DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

"Vehicle tampering" to be outlawed

Dave Beans

14 hours ago, SNACR said:

I think you’ll find you’re already voluntarily carrying a rectangular electronic device that does just this everywhere with you.

Yes. That you don't need to take if you are off for a drive. And you can easily switch off if you feel like it.

If cars have these data loggers as noted above - that's not going to be the case ?

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, XswampyX said:

I imagine they don't yet have any laws to stop people putting a tin foil hat over the GPS or some stickers over the cameras on your own car.

As I read it, they are making the selling of anything sold for the purpose of removing GPS or speed sensor functionality illegal.

So if you advertise black sticky tape pre-cut into the exact shape of the speed limit detector cameras fitted on new cars - then you are breaking the law.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Just realised, they can build virtually all the 'driving regulation' into an app for a phone, all the car needs is a couple of cameras and a 5g aerial linked to the OBD whatever engine management system.

You tether the phone to the car and away you go, google takes care of the rest (for a fee and targeted advertising / tracking) and its backwards compatible to your Morris Minor via a kit of plug in bits.

Delete that post in case you give the bastards ideas.

• Agree 1

I can see why inexpert tampering should not be allowed, having seen some incredible bodges over the years, including the handlebars becoming detached from a motorbike I was riding. Luckily I am more than incredible and managed to steer it with my knees, until it came to a rest. Fully competent modifications should be allowed.

2 hours ago, Bornagain said:

As I read it, they are making the selling of anything sold for the purpose of removing GPS or speed sensor functionality illegal.

So if you advertise black sticky tape pre-cut into the exact shape of the speed limit detector cameras fitted on new cars - then you are breaking the law.

Stuff from China should still do okay then :)

Just now, 23rdian said:

Stuff from China should still do okay then :)

This will end up like catalytic converters, modders run a decat exhaust and re-fit the cat version for the MOT.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Option5 said:

This will end up like catalytic converters, modders run a decat exhaust and re-fit the cat version for the MOT.

A driving ECU and an MOT ECU.

Reminds me of an aftermarket ECU that was definitely very popular. It could store 3 maps. One for normal driving, one for the MOT and one to make flames come from the exhaust.

• Lol 5

The other thing all this super regulation o of cars is this. I remember getting a copy of Hit RR of magazine back in the mud 60s. There was an article about some impending legislation about cars in America. The author said something to the effect of "If you think this doesn't matter much now, just go down to your local airport and ask how much a basic airplane costs "

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

I can see why inexpert tampering should not be allowed, having seen some incredible bodges over the years, including the handlebars becoming detached from a motorbike I was riding. Luckily I am more than incredible and managed to steer it with my knees, until it came to a rest. Fully competent modifications should be allowed.

The issue is who gets to decide who's competent.

It used to be you that got to decide, now it's going to be them.

• Agree 2

Hail the Tripod
On 03/11/2021 at 15:21, Bornagain said:

People are inventive though.

Heard a story about a builder who was driving along an A road in Oxfordshire. It was the middle of the night, but even so he slowed down to 40 where that was the speed limit, but exiting the village he started accelerating again before the derestriction sign, and got pulled doing 46 mph about 100m before the derestriction sign.

He was quite aggrieved that despite the circumstances and the fact he had complied with the rules in practicality and spirit, there was no leniency. He told the police he hadn’t seen any 40mph signs, and remained adamant that he hadn’t even when they threatened to add “driving without due care and attention” to his charge.

He went home, got out a hack saw, went back at 4AM and chopped down every 40mph sign in the village. Then he got his solicitor mate to drive through the village with him later in the day filming the route to confirm there were no signs.

He got off the speeding charge.

• Lol 4
  • Cheers 1

On 10/11/2021 at 15:26, Hail the Tripod said:

People are inventive though.

Heard a story about a builder who was driving along an A road in Oxfordshire. It was the middle of the night, but even so he slowed down to 40 where that was the speed limit, but exiting the village he started accelerating again before the derestriction sign, and got pulled doing 46 mph about 100m before the derestriction sign.

He was quite aggrieved that despite the circumstances and the fact he had complied with the rules in practicality and spirit, there was no leniency. He told the police he hadn’t seen any 40mph signs, and remained adamant that he hadn’t even when they threatened to add “driving without due care and attention” to his charge.

He went home, got out a hack saw, went back at 4AM and chopped down every 40mph sign in the village. Then he got his solicitor mate to drive through the village with him later in the day filming the route to confirm there were no signs.

He got off the speeding charge.

Fiction. If it were true he would have use an angle grinder or a con saw.😃

At this rate, those bringing out this shit should be handed out long sticks with mirrors on.

They will be as vital as checking the car for the GPS being switched on. A second check before turning the ignition.

Edited by The Grey Man
  • Lol 1

• 2 weeks later...

The stuff in the OP really just brings us in line with much of Europe 

E.g. in Germany all parts and their fitment must be TUV approved/certified.

Which basically means next to no aftermarket mods are road legal.