DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Hours × Intensity × Ability = Results

spygirl

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/yorkshire-boss-criticised-for-urging-people-to-work-seven-days-a-week-or-they-wont-achieve-much-3456447

Christian Nellemann, founder of Sheffield utilities firm XLN, said that as well as putting the hours in ‘you have to work with intensity’ and ‘it is no good having breaks all the time’.

In a Linkedin post he asked: “Are you guilty of not working hard enough?”

He wrote: “If you are not prepared to work 12–18 hours a day, six or seven days a week, then you are not going to achieve much or become a big success. It is that simple. And you have to work with intensity. It is no good having breaks all the time

Billy bignbollocks.

https://smithandwilliamson.com/en/solutions/entrepreneurs/entrepreneurs-hall-of-fame/christian-nellemann/

It's just a MeToo utilities bundle.

If you have to work 12-18 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week no less, to get anything done then you must be a moron. The only jobs I can imagine getting more done in 18 hours than 9 are really repetitive tasks like stuffing envelopes or putting widgets in boxes on a conveyor belt.

Hard work is one thing, but top athletes appreciate the importance of recovery and avoiding over-training.

Edit to add: Thread title tells the whole story:

Hours x Intensity x Ability = results

This guy knows he lacks ability, hence the focus on the other two.

3 hours ago, Axeman123 said:

If you have to work 12-18 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week no less, to get anything done then you must be a moron. The only jobs I can imagine getting more done in 18 hours than 9 are really repetitive tasks like stuffing envelopes or putting widgets in boxes on a conveyor belt.

Hard work is one thing, but top athletes appreciate the importance of recovery and avoiding over-training.

Edit to add: Thread title tells the whole story:

Hours x Intensity x Ability = results

This guy knows he lacks ability, hence the focus on the other two.

Nit noticed this org before.

Theye 50m of assets which is eyebrow raising for a call centre of 350 people.

XLN has been shortlisted for and won a number of awards], including: • CEO of the Year for Christian Nellemann at the BVCA Management Awards 2015[13] • Best in Sector: SME Telecommunications Acquisition International Awards 2015,[14] a vanity award • Best Customer Focus at the 2013 Best Business Awards[15]  Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award for Christian Nellemann in 2006[16] and 2010[17] • Shortlisted for e-Commerce Business of the Year at the Digital Entrepreneur Awards • Finalist at the 2013 National Business Awards for Customer Focus • Nominated as one of the top 50 fastest growing companies in the UK at the Accelerate 2013 business conference.[18] • Finalist at the 2017 Amazon Growing Business Awards

EY anything of the year ..... run!

working woman

It depends on what you define as "success".

For me, it is about work / life balance. This mans life seems very out of balance, unless he has a housewife at home to provide the balance or at the very least a housekeeper.

To achieve more, you also need to trust others and delegating tasks, enabling you to focus on growing the company.

I hope he recognises the contribution his hardworking employees make to his success and he rewards them adequately for it.

200% effort to achieve 120% success is dumb.

20% effort to achieve 80% success is smart.

5 x 20% effort to achieve 5 x 80% success is very smart.

Delegating so as to achieve 5 x 80% success with only 20% of personal effort is brilliant.

Anyone who advertises themselves as an 'entrepreneur' usually isn't. It's easy to be successful in business once, but to do it repeatedly is the hard part. Very few 'entrepreneurs' seem to realise this. As fr working 18 hours a day 7 days a week, I haven't met anyone who does that. People that say they work hard rarely even do half the hours they claim in my experience.

Plus, automation in business is massively underrated. I have automated most tasks and earn more than when I was doing it manually. Why wouldn't you?

The 18 hours a day guys are talking about thinking about business while awake.

Taxi drivers are similar. Get in the car at 7pm, get home at 7am, that's a 12 hour shift. Any time spent parked up and waiting for work still counts as working.

2 hours ago, jm51 said:

The 18 hours a day guys are talking about thinking about business while awake.

Taxi drivers are similar. Get in the car at 7pm, get home at 7am, that's a 12 hour shift. Any time spent parked up and waiting for work still counts as working.

To be fair most company owners do that. If your mind's wandering and you're thinking about your business while you're sat watching TV counts does that really count as "18 hours a day" ...? I probably do that and indeed so do most company owners. Sounds like a cop out though, I wouldn't have the gall to claim I even work 12 hours a day if 4 of those were just simply thinking about the business while taking the dog out etc!

