Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

NHS refuseniks retraining later in life-Sparky/Plumber/any other suggestions?


sancho panza
 Share

Recommended Posts

sancho panza

With the end of my Paramedicing likely coming in April 2022,having a chat with @dnb24,I'm looking at some other trade options I can pick up at my late stage in life-50.Have kids to feed,would just like a back up plan.I realise that getting the qual is the start then learning the real world begins.

Any ideas or other trade skills I could look at  and also would welcome any of the experienced trade posters giving advice on what qualifications I would need to work on domestic Electrical/Plumbing as there does seem a lot of different quals out there.

I got a Class 2 licence off the military,is it worth beefing that up with a Class 1?

It looks like you need City & Guilds for plumbing and then to do Gas courses on top.

Of late been trying to get a log burner installer with no joy.Could be a nice ticket to get running alongside another qual if it's easy enough to get.

 

Particularly @Bobthebuilder but also @Harley and anyone else that can advise us medical types on retraining options.

Leicester college has some,might just be for kids.2 Years is too long any way.

Leicester College 2 year course Plumbing

Leicester College 2 Year course Electrician

 

Then there's some private courses with some grand claims,not sure how realistic they are

https://www.skillstg.co.uk/category/plumbing-courses/

Fast Track Plumber Courses

There are a variety of fast track plumber courses available for students who are looking to train as a plumber quickly. These courses won’t be as in-depth as the traditional apprenticeships but will cover the main components required to get you started in your plumbing career.

Generally, this is the best option for those who cannot find an apprenticeship.

The City and Guilds Accredited Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing Studies is the most popular option for fast track plumbing courses and takes 8-10 weeks to complete.

Pros:

  • The training is accredited, so it teaches you the essentials to get you qualified.
  • The training only takes 8-10 weeks to complete, so you can start earning faster.
  • Anyone aged 16 or above can complete the course.
  • The training will put you in good stead for upskilling at a later stage, such as becoming Gas Safe Registered.

Cons:

  • You need to pay to complete the training.
  • The course will not be as in-depth as a traditional apprenticeship.
  • There is no on-site work experience.
  • You will not be trained to work on gas.

 

 

 

Edited by sancho panza
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

belfastchild

Do private paramedics need the jab? Events, trackdays etc?

I did a 2 day remote emergency first aid course a few years ago and it was run by an ex-paramedic. They do the more conventional ones but I wanted something for some of the remote holes I go to where help wont come ;-)

 

  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are looking at upgrading your licence, I think you can actually get paid more above the normal rate still driving class 2s but just for holding a class 1 licence whilst doing so (not as much as for driving class 1 but hopefully less waits/ shorter distances/sleeping away etc.)

Edited by mh9000
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bricormortis

Thing is with fast track courses you may learn the basics of plumbing or electrics which is very useful of course, but you may not know anything about dealing with practical issues such as working with voids beneath floors, how to free rusted components, using wrenches or torch in tight spaces and so on. Try changing the waste trap on a bathroom sink and see how far you get.

A plumber needs every tool going not just plumbing tools, because the job frequently involves re arranging the fabric of a building. 

I went to work as a tiler later in life, and after one day of using a lump hammer and chisel, ( could not get my electric chisel to function ) I had rsi in the wrists which lasted for years and would have ended me as a tiler, only I partially herniated a disc on the same job and that really stopped me in my tracks. And I considered myself fit prior. So your physical capacity to adapt is also an issue. 

I would say though tiling is pretty simple and there are usually waiting lists for tilers. You need to make your card available in tiling shops. Also a sign written van is a must. Courses are available. A basic plumbing course would give you a lot of confidence as a tiler because you are going to be doing bathrooms and knowing how to take a bathroom apart is pretty useful to a tiler. If you havent got marketing knowledge you might take a long time to get up and running. If you want to list on Google businesses, its about 3 months before they put you online on a local map so you need to get that in early doors. Google ads, dont touch it. Also if you list a business online expect calls from the 4 corners of the earth trying to sell you whatever and or scam you. You will get more of those calls that work enquiries.

Very best of luck sincerely meant SP, but you might be best rethinking your stance re the vaccine.

