DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Older drivers transitioning from a manual to automatic car

Popuplights

Popuplights

I have just had my mum on the phone telling me she was looking at a new car, an automatic. She was obviously looking for my approval, And was disappointed when I said it wasn't a great idea. I'm wary of older drivers , she is 76, going to an automatic, then having a runaway incident where they jam their foot on the gas by mistake, and zoom off into the scenery. She was not happy about my response. 

Anyone else had a similar experience?

On another note, she will insist on looking at VW Polos. I think she should be looking at cars with a higher driving position for better visibility. Like a Jazz, or BMax. 

Can happen to anyone. Wasn't it Tiger Woods that did similar not long ago and was lucky to survive?

Solution is to get a typical old person's car that has barely 100bhp, it won't be zooming anywhere. xD

Go for petrol instead of diesel for less low down torque, so all that will happen is a lot of engine noise before any action so more time to react.

Some of the newer stuff have driver aids such as anti collision detection where it will brake automatically (with some caveats) before mowing down people on zebra crossings.

• Agree 1

On 10/11/2021 at 16:17, sarahbell said:

Go with her to test drive some? (Are we allowed to test drive cars?)

Why not. I think most people like automatics once they have tried them. They are not "witchcraft" any more.

• Agree 2

Remember, all the Lamborghinis, Ferraris etc with flappy paddle gearboxes are classified as automatic.

You have a chance to have the coolest mum in town.:D

21 hours ago, Option5 said:

Remember, all the Lamborghinis, Ferraris etc with flappy paddle gearboxes are classified as automatic.

You have a chance to have the coolest mum in town.:D

A bit beyond my price range. I remember a clutchless Citroen I borrowed once.

The last automatic I drove was a 968 Tiptronic dealer loan car. 

It was ok ish but the manual select lever was, in my opinion, the wrong way round as it was push forward to change up an backward to change down.

Put me off autos and the associated complexity.

sarahbell
22 hours ago, MrPin said:

Why not. I think most people like automatics once they have tried them. They are not "witchcraft" any more.

I thought the proliferation of online buy it and get it delivered to your house had killed the test drive. (And covid) 

Rare Bear
28 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I thought the proliferation of online buy it and get it delivered to your house had killed the test drive. (And covid) 

Ok for white goods type cars but no one is going to buy an interesting car without a test drive.

• Agree 1

sarahbell
10 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Ok for white goods type cars but no one is going to buy an interesting car without a test drive.

Cazoo base their model on that

image.png.8865a30e4fa775c2f95fd9c899eb20c8.png

On 12/11/2021 at 17:47, MrPin said:

I would still have a manual for fun/track car, but my first auto is quite enjoyable.  I still keep forgetting I don't have to have my left hand ready to change gear and can chill out and lean back xD It even engine brakes if you put it in L 

Chewing Grass
On 10/11/2021 at 13:36, Popuplights said:

I have just had my mum on the phone telling me she was looking at a new car, an automatic. She was obviously looking for my approval, And was disappointed when I said it wasn't a great idea. I'm wary of older drivers , she is 76, going to an automatic, then having a runaway incident where they jam their foot on the gas by mistake, and zoom off into the scenery. She was not happy about my response. 

Anyone else had a similar experience?

On another note, she will insist on looking at VW Polos. I think she should be looking at cars with a higher driving position for better visibility. Like a Jazz, or BMax. 

Get her an MG ZS then you don't have to worry about destroying it as they are half the price and it ticks all the driving position boxes. The Germans and their financiers don't deserve the money now they buy most of their running gear from China.

• Informative 1

Chewing Grass

With regard to transitioning to an Auto, the safest thing to do is have your left leg cut off as its always that one that gets the blood clots post injection anyway.

Two birds, one stone and all that.

• Lol 1

Popuplights
On 12/11/2021 at 17:47, MrPin said:

I agree, I love an auto. I. Just not sure it's the time now, in the twilight of her driving career. 

Bricks & Mortar

+1 for higher driving position in later life.  
I've 3 relatives that found, as the body fails, difficulty getting into small cars.

sleepwello'nights

A bigger problem is going from an automatic to a manual. Until you get re-acquainted the manual car jerk and stalls when you stop at a junction or traffic lights. 

I must confess though when I drove my first automatic it was so relaxing I almost forgot you still had to steer :o. My current car can steer itself, at speeds up to 40 mph. I've only tried it once though. On an empty stretch of motorway. 

• Agree 1

I've never driven a fully auto but have driven a car with an automatic manual box, a Stilo Abarth with 'selespeed'... it was ok when making progress but horrendous in crawling traffic, especially crawling traffic up a long hill (which I had to do most days) every time you attempt to move forward you either stall it through insufficient revs or give it too much revs and end up lurching and jerking forward and almost smashing into the back of the car in front.