DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Major automakers do not commit to the banning of petrol & diesel cars by 2040

Dave Beans

belfastchild
Just now, Don Coglione said:

Did you win it on Bullseye?

I have told people that, yes, but only whilst under the influence.

• Cheers 1

whitevanman
20 minutes ago, markyh said:

I actually think an full on ICE ban, except 40+ year old "Classics" will come, announced in 2048, for 2050 onwards. To help remove any mass of ICE / PHEV's still being kept going somehow in 2049. 

I think this is needed for climate change and 2050 is a good target.  The 2020 lockdowns proved worldwide what happens within just a few months when all the ICE are off the roads. Chinese cities saw blue sky's for the first time in decades and air quality over the planet improved. 

Covid actually help speed up the ICE sale bans as it proved what the world would be like when ICE are gone. 

If you’re worried about climate change then the same arguments apply to both ICE and EV. They are both highly energy intensive when compared to public transport. The large battery EVs like Teslas are the worst EVs for lifetime CO2 emissions. They’ll ban them from cities too

https://www.fastcompany.com/90711961/berlin-is-planning-a-car-free-area-larger-than-manhattan

You’ll own nothing and be happy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, belfastchild said:

I like the idea of the citroen ami cargo thing, 

I was considering it as a second car but the 28mph top speed put me off. 

• Agree 1

Don Coglione
5 hours ago, markyh said:

Lol, i have the £600k house with with private 3 car drive, on a small private estate behind electric gates. Told you my mum call me a snob, 

Are you sure she didn't say "cunt"?

All we need now is for Mike Livingstone to turn up, bragging about his wealth and length.

• Lol 1

Dave Beans

What would the minimum be, in order to convince people (even the biggest cynics) to change to EVs?

• A five minute charging time?
  • Be able to use patterned parts?
  • Twenty year battery life?
  • ICE / EV price parity?
  • No govt subsidies?
  • No key type subscriptions?
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

What would the minimum be, in order to convince people (even the biggest cynics) to change to EVs?

• ICE / EV price parity?
  • No govt subsidies?

Some honesty regarding whole-life including manufacture and end of life pollution wouldn't go amiss

• Agree 4

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

• ICE / EV price parity?
  • No govt subsidies?

A proper study into whole of life environmental cost (rather than just pollution displacement)

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Don Coglione said:

Are you sure she didn't say "cunt"?

All we need now is for Mike Livingstone to turn up, bragging about his wealth and length.

Nah, my mum is very well spoken, she came for a big family in London that had money and she went to a private girls school. Her dad was French and came from a French wealthy family. 

She was a rebel and got pregnant at 17 (in the 60's) with me and had a shotgun wedding into a council estate family! 

My whole life child and young adult we live in council houses and my "Gran" would turn up, new husband in tow, in big posh cars. Then she would "inspect" our council house with white gloves for dust and dirt and tell my mum "Not bad for a council house" . 

Her husband would dish out £5 notes every visit to us kids. 

Funny enough this effected me and i never dated the local girls with their common accents. i chased the posh middle class English girls, dated one for 10 years, yet married a posh plummy sounding British Capetonian South African, who went to an all Girls boarding school.

DurhamBorn
9 hours ago, markyh said:

The bans are about manufactures producing ICE cars, not people buying them. I will say this again, forget 2030, this year is a read herring. This is all about 2050, when the law says we must be "net zero" . 

So 2030 is all about the last new ICE cars being sold in 2029, and no doubt "millions" of pre reg 2029 ICEs be sold "nearly new " in 2030.  This will make the youngest UK ICE fleet 20 years old in 2050 and only in the thousands remaining.

Dont think this will be the case? Well go on auto trader and excluding "true classics" 40+ years old there are only 3800 cars for sale from 1980 to 2002.  All the rest are gone, worn out, scrapped, off the road. 

This will be 2029 cars and older in 2050. All the other cars will be EV's and everyone will be happy and get on with life.

Not my bag, i like Crypto. My Bitcoin doesn't call me at odd hours with problems with the boiler/ toilet / fuse box. 

I already know people who are setting up in South Africa and Cyprus and will import ICE cars into the UK classed as used,and real used.Millions of ICE cars will enter the country after 2030.Funny enough one guy made his money buying right off 4x4s and stripping them down and selling the engines to Africa.Full circle.

• Informative 3

Don Coglione
8 hours ago, markyh said:

Nah, my mum is very well spoken, she came for a big family in London that had money and she went to a private girls school. Her dad was French and came from a French wealthy family. 

