DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

NHS refuseniks retraining later in life-Sparky/Plumber/any other suggestions?

sancho panza

@sancho panza  Getting onto a course at College or training provider, to get a plumbing qualification won't be that difficult.  However...the important bit is to get the work experience which will give you the appropriate NVQ.  That's the bit that's really difficult, unless you know people in the trade, who will will give you that opportunity.

A while back, I used to work as an employment adviser.  We used to see loads of youngsters, who did the college course but couldn't actually go any further.  It was a great shame, but at least the course was free to them.  You'd have to pay for it.  My suggestion is to get the job first, then get the day release bit sorted out afterwards.

Easiest and cheapest option for you might be van driver/deliveries.  If, you want get an LGV license, not too expensive and not too long time wise.  The other thing probably easier to get going on this now.  Once, you get "gross misconduct" on your personnel file from a previous employer, it could make life harder for you.  Social opinion is against refuseniks, so I'd start building the alternative career now before the NHS terminates your employment.

Dismissing NHS staff is happening now, I've already heard of people sacked from a local Dr's surgery.  That Ambulance Trusts are determined to get rid of pure bloods appals me, the waste of talents, the loss of qualifications and experience is awful and they are doing this when they are already short of staff.  Do what you can to survive and do it sooner rather than later.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@sancho panza some construction sites have rescue teams, two burly blokes that will enter and drag out a confined space entry member that gets into trouble.

These are people who get a gas monitor, a draeger with 20 min of air should alarm go off and a harness then go work in underground chambers tunnels and the like.

Most rescue teams do zip but sites have them to cover themselves in risk assessments.

Perhaps of interest. You would need a partner and the confined spaces training but your CV would be well suited.

Home security is going to be a massive growth industry. Most people can't even fit a ring doorbell.

The other thing I know is finding someone to fit / fix / service electric gates is almost impossible no matter how much money you have. 

@sancho panza

I had a couple of further thoughts.  The refuseniks expect to see major effects on peoples health like neurological condition e.g bells palsy, more cancers, and cardio-vascular problems .  We've seen footballers dropping on the pitch.

Won't this happen to your colleagues and won't this make your workplace really dangerous?  I imagine a colleague collapsing at the wheel of an ambulance speeding down a motorway wouldn't be healthy  ..or when carrying  a patient down a flight of stairs using an evacuation chair and your mate says "i've got chest pain!"  accompanied by sweating and pallor, it would be a precarious situation.  You'll have a shrinking workforce and excessive workload as a result - think of your stress levels.

Reality will dawn even in the NHS and managers will realize, they've lost lots of staff.  They'll eventually  be looking for qualified and experienced workers, vaccine status will go out the window.  Right, here's your future opportunity.."I'll work for you on agency basis, my rate will be 3 x previous hourly rate"   You'll be worth it. 

Commercial first aid training? Carpet cleaning? Locksmith? Small business accountant? Maybe add on a few other flexible side hustles such as deliveries.

No chance I'd be thinking about the more physical trades in my 50s. Lots of the lads I grew up with are chippies, brickies, plumbers, carpet fitters etc apprenticeships straight from school, most have worn out knees/backs/wrists/elbows in their 30s and one or two are even off the tools already managing younger lads. 

I have just started a "Data Analyst" free part time course. Well, I say part time. The tutor wants us to put 22 - 27 hours a week into it. :S

However, as a 'non patient' facing paper shuffling NHS employee I may be spared. :/

Still...another string to the bow if I can stick with it. 

I considered retraining in a building trade type role but I think my body is starting to get knackered. 

2 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I have just started a "Data Analyst" free part time course. Well, I say part time. The tutor wants us to put 22 - 27 hours a week into it. :S

However, as a 'non patient' facing paper shuffling NHS employee I may be spared. :/

I considered retraining in a building trade type role but I think my body is starting to get knackered. 

Make sure you get your NUS card for 10% discount at the Coop.

19 hours ago, UmBongo said:

Sounds interesting, let me know what course it is?

21 hours ago, UmBongo said:

What course is it, does it come with a qualification.

I happy type away at home for a basic wage.

One thing to be aware of, most trades now require you to be registered with a professional body. Most notably, any work involving electric and gas.

