• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Nationalise Google!

Missed this. Peak Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/30/nationalise-google-facebook-amazon-data-monopoly-platform-public-interest

And facebook. And Amazon.

Too big to serve the public interest. Sounds good but what is the public interest on these services?

Why nationalise them? Surely the fact that no government has drlivered any like google search or facebook shows that governments are plainly shit at these sort of things?

Now im all for anti monopolies, anti trust but these people want the government to take over services, one of the biggest, dump, brutal monopolies going.

And eho nationalise these companies? Uk?? They are american companies ffs.

How would they be run? Peoples comititees? Companies are not democracies, they are companies.

Top rated comment - Youve not thought this through.

I have switched to Duckduckgo as a credible alternative to Google after the Google advertising effect upon ToS.

I don't want to do Facebook or Twitter in the first place so no problem there.

I do however watch a lot of YouTube, generally TV programmes and films rather than new channels, and I don't think that there is a decent alternative to this Google company for this type of viewing.  I followed a couple of recommendations from here but they were mostly new content.

Farcical, but I would love it to happen, just to see how government fucks it up, would be a textbook example.

I'd be perfectly fine if these essential services collapsed under government control, so let's do it.

47 minutes ago, snagger said:

Farcical, but I would love it to happen, just to see how government fucks it up, would be a textbook example.

I'd be perfectly fine if these essential services collapsed under government control, so let's do it.

Let's look at the practicalities... If the Corbynistas decided to do this (they're the only ones bonkers enough) they'd only be able to nationalise the assets Google etc have in the UK, which is a small subset of everything required to run and develop the actual services. So you'd have an entirely non-functional set of things - no way that those firms would cooperate in setting up anything that would work - and a bunch of employees working on a list of disparate bits and pieces.  The end result would be Google, Facebook and so on blocked in the UK and no working SJWBook or whatever to replace it. Oh, and the government would be on the hook for paying a load of big salaries for people doing nothing very much.

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

Let's look at the practicalities... If the Corbynistas decided to do this (they're the only ones bonkers enough) they'd only be able to nationalise the assets Google etc have in the UK, which is a small subset of everything required to run and develop the actual services. So you'd have an entirely non-functional set of things - no way that those firms would cooperate in setting up anything that would work - and a bunch of employees working on a list of disparate bits and pieces.  The end result would be Google, Facebook and so on blocked in the UK and no working SJWBook or whatever to replace it. Oh, and the government would be on the hook for paying a load of big salaries for people doing nothing very much.

Bit like the NHS then?

51 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Jim Mellon has been calling for some time for google, fb and co to be taxed for the information that they take from each person.

He says it will inevitably happen.

That, at least, is something that could plausibly be implemented.

Just now, spygirl said:

Bit like the NHS then?

10 times worse! Even a mid-ranking Google bod now is on well over 100K and there's a decent number of them in the UK.

2 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

That, at least, is something that could plausibly be implemented.

10 times worse! Even a mid-ranking Google bod now is on well over 100K and there's a decent number of them in the UK.

I thought that Google's pay was pretty shit and people just worked there because of their reputation?

1 minute ago, This Time said:

I thought that Google's pay was pretty shit and people just worked there because of their reputation?

No.

I now a couple of people who work for google. Its very well paid - or at least the software development positions are.

And theres some good side benefit - not the stupid fireman pole wank, they get to work form home a lot and travel in.

Like most orgs, google do have a lot of grunt work - youtube filtering - which, I guess, are poorly paid and just done for bragging rights.

Just now, This Time said:

Not at all. I believe they had a period when they first set up in the UK where they didn't realise they were competing against city firms for the best technologists but they fixed that pretty quickly. Over the last few years, many of the best IT people I know have gone to work for them from hedge funds and banks and I very much doubt they're doing that for less money. Anecdotally, I know one guy who works for them in London who I tried to poach for my own (financial services employer) a couple of years ago who was bringing in around 250K in total (that included the value of RSUs and cash comp).

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

And theres some good side benefit - not the stupid fireman pole wank, they get to work form home a lot and travel in.

Ha, not heard it described that way before, will use that! They also provide unlimited free food at most of their locations so, if you really don't like cooking and food shopping, you can eat three meals a day at work. At their bigger sites they also provide stuff like a free onsite gym, free barber once a week, free transport etc. I know quite a few people who've gone to work there and not yet one that's left so, either they have everyone brainwashed into the cult, or it must be quite a nice place to be.

Edit to add:

Amazon on the other hand, whilst similarly well paid, sounds like a complete hell hole. I don't know anyone who's managed to stick it out for more than a couple of years and they all said they hated every moment of it. The pay was also very good though.

Edited by TheBlueCat

See my comments on TOS Regional/Soutyh East/Reading.

Google have the good sense to build buy large sites near mainline trsin stations.

The days of being able to commute up + down the UK mways esp. the M4 are long  gone.

WHere theres no need to run a physical shipping centre, the days of putting software people in industrial estates in some shithole new town are long gone.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

the days of putting software people in industrial estates in some shithole new town are long gone.

I remember that clearly from the 80s graduate recruitment round. The job choice for CS people was a 25K job in the city or a 10K job working for DEC or some-such in a hangar in Slough. And people wrung their hands wondering why on earth all our good technologists went into finance!

28 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Yes, but try explaining that to the same politicians that think banning SSL is a good policy.

6 minutes ago, snagger said:

Yes, but try explaining that to the same politicians that think banning SSL is a good policy.

Fucking idiots the lot of them. Amber Rudd seems to have gone quiet on that topic though - at least something positive came out of the election.

4 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Ha, not heard it described that way before, will use that! They also provide unlimited free food at most of their locations so, if you really don't like cooking and food shopping, you can eat three meals a day at work. At their bigger sites they also provide stuff like a free onsite gym, free barber once a week, free transport etc. I know quite a few people who've gone to work there and not yet one that's left

Do they keep them in some barracks then? Like a concentration camp

8 hours ago, MrPin said:

Mr Zuckerberg has already has too many government fingers up his bottom! I have spoken!O.o

Yeah all these types of organisations are going to be at best, totally infiltrated by the security services or at worst nothing more than a front operation for them.

Nationalise them - would it make any difference. It might be a good thing in making them less effective spies and snitches on the average person

I used to laugh when the Chinese commies used to use the word lackeys about that sort - but were they that far out.  Running dogs ;) everything is topsy turvy these days.

Live and learn, lessons to be learnt, you never stop learning.

Edited by twocents

I've been thhinking this for years, Google's search section should be made a non-profit, it is not transparent at all. Wikipedia, for its faults, does this well. The rest of Google/Alphabet can survive without it easily, such is the size and power of the company now.