DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Paint chip repairs

Loki

Noticed a couple of chips that are just starting to rust.  I know of those Smart repair type companies, are they any good for dealing with corrosion or are they cosmetic only?

Is there a middle ground between panel respray and paint touch-up?

I have zero knowledge or enthusiasm for paint, I stick to the oily bits.  

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Not the Hilux I hope...

:o

Yeah, they're not that bad at all right now, I just want to sort it before the salt goes down

Carl Fimble
25 minutes ago, Loki said:

Yeah, they're not that bad at all right now, I just want to sort it before the salt goes down

It's white if I remember correctly, what about using some Tippex as a temporary solution?

O.o

Carl Fimble

Only joking obviously, I'm no expert in any way but I'd think some sort of rust treatment, then primer, then a wee bit of touch up paint?

Is it on the front end? If so maybe one of those bonnet bras might offer some protection once the little chipped bits have been dealt with?

2 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

It's white if I remember correctly, what about using some Tippex as a temporary solution?

O.o

Silver! 

Just now, Carl Fimble said:

Only joking obviously, I'm no expert in any way but I'd think some sort of rust treatment, then primer, then a wee bit of touch up paint?

Is it on the front end? If so maybe one of those bonnet bras might offer some protection once the little chipped bits have been dealt with?

I've found a guy with good Google reviews so that's about it really.  I was just asking as I have seen some crappy Smart repairs.  I don't touch paint, I would fuck it up xD

Carl Fimble
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Silver! 

I've found a guy with good Google reviews so that's about it really.  I was just asking as I have seen some crappy Smart repairs.  I don't touch paint, I would fuck it up xD

Hopefully you're happy with what he does and it doesn't cost a fortune.

Take photos before he comes and get everything in writing, and don't pay a penny until you're happy, I'd not normally add all that but everyone is shit, as people and at their jobs. Cunts. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Carl Fimble said:

Hopefully you're happy with what he does and it doesn't cost a fortune.

Take photos before he comes and get everything in writing, and don't pay a penny until you're happy, I'd not normally add all that but everyone is shit, as people and at their jobs. Cunts. 

That is good advice though, cheers!

Carl Fimble
1 minute ago, Loki said:

That is good advice though, cheers!

Photos of the whole truck too, in case he does something mental and fucks up a bit completely unconnected to the bit he's meant to be working on. 

Not that I have absolutely no faith at all in anyone to do a decent job....

10 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Photos of the whole truck too, in case he does something mental and fucks up a bit completely unconnected to the bit he's meant to be working on. 

Not that I have absolutely no faith at all in anyone to do a decent job....

No you are right, I am far too trusting in that regard - because I always try to do the best job I can

• Agree 1

Carl Fimble
Just now, Loki said:

No you are right, I am far too trusting in that regard - because I always try to do the best job I can

#MeToo, and I'm only now beginning to accept that (many, #NotAll) other people just don't seem to give a fuck.

I don't get it at all, they must get no job satisfaction at all from the shite they produce. 

• Agree 1

On 13/11/2021 at 15:43, Loki said:

Noticed a couple of chips that are just starting to rust.  I know of those Smart repair type companies, are they any good for dealing with corrosion or are they cosmetic only?

Is there a middle ground between panel respray and paint touch-up?

I have zero knowledge or enthusiasm for paint, I stick to the oily bits.  

I know the definitive guide for fixing this:

Don't forget to give me a thumbs up to my comment for the very valuable post showing you the best touch up technique known to man!

• Informative 2

33 minutes ago, No One said:

Don't forget to give me a thumbs up to my comment for the very valuable post showing you the best touch up technique known to man!

Neat, I've used a sharpened matchstick before, much easier to lay in small blobs of paint into a chip than a brush, you can get to the point where you can gauge the size of the blob on the matchstick end against the size of the stone chip so you don't end up with a dip or meniscus of too big a size - though you want to end up slightly proud  (once cured) so buffing takes the surface down to the body paint level - nay aftermarket paint like this will be much softer than the original paint coat generally.

Chewing Grass
55 minutes ago, No One said:

I use these, Huby Paint Spears, fantastic for doing repairs to Japanned Antiques and small stone chips.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.xjkNxcl0iUPyV3zy1_0JAAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=200&h=170

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321323559925

2 hours ago, No One said:

Cheers! I may be brave and try this myself...

manservantjerkins

I keep a bottle of silver nail varnish to cover any chips as they appear- can't remember who's idea it was. Seems to have worked so far. Obviously it's not in any way proper...

Nothing more permanent than a temporary fix :D