At the moment, this isn't so much of an issue - they just collect your membership fees every year and leave you alone. But, as we have been seeing with doctors etc. that question the narrative, it isn't beyond these "professional bodies" to strike people off for things unrelated to the profession - e.g. making private comments that they don't like, or refusing the vaccine. They already have the mechanism to do this - "bringing the profession into disrepute".

No real indication that they will be doing this any time soon, they seem content just taking the membership fees. But, in the future it could be a problem, especially with the way "cancel culture" is progressing.

On 15/01/2022 at 23:34, Wight Flight said:

Home security is going to be a massive growth industry. Most people can't even fit a ring doorbell.

The other thing I know is finding someone to fit / fix / service electric gates is almost impossible no matter how much money you have. 

I once met a very nice and unassuming multi-millionaire who used to install electric gates.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

@sancho panza I take it that you've seen this about the Welsh NHS not having a vaccine mandate and being open to taking English non-jabbed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60103323

No I hadn't Frank>many thanks.I'd heard I think via Dr Steve James or someone else that Wales and Scotland weren't doing it which makes NHS England decision even more bizarre.

9 hours ago, macca said:

https://www.rt.com/shows/renegade-inc/545532-british-nhs-american-management/

NHS final nail by the Fucking Tories

Watch this video of the death nail of the NHS..

Costs will double

The poor will go bankrupt from medical bills and die

Tories probably genuinely believe Pfizer will rescue the NHS jsut like they rescued the UK from covid......which would work if they had actually rescued us from covid.

1 minute ago, sancho panza said:

No I hadn't Frank>many thanks.I'd heard I think via Dr Steve James or someone else that Wales and Scotland weren't doing it which makes NHS England decision even more bizarre.

They will back down, whilst simultaneously trying not to lose face.

Wait for the mealie-mouthed weasel-words.

22 hours ago, geordie_lurch said:

Some advice I saw on Twitter earlier for the NHS lot on here standing their ground and holding the line :Beer:

They haven't invited me to much of anything,probably know I won't go.

I wish they'd crack on and sack me so I can sue em.Think they genuinely believe in that toffee nosed arrogant way that the Westmisnter elite have,that if they give me 6 months more I'll take it.....

They've reached the hard core ones now,they should either sack us or f888 off.

1 minute ago, Don Coglione said:

They will back down, whilst simultaneously trying not to lose face.

Wait for the mealie-mouthed weasel-words.

They're like typical bullies aren't they?First sign of a real fight and they do one.Picking on minimum wage care workers is about Boris's/Hatt Mancock's/Sajid Jabid's level.

31 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

I wish they'd crack on and sack me so I can sue em.Think they genuinely believe in that toffee nosed arrogant way that the Westmisnter elite have,that if they give me 6 months more I'll take it.....

Driving into town yesterday, there was a posse of elderly NHS staff with placards stating "From Hero to Zero in 2 years".

Good to see older people refusing to take the jab, and stand up for what's right.

I've a feeling Comrade Boris is going to back down on this and back down on the NI rise .... to prolong his stay in Downing St. 

If it does happen as i suggest it shows how low this country has fallen, in that the jobs of hundreds of thousands of people are prolonged, just so Boris and his social climber Mrs can stay living in Downing St. a little longer.

24 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

They're like typical bullies aren't they?First sign of a real fight and they do one.Picking on minimum wage care workers is about Boris's/Hatt Mancock's/Sajid Jabid's level.

Well lets hope the minimum wage care workers get a nice financial settlement after winning a case against the govt ... such people do a hard job for little reward, and then get fucked over for doing so ... insane that they were the ones turning up for work day in day out at the height of the lockdown, yet when covid is proven to be a false alarm they get sacked by Bojo and the gang.

Boris should be getting sacked for this, his partying is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

On 28/01/2022 at 13:52, sancho panza said:

I think people in the care sector tried to take the government to court over mandates.. They lost.. 

Discrimination is legal now apparently.. on no evidence that the Jab stops you catching  and spreading Covid. 

whats happening here then, are the plans shelved for a new career and retraining, or is the push sufficient to keep going at this with the u turn? does the u turn count for the participants here? i dont know i didnt read it too closely since im not nhs.

Archived