 

Edited by Bricormortis
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sancho panza
1 hour ago, belfastchild said:

Do private paramedics need the jab? Events, trackdays etc?

I did a 2 day remote emergency first aid course a few years ago and it was run by an ex-paramedic. They do the more conventional ones but I wanted something for some of the remote holes I go to where help wont come ;-)

 

Anyone facing pts has to have it.There'll maybe be some work over the phone I could do,but I'm looking to tkae this opportunity to learn a new set of skills.

We might be buying a home in a few years,so picking up some skils that might come in handy would be a Brucie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sancho panza
28 minutes ago, mh9000 said:

If you are looking at upgrading your licence, I think you can actually get paid more above the normal rate still driving class 2s but just for holding a class 1 licence whilst doing so (not as much as for driving class 1 but hopefully less waits/ shorter distances/sleeping away etc.)

That's the issue with Class 1 ,bad hours.I need to do school runs while Mrs P works so I need something that can fit around childcare.Was reading elsewhere that lot of lorry drivers are over 50 and not enough new blood coming in.Same as care home work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tiling as someone mentioned, or look into doing MPI, Dye Penetrant NDT courses and work for a company that jobs about in the Midlands. They're just 5 day courses and you'd get a job paying £15 an hour ish.

Maybe look into being a postman if you need to collect the kids from school.

Buy all the fancy gear, and set yourself up doing guttering and window cleaning with those extension poles.

Edited by Hancock
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sancho panza
5 minutes ago, Bricormortis said:

Thing is with fast track courses you may learn the basics of plumbing or electrics which is very useful of course, but you may not know anything about dealing with practical issues such as working with voids beneath floors, how to free rusted components, using wrenches or torch in tight spaces and so on. Try changing the waste trap on a bathroom sink and see how far you get.

A plumber needs every tool going not just plumbing tools, because the job frequently involves re arranging the fabric of a building. 

I went to work as a tiler later in life, and after one day of using a lump hammer and chisel, ( could not get my electric chisel to function ) I had rsi in the wrists which lasted for years and would have ended me as a tiler, only I partially herniated a disc on the same job and that really stopped me in my tracks. And I considered myself fit prior. So your physical capacity to adapt is also an issue. 

I would say though tiling is pretty simple and there are usually waiting lists for tilers. You need to make your card available in tiling shops. Also a sign written van is a must. Courses are available. If you havent got marketing knowledge you might take a long time to get up and running. If you want to list on Google businesses, its about 3 months before they put you online on a local map so you need to get that in early doors. Google ads, dont touch it. Also if you list a business online expect calls from the 4 corners of the earth trying to sell you whatever and or scam you. You will get more of those calls that work enquiries.

Very best of luck sincerely meant SP, but you might be best rethinking your stance re the vaccine.

 

Thanks for th reply BM,I'm well aware that I'll be stepping into the void once I qualify.I have a few contacts in construction,so my plan is to pick a trade,then get the right quals,then offer myself as free/cheap labour to pick up some of the basics.

Appreciate the info on google,I hadn't even thought about that.

I realsie it's a long road.

I hand't thought about tiling.Another handy skill to have.Do you know what formal qulifications you need?

ref the vaccine,I don't want to spread fear(like the govt have done with covid),but I genuinely believe(having had covid),that I'm more at risk from the vaccine than covid.

I can't unsee what I beleive I've seen.

 

  • Agree 4
  • Informative 4
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sancho panza
13 minutes ago, Hancock said:

Tiling as someone mentioned, or look into doing MPI, Dye Penetrant NDT courses and work for a company that jobs about in the Midlands. They're just 5 day courses and you'd get a job paying £15 an hour ish.

Maybe look into being a postman if you need to collect the kids from school.

Buy all the fancy gear, and set yourself up doing guttering and window cleaning with those extension poles.

What's MPI?I've googled ity and it's no clearer:ph34r:

That dye penetrant course looks a nice little add on-5 days-£15 an hour.Happy days.

 

I was a posty 20 odd years ago.Fittest I ever was but not at my age.ALl those low down postboxes were a nightmare even back then.And never mind the jack russels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Thanks for th reply BM,I'm well aware that I'll be stepping into the void once I qualify.I have a few contacts in construction,so my plan is to pick a trade,then get the right quals,then offer myself as free/cheap labour to pick up some of the basics.

