DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Knees

Harley

It's been three weeks now.  Pain in one knee.  It got better after about a week so I walked the dog and have been back in pain since.  Getting better with a brace but hurts like hell within the knee if I miss my footing.  Any other flexion related pain is in the lower knee, even below the knee, and a pinpoint pain in the inner side of the knee.  No trauma caused it.  I had been kneeling a lot prior (slabbing) and did a short (third of a mile) jog in work boots the day before the pain started.  Doctor lined up and waiting to hear back from the physio.  Off work atm.  The pits.  Is three weeks a long time for these things?

PS:  All a bit of a wake-up call that I've been taking my body for granted.  I need to start exercising to build up muscle, improve my posture, and stretch.   

Edited by Harley

23 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Protein, fish oil, turmeric, black pepper :Old:

Muchas ta ta.

Edited by Harley

2 hours ago, Harley said:

It's been three weeks now.  Pain in one knee.  It got better after about a week so I walked the dog and have been back in pain since.  Getting better with a brace but hurts like hell within the knee if I miss my footing.  Any other flexion related pain is in the lower knee, even below the knee, and a pinpoint pain in the inner side of the knee.  No trauma caused it.  I had been kneeling a lot prior (slabbing) and did a short (third of a mile) jog in work boots the day before the pain started.  Doctor lined up and waiting to hear back from the physio.  Off work atm.  The pits.  Is three weeks a long time for these things?

PS:  All a bit of a wake-up call that I've been taking my body for granted.  I need to start exercising to build up muscle, improve my posture, and stretch.   

I imagine you're not scared of tougher cuts of meat.  Oxtail for example is full of collagen/gelatin which is good for joint health.

I cook it for 45 minutes in a pressure cooker and it falls off, even the bones are chewy if you miss on of the smaller disc shaped ones. So plenty of calcium must go in too.

My personal belief from lots of research is that omega/polyunsaturated fats are ultimately inflammatory but I'm not going over it all again. I could be wrong, DYOR.  What does fish do if you leave it at body temperature for hours?

Edited by Loki
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Harley said:

Sounds like an over use niggle due to your daily kneeling and your booted run. Your body isn't used to that I assume ?

Inner knee - likely a tendon or ligament. Because it came on pretty quickly and no obvious trauma cartilage is unlikely. 

4-6 weeks would be normal. Forget the doctor and go straight to the physio. I cant actually recommend that enough after having numerous wee niggles in my life. None major thank fuck !!

Good luck. 

I'm not a health professional !!

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ccc said:

Sounds like an over use niggle due to your daily kneeling and your booted run. Your body isn't used to that I assume ?

Inner knee - likely a tendon or ligament. Because it came on pretty quickly and no obvious trauma cartilage is unlikely. 

4-6 weeks would be normal. Forget the doctor and go straight to the physio. I cant actually recommend that enough after having numerous wee niggles in my life. None major thank fuck !!

Good luck. 

I'm not a health professional !!

Cheers.  Yes, I'm clearly out of condition.  And yes, my experience is physios are the best.

• Cheers 1

A plumber friend of mine has loads of problems with his knees, he's already had several cortisone injections, but he finds peddling really helps strengthen them, without the body weight stress of running/walking. 

He uses an exercise bike every evening, usually while playing on his xbox.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, snaga said:

A plumber friend of mine has loads of problems with his knees, he's already had several cortisone injections, but he finds peddling really helps strengthen them, without the body weight stress of running/walking. 

He uses an exercise bike every evening, usually while playing on his xbox.

Funny, they got me using a bike years ago when I had problems.  It was great.  I thought about doing it again so definitely will.

Knees seem to be such a fault point in the body, and whilst I don't think I have issues yet do worry longer term.

I recently started bouldering again in a climbing centre.  Whilst there are crash mats and you don't have to worry about ropes and belays etc I've been pretty conscious of the impact on my knees (yes ideally you climb down but it doesn't always work out and often get lazy and only climb down half way).  The person I'm going with has only ever done the bouldering bit but I think he's coming round to the idea of ropes and heights.  I was remarking yesterday that his body is naturally much more a climbers body (light frame skinny) and the only reason on the previous occasion we went that he didn't manage the whole route like me is because I had the psychological edge.  Was saying as kids he definitely had the edge ie diving of heights taking risks, but no longer.  He said I was reading into things too much..... Later in the session when we were talking about committing to reaching for a hold he said yeah it's "definitely...err psychological" staring at me "err maybe you're right"😊

Well the ropes give you the confidence to commit and my knees will take less pounding so thinking of doing a refresher with him at some point.  

Also think physio or Oateopath (the one I've mainly used and had great experience with) are good ideas.  Omega fats as a supplement.  I've not taken any but just make sure you find some good quality oil.  Not sure if krill oil fits the bill?  Beef bone broth you can buy concentrate, quite pricey but lasts a long time and obviously no hassle..... Not sure if good for the ligaments think it's advertised as containing a lot of collagen.

• Cheers 1

Democorruptcy

Were you lifting heavy slabs? If so it might be the weight that caused it. I have knee problems and the pain starts if I lift heavy stuff, god bless cart trolleys.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Were you lifting heavy slabs? If so it might be the weight that caused it. I have knee problems and the pain starts if I lift heavy stuff, god bless cart trolleys.

I lift all sorts, badly.  And I walk with a bad posture.   I need to sort it out with a visit to a physio (?).  I got a power barrow and trolley but a bit late in the day and I often do without.  My knee is a lot better but I'm being careful given what happened last time.  And then some proper keep fit, with stretching, etc. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Sasquatch

Stretch in the morning, stretch in the evening. Stretch as much as you are able.

My right side hip and back will tighten up and spasm if I don't stay on top of it. If I do, I'm fine (mid 50's). I'm unable to run as it wrecks my left knee (last time it hurt for nearly 6 months before healing up). I did visit a sports physio a few times and he gave me a relatively complex daily routine to follow but I wasn't disciplined enough to stick with it.

After 6 months on our house restoration project I'm feeling incredibly fit to be honest. It's been an all over body work out. I've lost half a stone (probably more as I've put on muscle). Back to my 21 year old self in terms of bodyweight at 12 and a half stone.

I think the secret is to keep active but mix it up as much as possible. 

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

On 14/11/2021 at 19:52, Sasquatch said:

I think the secret is to keep active but mix it up as much as possible. 

Exactly this! When I stop exercising for a period of time, I go down hill. Now I've realised this I try and keep on top of it, little and often, just keep the body ticking over.

There's a guy at my gym every morning at 6am who's 87, he's not lifting heavy, but he does a full body workout including battle ropes every morning ... at 87! I hope I still know my own name at 87 let alone going to the gym :o

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1