• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

High on drugs and altitude

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-41377956

Image copyrightCUMBRIA TOURISM

Image captionThe walkers were said to be too "stoned" to get themselves off the mountain

A group of hikers who became unable to walk after taking drugs sparked a major mountain rescue.

Officers from the Cumbria force tweeted: "words fail us" after being called by four men at Hardrigg Gill on Scafell in the Lake District.

The police tweet said: "Persons phoning Cumbria Police because they are stuck on a mountain, after taking cannabis."

Wasdale and Duddon mountain rescue teams were called out just after 18:30 BST on Saturday. 

The group was eventually brought down to safety at 21:45 BST.

Supt Justin Bibby of Cumbria Police said: "Taking alcohol or any other substance that could impair your judgement significantly increases your risk of getting into trouble. It has no place on a mountain."

O.o

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Image captionThe walkers were said to be too "stoned" to get themselves off the mountain

A group of hikers who became unable to walk after taking drugs sparked a major mountain rescue.

Officers from the Cumbria force tweeted: "words fail us" after being called by four men at Hardrigg Gill on Scafell in the Lake District.

The police tweet said: "Persons phoning Cumbria Police because they are stuck on a mountain, after taking cannabis."

Wasdale and Duddon mountain rescue teams were called out just after 18:30 BST on Saturday. 

Supt Justin Bibby of Cumbria Police said: "Taking alcohol or any other substance that could impair your judgement significantly increases your risk of getting into trouble. It has no place on a mountain."

O.o

Referring to Cumbrian hills of a few hundred feet as "mountains" makes this seem a whole lot more serious than it actually is.

And calling the Saint Bernard accompanied by two blokes from Cockermouth "Mountain Rescue" really is taking the piss.

Trust me - there are no mountains...

XYY

Just now, The XYY Man said:

Referring to Cumbrian hills of a few hundred feet as "mountains" makes this seem a whole lot more serious than it actually is.

And calling the Saint Bernard accompanied by two blokes from Cockermouth "Mountain Rescue" really is taking the piss.

XYY

xD that made me laugh. I didn't take in the article at all, just thought it worth a mention for going out, gettingnstoned and needing rescuing m

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

What about dragons, please tell me there's dragons?

hmm, 'stoners' up the mountains in September? Well, it is magic mushroom season, I'm guessing they couldn't wait to get back home - big mistake.

I'll never forget foraging round the mountains near Aberyswyth in my student days, it was like harvest time for the locals in the know. Happy days (and all perfectly legal too I might add).

Edited by Mihnjeeta
They did mention Cannabis - doh

6 hours ago, One percent said:

O.o

On the impairment he's right in any circumstances at some levels of consumption and not only on a mountain but why does that not just come across as astoundingly pompous.  You would never hear such stuff after all the deaths and so on for years after WW1/ WW2.

Ok it's 2017.

Edited by twocents

3 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

Last time I was up Scafell the cairn wasn't visible through the ice. It was like glass at the top. We had walked through white-out to reach the top and needed ice axes to reach the top.

The peak was in sun. It was glorious. My now wife was furious when we returned as she had been obliged to turn back with the other females of the party.

Certainly felt like a mountain that day.

Silly buggers should be fined for costs they have incurred in services to rescue them.

12 hours ago, man o' the year said:

Last time I was up Scafell the cairn wasn't visible through the ice. It was like glass at the top. We had walked through white-out to reach the top and needed ice axes to reach the top.

The peak was in sun. It was glorious. My now wife was furious when we returned as she had been obliged to turn back with the other females of the party.

Certainly felt like a mountain that day.

Silly buggers should be fined for costs they have incurred in services to rescue them.

I reckon you should take XYY along on your next winter climb of Scafell, to see if he thinks it's a mountain or not!  :-)