Appreciate the info on google,I hadn't even thought about that.

I realsie it's a long road.

I hand't thought about tiling.Another handy skill to have.Do you know what formal qulifications you need?

ref the vaccine,I don't want to spread fear(like the govt have done with covid),but I genuinely believe(having had covid),that I'm more at risk from the vaccine than covid.

I can't unsee what I beleive I've seen.

 

You can do 1 day courses to learn tiling, its doing it at speed thats the issue.

If i'd the money i'd like to do a furniture making course, but they ask absurd money to do them.

 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile

If you refuse the jab do you get a decent NHS redundancy package? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

What's MPI?I've googled ity and it's no clearer:ph34r:

That dye penetrant course looks a nice little add on-5 days-£15 an hour.Happy days.

Magnetic Particle Inspection, its PCN level 2. You need both MPI and Dye Pen to get a start.

You can get govt loans to pay for them, and you only repay once earning over somewhere in the region of £25,000!

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Caravan Monster

I'd avoid solid fuel installation because the work is often absolutely bloody miserable and likely to soon get heavily regulated / outlawed by the corrupt idiots of government. At 50 it's probably best to concentrate on narrow fields of specialisation and make the best of any contacts as the construction industry runs on who you know. Would garden work appeal? there's endless work grass cutting and hedge cutting, but it's as hard going as construction in middle age. Motor mechanics is another area that occurs if so inclined, or vehicle recovery - military + paramedic background might be well suited to that job.

Ironically I was vaguely looking at getting out of construction and into the nhs a few years back. Dodged a bullet there!

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chewing Grass

Become a Process Worker at your local dangerous chemical factory, they would love having an ex-Paramedic on hand, Elfin Safety would jizz themselves.

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

With the end of my Paramedicing likely coming in April 2022,having a chat with @dnb24,I'm looking at some other trade options I can pick up at my late stage in life-50.Have kids to feed,would just like a back up plan.I realise that getting the qual is the start then learning the real world begins.

Any ideas or other trade skills I could look at  and also would welcome any of the experienced trade posters giving advice on what qualifications I would need to work on domestic Electrical/Plumbing as there does seem a lot of different quals out there.

I got a Class 2 licence off the military,is it worth beefing that up with a Class 1?

It looks like you need City & Guilds for plumbing and then to do Gas courses on top.

Of late been trying to get a log burner installer with no joy.Could be a nice ticket to get running alongside another qual if it's easy enough to get.

 

Particularly @Bobthebuilder but also @Harley and anyone else that can advise us medical types on retraining options.

Leicester college has some,might just be for kids.2 Years is too long any way.

Leicester College 2 year course Plumbing

Leicester College 2 Year course Electrician

 

Then there's some private courses with some grand claims,not sure how realistic they are

https://www.skillstg.co.uk/category/plumbing-courses/

Fast Track Plumber Courses

There are a variety of fast track plumber courses available for students who are looking to train as a plumber quickly. These courses won’t be as in-depth as the traditional apprenticeships but will cover the main components required to get you started in your plumbing career.

Generally, this is the best option for those who cannot find an apprenticeship.

The City and Guilds Accredited Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing Studies is the most popular option for fast track plumbing courses and takes 8-10 weeks to complete.

Pros:

  • The training is accredited, so it teaches you the essentials to get you qualified.
  • The training only takes 8-10 weeks to complete, so you can start earning faster.
  • Anyone aged 16 or above can complete the course.
  • The training will put you in good stead for upskilling at a later stage, such as becoming Gas Safe Registered.

Cons:

  • You need to pay to complete the training.
  • The course will not be as in-depth as a traditional apprenticeship.
  • There is no on-site work experience.
  • You will not be trained to work on gas.

 

 

 

Be careful with these fast track courses as not all can get around the experience requirements needed to get membership of a competent persons scheme to enable you to self certify your work, which is an absolute must.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sancho panza said:

With the end of my Paramedicing likely coming in April 2022,having a chat with @dnb24,I'm looking at some other trade options I can pick up at my late stage in life-50.Have kids to feed,would just like a back up plan.I realise that getting the qual is the start then learning the real world begins.

