DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Best free graphing software for Windows

Norfolk Variant

Question

Norfolk Variant

Hi,

I've got lots of comma delimited CSV files that I've generated from processing government covid data, and I want to plot some scatter graphs and perhaps add trend lines etc.

Until now I've been using Excel which is OK, but it's tedious as I have hundreds of files that I want to process.

Does anyone have any experience or know of some decent software that could be used to automate the process (using an internal scripting language perhaps) that could take a CSV file, generate a customised graph and save the result as a .PNG file (or some other format).

My intention is to then use ffmpeg to generate an MP4 file from the individual graphs to create a video that shows the data evolving over time (each graph represents a single day's data).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers. 

4 answers to this question

Looks like  a fairly simple Python example, takes a named csv file, creates a chart, must be able to save to named file easily and would have thought the matploltlib would have suitable options for scatter you want.  Not hot on python at all but looks simpler than doing in Excel or MS tools. Then just create batch file with input and output files as arguments in the individual calls maybe.

https://codinginfinite.com/data-visualizing-csv-format-chart-using-python-matplotlib/

• Cheers 1

Norfolk Variant
20 hours ago, onlyme said:

@Norfolk Variant

Interested to see the way you went with this,  I was surprised how little coverage there was out there to do this sort of thing.

I posted some details over at :

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Norfolk Variant said:

I posted some details over at :

Fantastic, well impressive work in the time, think I might have a dabble with that library and Python for that matter, embedded C/Assembly and then ASP / Web scripting have been my main go to programming tools when I needed them in the past, I like code I can read and understand in a few seconds so it ticked the box when I found it.