11 hours ago, spunko said:

Anyone who advertises themselves as an 'entrepreneur' usually isn't. It's easy to be successful in business once, but to do it repeatedly is the hard part. Very few 'entrepreneurs' seem to realise this. As fr working 18 hours a day 7 days a week, I haven't met anyone who does that. People that say they work hard rarely even do half the hours they claim in my experience.

Plus, automation in business is massively underrated. I have automated most tasks and earn more than when I was doing it manually. Why wouldn't you?

You see this in lots of areas such as business, investment and sports management. Get in the right area at the right time and it is not that hard to be successful with a modicum of ability and some perseverance . Repeating the process again when fortune is not favouring you is not so easy. In addition moving out of ones niche is very dangerous even for successful business men. People should play to their strengths, recognise that luck plays a part in most achievements and not kid themselves they are geniuses because the   overwhelming likelihood is that they are not.

Again.

On my monitor now.

Scores on the (glass) door

Pros

I've been working at XLN for just over 4 years now and I've loved every minute of it! I started at XLN with minimal experience and the support and training I've received from my manager and team has definitely helped me to get where I am today! What I've noticed about XLN is that they will invest in you and are willing to develop you in your role whether that's through internal training and/or taking external courses/qualifications. The offices are spacious, clean and there's a friendly atmosphere to it. XLN provide some stellar perks as well including free Friday Breakfast, monthly after work drinks, rewards for achieving certain length of service milestones and much more. I've always felt supported by my manager and team and they've always encouraged me to be the best I can within my role. If it wasn't for XLN I definitely wouldn't be in the position I am in today and for that I always be forever grateful!

Cons

Not so much a con but perhaps introducing some breakfast pastries for Friday breakfast, adds to the variety that the Company already provides.

Pros

Fantastic environment for progression, this is a very tough job. However with the correct attitude and determination its a phenomenal platform for success. In this company your financial and aspirational success is really driven by yourself, its not an easy job. However if you turn up, have the right attitude and ability to motivate yourself they will teach you everything else that you need to know to be successful. I’ve been working there for 2 months and with the hours and hard work already achieved my first 2 promotions. Great senior management who will always aim to help you. Very good benefits, work events and clear progression route.

Cons

The job is difficult, it provides a challenging environment but it also allows for you to really stand out if you have the correct attitude. You need to have the ability to learn fast, and be able to soak in knowledge like a sponge.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. In my 6 years in sales since the age of 16, I have never worked for a company like yours. I can’t wait to help the company grow.

Pros

Free coffee and the other agents are the best people on the planet and deserve so much better than this hell hole.

Cons

Re-writing this as it was removed :) When I first started at XLN, I saw myself starting a career, yet over the last couple of months and during Covid, I have never been so disgusted with the way an employer operates in my life. I have been made aware of 2 positive covid cases in the past two weeks, staff have not been informed of this in an official capacity. The offices have remained open against government guidelines as the management don’t trust agents to work from home, even if you are a hard worker. They love to micromanage and any little mistake you make, you’re pulled into a meeting room and given a good rinsing. The atmosphere at XLN is completely toxic, the only thing that makes it better is the people you meet. I was asked to step up as a senior member of the department I was on due to how quickly I gained knowledge and my work ethic, and this was said to me numerous times by management. Yet I make one small mistake, on an area I am not trained on, I get dragged into a room, sworn at and brought to tears because of this. The company took no accountability for the mistake that was made as there was SUCH a lack of training, and I was told by the manager that he didn’t care how I felt and that if I made one more mistake then I would have my badge snatched from me and marched out of the building. This caused me to have a panic attack in the company bathroom & then I was later to find out that senior members of the HR team called me a cry baby and said I needed to get a grip and learn to take feedback. When I asked for support in the following days, I was met with the response that if I needed to do something else I would be but on higher priority calls. A certain manager is completely oblivious to what goes on in his own departments & some of the activities that have happened historically would be enough for both a Police and HR investigation (if HR weren’t so corrupt)! You are paid less than minimum wages in some cases as you are expected to stay over your contracted hours if the work is not done as expected. No room for pay rises as the dividends of the company to their owners and shareholders are clearly more important. This is public information and can be found on Companies House. You have to jump through hoops to get even noticed for a promotion and even then your role is not worth the money you get paid, alongside the false promises for pay rises. The teams on most of the departments are complete overworked and understaffed, yet this is seen as an excuse and not a reason for the work not being completed. Every workplace has some unrealistic expectations from staff, but this is something else. The company has no care for your personal or mental well-being, and if the job or even life gets too much for you sometimes, when you do call in sick you are inadvertently accused of being a liar and in some cases they will ask for your medical records to prove your point. Ignore the HR replies on this, they’re just trying to save face and make out as though it’s the best place ever to work, when in actual fact, it’s hell on earth and will ruin you.

