it stops you from going into the deeper, more beneficial sleep phase. Finally, if you haven't fallen to sleep within 30 mins turn the light back on, read for 30 mins [something light/unimportant like a novel] and then try again....I have found that sometimes I have to do this a couple of times, but eventually my brain 'gives up' and then I have a good sleep....

...I bet after reading this post you are feeling sleepy already eh? :-)

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

You could try some CBD oil or Valerium, some people has reported results with this, although with some people [myself included] they can actually have the opposite effect!

Good that you are not looking at screens; should be at least 4 hrs before bed. No fluids/Caffeine 6 hrs before bedtime, and also try also to avoid exercise 6 hrs before bed; if I do an evening run I suffer from a good nights sleep..also avoid hot baths/showers too close to bedtime i.e. <2hrs. Also alcohol, although it makes you sleepy, it stops you from going into the deeper, more beneficial sleep phase. Finally, if you haven't fallen to sleep within 30 mins turn the light back on, read for 30 mins [something light/unimportant like a novel] and then try again....I have found that sometimes I have to do this a couple of times, but eventually my brain 'gives up' and then I have a good sleep....

...I bet after reading this post you are feeling sleepy already eh? :-)

All good tips. Not sure I can get CDB oil out here, but Valerian should be good to go and I have not tried that before. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the tips.

I have had some stress lately too which has definitely not helped, but I did finally manage to fall asleep last night and got a most welcome 7 hours. I wanted to sleep beyond my alarm, but I won't take that risk.

It is a topic I have read up on a lot over the years because I have always had problems with sleep, but sometimes that 'off switch' just cannot be found, especially if you are feeling some emotional strain. I guess you have to just weather those storms the best you can.

That tip you gave of just getting up and doing something else for a bit is something I could definitely do more of. I guess I get a bit panicky about doing that fearing 'I will just never go to sleep if I do something', but then you always seem to in the end even if just for a few hours.

Some are able to take naps, sleep in, and don't seem to have the same degree of sensitivity about it all. I wish I could be a bit more like that really. 

• Agree 1