DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Dacia Sandero bi-fuel

Popuplights

Popuplights

The new Sandero is available from the factory with LPG fitted. The cars get very good reviews, and are based on the current model Renault Clio. 

LPG is currently 80p a litre, but is not widely available.

Any dosbodders run LPG? 

• Informative 1

A few filling stations started selling LPG some 15-20 years ago but it never really caught on, did it?

If it was more widely available then I'd consider one.

Sugarlips

I’m told that LPG is cheaper but it does burn fuel at a higher rate. A lot of taxi’s in Oz we’re using LPG a few years back but they’ve mostly switched to hybrid Camry’s now.

LPG is pretty clean. I expect if too many people use it, then it will be taxed more. You have to start on petrol, until the engine is warm. One mate had it on his Landcruiser. It worked fine. I don't do sufficient miles to justify it.

• Informative 1

When I taxied in Preston one of the company cars was lpg. It cost a lot less in fuel although there was always a smell of gas inside the car.

2 hours ago, jm51 said:

When I taxied in Preston one of the company cars was lpg. It cost a lot less in fuel although there was always a smell of gas inside the car.

I hope it had the "no smoking" option of deleting the lighter.

• Agree 1

Dacia are bringing out the Jogger early next year. It's a 7 seat sandero estate with decent ground clearance and a massive boot. Rumours it will start at £13k which is tempting and it comes with the bi-fuel option. I've never bought a new car before but if the stupidly high used car prices continue, I will consider it.

all-new_dacia_jogger_-_3rd_september_9.00am_uk_time_2.jpg.fcc2bda6dc6dd2e1fbecf24dca091c5a.jpg

• Agree 2
  • Informative 6
  • Cheers 1

Frank Hovis

A quick flag re LPG which I read about on here, I think it was from @TheBlueCat , as a safety mechanism if the pressure of LPG in the tank becomes too high, presumably through it becoming warmer, then it vents the excess gas into the air.

If your car is in a garage you then have an inflammable gas in your garage awaiting a spark - pilot light, starting the engine.

I always keep my car in the garage so for that reason LPG is not an option for me.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

19 hours ago, Albo said:

Dacia are bringing out the Jogger early next year. It's a 7 seat sandero estate with decent ground clearance and a massive boot. Rumours it will start at £13k which is tempting and it comes with the bi-fuel option. I've never bought a new car before but if the stupidly high used car prices continue, I will consider it.

all-new_dacia_jogger_-_3rd_september_9.00am_uk_time_2.jpg.fcc2bda6dc6dd2e1fbecf24dca091c5a.jpg

In a normal market if buying outright an ex demonstrator or even one of the fake ones to boost month end figures to meet bonus targets is a way of taking a bit of the sting out of it without really not taking any hit on newness though rules out picking options.

• Informative 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 06/11/2021 at 10:05, Popuplights said:

The new Sandero is available from the factory with LPG fitted. The cars get very good reviews, and are based on the current model Renault Clio. 

LPG is currently 80p a litre, but is not widely available.

Any dosbodders run LPG? 

I had one before coming to Switzerland and for the first 6 months to a year of being here, it was great. Luxury motoring at small car fuel costs. The engine was well suited to LPG (important point) and had been converted by an F1 engineer. I kept it until time was up and I had to either legalize the car as Swiss or get rid. Had no problem getting fuel in the UK at the time, dunno about now though. 

The Swiss have the same over-cautious attitude(imo) as @Frank Hovis, the tank valves are a technical problem long since resolved, but because a couple of firemen were killed about 40 years ago in an underground parking fire where a petrol car caught fire and spread to an LPG one that had no valve - boom...,  LPG is taboo here. It’s available quite widely in France though. 

You’ll have to put a sticker over the obvious LPG connector if you use Eurotunnel though, that’s what I did. Taboo there as well. 

• Informative 3

Surely hydrogen will be the hybrid fuel of choice in future but not sure how long it will take for the filling stations to be more prevalent than LPG. Seems the hydrogen fuel cell has been 'on the way' for consumer readyness almost as long as nuclear fusion. xD

LPG in new models is alongside leccy rather than diesel/petrol? The bolt-on LPG solutions to get more mpg from heavy gas guzzlers such as range rovers sacrificed a fair bit of boot space for the LPG tank, sort of defeating the point of such a massive vehicle, may as well get a smaller more efficient option as standard now everyone seems to be doing softroader/suv/crossover alternatives instead of the trusty old estate design that had more internal space. xD

• Agree 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 08/11/2021 at 09:38, BoSon said:

everyone seems to be doing softroader/suv/crossover alternatives instead of the trusty old estate design that had more internal space. xD

Yeah why is this? Estates are excellent, often just as good to drive as the saloon and very practical.

I have a slightly misogynistic theory that it's the feminisation of cars, like everything else. Women are more interested in how the car looks and how high they sit while driving (which gives them a false sense of confidence - they might feel safer but they're not) -  the fact that these shitty softroader/suv/crossover things use more fuel, are impractical, tip over in accidents and wallow round corners is irrelevant to them.

• Agree 5

On 08/11/2021 at 08:38, BoSon said:

everyone seems to be doing softroader/suv/crossover alternatives instead of the trusty old estate design that had more internal space. xD

I think the reason is in an estate it's dead space for about 90% of the time, where with an SUV it's practical passenger space.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yeah why is this? Estates are excellent, often just as good to drive as the saloon and very practical.

I have a slightly misogynistic theory that it's the feminisation of cars, like everything else. Women are more interested in how the car looks and how high they sit while driving (which gives them a false sense of confidence - they might feel safer but they're not) -  the fact that these shitty softroader/suv/crossover things use more fuel, are impractical, tip over in accidents and wallow round corners is irrelevant to them.

I Remember when land rover made a big thing about how Victoria beckham had design input into the range rover Evoque. 

• Informative 1

belfastchild
1 hour ago, gilf said:

I think the reason is in an estate it's dead space for about 90% of the time, where with an SUV it's practical passenger space.

Fat americans. (well now fat brits as well)

swiss_democracy_for_all
1 hour ago, Albo said:

I Remember when land rover made a big thing about how Victoria beckham had design input into the range rover Evoque. 

Hadn't heard that, but it makes perfect sense.

A thotmobile designed for the ultimate thot. Clever on Land Rover's part, to be fair.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, gilf said:

SUV wins on style/fashion until they realise the running costs. An ex-colleague once moaned about his Ford Kuga's cost of new tyres. They don't think about stuff like that when looking at the monthly lease cost.

• Agree 1