She was a rebel and got pregnant at 17 (in the 60's) with me and had a shotgun wedding into a council estate family! 

My whole life child and young adult we live in council houses and my "Gran" would turn up, new husband in tow, in big posh cars. Then she would "inspect" our council house with white gloves for dust and dirt and tell my mum "Not bad for a council house" . 

Her husband would dish out £5 notes every visit to us kids. 

Funny enough this effected me and i never dated the local girls with their common accents. i chased the posh middle class English girls, dated one for 10 years, yet married a posh plummy sounding British Capetonian South African, who went to an all Girls boarding school.

Well that's just super.

• Lol 4

The only cars I would buy now are naturally aspirated petrol ones - a nice Ferrari or Lamborghini.

No interest in electric. They lack any emotion, life, noise or theatre. 

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Errol said:

The only cars I would buy now are naturally aspirated petrol ones - a nice Ferrari or Lamborghini.

That's great. When you have the money you can get me one too. I'll have the estate version in metallic brown.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Loki said:

Some honesty regarding whole-life including manufacture and end of life pollution wouldn't go amiss

Yes, and I think it should be up to the consumer, not the government. At some point electric cars may make sense, financially and practically.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

I already know people who are setting up in South Africa and Cyprus and will import ICE cars into the UK classed as used,and real used.Millions of ICE cars will enter the country after 2030.Funny enough one guy made his money buying right off 4x4s and stripping them down and selling the engines to Africa.Full circle.

Quick law change, that is illegal. Or massive import duties will be applied that no one will buy them vs an EV as the cost will be to high.  Regulation and Tax treatment is already steering people away from ICE, this will only get harsher once ICE become a minority and not a vote losing issue. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Errol said:

I will wave as my Tesla overtakes you off the lights. ;)

36 minutes ago, markyh said:

I will wave as my Tesla overtakes you off the lights. ;)

It might too, these go fast, and this is what sells them, not the fact they might "save the planet", which they wont.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It might too, these go fast, and this is what sells them, not the fact they might "save the planet", which they wont.

Yep, think of what the torque required to accelerate a car of that weight up to 60mph in 3 seconds does to the road surface.

But it's ok because electric :wanker:

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Loki said:

Yep, think of what the torque required to accelerate a car of that weight up to 60mph in 3 seconds does to the road surface.

Saw a review of that ridiculous Rivian R1 that is touted as a pickup truck. Size of a Luton Van, unladen kerb weight 3100kg and 0-60 in 3 seconds and a bit.

Force = Mass x Acceleration or 30411x8.94 = 271875N or 27.8 Tonnes of tarmac ripping force spread over 4 wheels.

G-Force experienced by passengers 2.7

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

32 minutes ago, Loki said:

I love it, ultimate Q car, Porsche / Ferrari / Lambo beating speeds , less that fiesta running costs. Absolutely creamed and 2018 BMW M2 a few weekends ago, he tried hard, twice, only to be left looking like a simp twice with his girlfriend waving her arms like a banshee next to him. And i had all 4 of the family in the Tesla as we were just "out shopping".

Don Coglione
31 minutes ago, markyh said:

I love it, ultimate Q car, Porsche / Ferrari / Lambo beating speeds , less that fiesta running costs. Absolutely creamed and 2018 BMW M2 a few weekends ago, he tried hard, twice, only to be left looking like a simp twice with his girlfriend waving her arms like a banshee next to him. And i had all 4 of the family in the Tesla as we were just "out shopping".

Are your kids old enough to say "Dad, stop being a tit"?

• Agree 4
  • Lol 3

32 minutes ago, markyh said:

Cool story bro

Dave Beans
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Saw a review of that ridiculous Rivian R1 that is touted as a pickup truck. Size of a Luton Van, unladen kerb weight 3100kg and 0-60 in 3 seconds and a bit.

Force = Mass x Acceleration or 30411x8.94 = 271875N or 27.8 Tonnes of tarmac ripping force spread over 4 wheels.

G-Force experienced by passengers 2.7

It may also be built in Bridgwater.. Apparently there’s a big push from Boris to get a factory built there..

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Dave Beans said:

It may also be built in Bridgwater.. Apparently there’s a big push from Boris to get a factory built there..

A new De-Lorean, does look like a drug dealer car.

38 minutes ago, Don Coglione said:

Are your kids old enough to say "Dad, stop being a tit"?

You can take the boy out of the council estate...................