Any ideas or other trade skills I could look at  and also would welcome any of the experienced trade posters giving advice on what qualifications I would need to work on domestic Electrical/Plumbing as there does seem a lot of different quals out there.

I got a Class 2 licence off the military,is it worth beefing that up with a Class 1?

It looks like you need City & Guilds for plumbing and then to do Gas courses on top.

Of late been trying to get a log burner installer with no joy.Could be a nice ticket to get running alongside another qual if it's easy enough to get.

 

Particularly @Bobthebuilder but also @Harley and anyone else that can advise us medical types on retraining options.

Leicester college has some,might just be for kids.2 Years is too long any way.

Leicester College 2 year course Plumbing

Leicester College 2 Year course Electrician

 

Then there's some private courses with some grand claims,not sure how realistic they are

https://www.skillstg.co.uk/category/plumbing-courses/

Fast Track Plumber Courses

There are a variety of fast track plumber courses available for students who are looking to train as a plumber quickly. These courses won’t be as in-depth as the traditional apprenticeships but will cover the main components required to get you started in your plumbing career.

Generally, this is the best option for those who cannot find an apprenticeship.

The City and Guilds Accredited Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing Studies is the most popular option for fast track plumbing courses and takes 8-10 weeks to complete.

Pros:

  • The training is accredited, so it teaches you the essentials to get you qualified.
  • The training only takes 8-10 weeks to complete, so you can start earning faster.
  • Anyone aged 16 or above can complete the course.
  • The training will put you in good stead for upskilling at a later stage, such as becoming Gas Safe Registered.

Cons:

  • You need to pay to complete the training.
  • The course will not be as in-depth as a traditional apprenticeship.
  • There is no on-site work experience.
  • You will not be trained to work on gas.

 

 

 

Ex-military, go for it!  Yep, HGV through to medic for a, er, security firm!  Have you tried the ARSE website.  It's a common question generally.

PS:  I know someone who advocates for the demobbed in their new jobs (helping with the transition).  I could ask for ideas.

PPS:  It may have been a while but the Army/old regiment/corps may still offer support (ideas, contacts, cash, etc).  You earnt it!

Edited by Harley
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Harley said:

Yep, and a basic course (ex. Electrics) to enable you to install air to air heat pumps.

Its a job and knock kind of job, where you can be home before the kids ... once you've got the hang of it, it'd be a doddle.

Common sense and 6/12 months training.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AlfredTheLittle

Bin man could be well worth considering, particularly if you have a driving qualification. 

Early start and home in time to pick the kids up from school. 

Good for fitness, but not too arduous if the lorry is doing the heavy bin lifting.

No training needed, can start earning immediately.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

Anyone facing pts has to have it.There'll maybe be some work over the phone I could do,but I'm looking to tkae this opportunity to learn a new set of skills.

We might be buying a home in a few years,so picking up some skils that might come in handy would be a Brucie.

It must be a real shite time for you and the rest, regardless of what actually comes to pass.  Various shite happens to a lot of us though like my partner who had to leave her last job a while back due to various shite she could not control.  Best thing she did mentally in her case (and the company's just gone bust!).  A question not seeking an answer - did you always plan to work as a paramedic until retirement or could this be (and it may turn out it isn't!) the time to do whatever else you had in mind.  Most successful people I know got pushed!

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

We might be buying a home in a few years,so picking up some skils that might come in handy would be a Brucie.

So could be a great time to look at the big picture, like move where you want to be and get the skills to fit.  Every threat can also be an opportunity.  For example, like a few around here, buy a renovation project and diy to save the money while the other half works, then use the experience gained to become a handyman, etc.  End result - cheaper house, skill set, and time to think!

PS:  Or combine with formal training - plenty of electrical work for your assessment by the competent person body (although not all assessors  like both examples of your work being at the same site).  Or help out a sparky (esp. an ex military one) to help meet the experience requirements - he/she could at least supervise your work.

PPS:  Or end up with a portfolio career - a bit of this and a bit of that - from trader to computer repair to handyman to whatever - several people do that out in the sticks.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Animal Spirits

Perhaps see if they offer any suitable re-deployment options when it comes to it?

Also consider an operational role at Severn Trent or another water utility, you'll generally be site or area based with varied work.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...