Advice to Management

Close the business down, you’ll be saving a lot of people.

Christian Nellemann established XLN for small businesses because he knew: while busy people spend their time working hard to build and grow, they will spend less time reading the small prints of contracts. And this is how he managed to make 50-100 Million of revenue in the year 2014. Thief.

8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Scores on the (glass) door...in actual fact, it’s hell on earth and will ruin you.

Advice to Management

Close the business down, you’ll be saving a lot of people.

I think we now see his 18 hours without breaks advice was for others, not himself.

What a POS!

17 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

I think we now see his 18 hours without breaks advice was for others, not himself.

What a POS!

Its a boilerroom operation.
Selling utilities with dubious contract terms and charges.

The people selling appear to by lying to get sales.

They appear to only have a salesforce.

No customer support team.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Blimey, the only Pro is 'free coffee'. It's pretty much free anyway if it's that instant stuff.

In job ads, you always get shit like - free coffee, free breakfast, free gym etc etc.

Pay me more and Ill buy those myself. They aint expensive.

Its a scammy boiler room for idiots.

On 14/11/2021 at 17:29, spygirl said:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/yorkshire-boss-criticised-for-urging-people-to-work-seven-days-a-week-or-they-wont-achieve-much-3456447

Christian Nellemann, founder of Sheffield utilities firm XLN, said that as well as putting the hours in ‘you have to work with intensity’ and ‘it is no good having breaks all the time’.

In a Linkedin post he asked: “Are you guilty of not working hard enough?”

He wrote: “If you are not prepared to work 12–18 hours a day, six or seven days a week, then you are not going to achieve much or become a big success. It is that simple. And you have to work with intensity. It is no good having breaks all the time

Billy bignbollocks.

https://smithandwilliamson.com/en/solutions/entrepreneurs/entrepreneurs-hall-of-fame/christian-nellemann/

It's just a MeToo utilities bundle.

Lol, my father used to function like this. He became probably the most respected expert in his field in the country and got recognised with a presidential award, but could never tell my exact age or names of any of my friends. My criteria for success in life are vastly different. I'm taking my son to his game this evening even if it means I'm not getting promoted in the next 5 years.

14 minutes ago, kibuc said:

Lol, my father used to function like this. He became probably the most respected expert in his field in the country and got recognised with a presidential award, but could never tell my exact age or names of any of my friends. My criteria for success in life are vastly different. I'm taking my son to his game this evening even if it means I'm not getting promoted in the next 5 years.

WTAF would anyone want a promotion - it ain't going to pay more money and will just give you more grief. 

1 minute ago, eek said:

WTAF would anyone want a promotion - it ain't going to pay more money and will just give you more grief. 

My last promotion 2 or 3 years ago came with a nice salary bump for simply continuing to do things I'd already been doing. The next one, however, would mean more pressure and poorer work-life balance in exchange for extra dough taxed at 42% that wouldn't make difference to my life anyway, doesn't sound like a good deal.
My hours are fixed and my intensity is in a slow but steady decline, yet I'm quite happy with the results. I guess my ability must be making up for everything :P

• 2 months later...

A long time ago I became a devotee of the "work / life balance" school of thought.

12-18 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week? No matter how good they are, the rewards outside of work can't convince me that's a good use of my time. I'm out !

:Beer:

HousePriceMania
51 minutes ago, Andersen said:

A long time ago I became a devotee of the "work / life balance" school of thought.

12-18 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week? No matter how good they are, the rewards outside of work can't convince me that's a good use of my time. I'm out !

:Beer:

Who, on their death bed, wishes they'd worked more ?

Who on their death bed, wishes they'd worked more when they were young, fit, healthy and beautiful so they could having more time when they retire to party hard when they are old, fat, decrepit and wrinkly ?

A mate of mine when finding out he had cancer, first thing he said to me was, I've not shagged enough women or got pissed enough.

Live young, leave a good looking corpse dont use adult pampers.

With a crooked smile
On 17/11/2021 at 14:16, kibuc said:

exchange for extra dough taxed at 42%

It gets worse... 60% tax trap between 100-120ish k. 

I stick all my side hustle money through the wife and stepson otherwise it wouldn't be worth it. 

Putting that much effort into your own company is an investment in the future so you can retire early.

Putting that much effort into someone else’s company for minimal reward means they can retire early.

He’s probably a psychopath and has learned to manipulate people with strong leadership and bullying.  Why wouldn’t he want his employees working 24/7/365 ?

Archived