• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bakez

Is this email as good as a job offer and can be used to tell another employer to hurry up?

Recommended Posts

I have 2 job applications running, one of them told me in the last interview to notify them if anything happens with other jobs as 'he wouldnt want it to fall through beacuse the next interview wasnt arranged fast enough'

Anyway I got this email today regarding another job:

"Dear *****,
 
Thank you very much for the fruitful discussion we have had yesterday and for your complete ************ list.
 
We are now in the process of completing the official written evaluation of the candidates, which is a formality here at ******* and I hope you will hear back from us latest early next week. However, as mentioned during our skype call, you are the first short-listed candidate and based on our discussion and your achievements I can foresee a very successful outcome of our cooperation.
 
Moreover, I would like to thank you for providing the phone numbers of your references. I will call ************ later today.
 
Have a nice day!
 
Best Regards,
*******"

Is this email good enough to go to the other company and tell them that I need them to hurry the fuck up? Or should I wait incase this falls through. I had both interview yesterday.

I am not in a financial position to turn down work and if I do not get either of these I will probably be unemployed forever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bakez said:


We are now in the process of completing the official written evaluation of the candidates, which is a formality here at ******* and I hope you will hear back from us latest early next week. However, as mentioned during our skype call, you are the first short-listed candidate and based on our discussion and your achievements I can foresee a very successful outcome of our cooperation.
 
Moreover, I would like to thank you for providing the phone numbers of your references. I will call ************ later today.


That is not a job offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easiest thing to do here is to do nothing and wait.  

If you have a solid offer at that point you might tell the other one to sort themselves out, depending on how much you want the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want the one that I need to hurry up

The problem is that the next round I have to go there for a full day, and then after that a decision is made.

So I need them to arrange the next interview ASAP because if its next month its safe to say I have to take the other one because I cant risk getting nothing and being unemployed forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shall I contact them and say I had an interview for a similar job and that they verbally said (and in follow up email) that they intend to make me an offer next week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think you need one or other of these two jobs then maybe your priority should be maximising the chances of being offered one or both. 

Now, trying to hurry Co. No.1 may take them out of the loop if they feel rushed - only needs one member of recruitment team to think that way.

So on balance maybe best to say nothing for now but then if you do get a firm offer from other company to then go back and say look I really want to work for you but have this offer and am keen to get working.\

Edit - also all sorts can happen to lengthen the process - medicals, negotiating t&c's so tricky to say which would come first anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll still be in a trial period if you have already taken Job 1 and are asked to a final interview with Job 2.

It's not ideal to do this to Job 1 as it will close that door for ever, not something you want to be in the habit of doing, but you can still take Job 2.

Edit :- What I mean is - trial periods are not just about the company trying you out, though that is the way most people think of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

You'll still be in a trial period if you have already taken Job 1 and are asked to a final interview with Job 2.

It's not ideal to do this to Job 1 as it will close that door for ever, not something you want to be in the habit of doing, but you can still take Job 2.

Edit :- What I mean is - trial periods are not just about the company trying you out, though that is the way most people think of them.

Good point about trial period - might find the job is better than imagined - team, prospects. TBH until actually working in a particular environment the view form outside is so opaque that impossible to tell if you really want to work in place A vs B.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

You'll still be in a trial period if you have already taken Job 1 and are asked to a final interview with Job 2.

It's not ideal to do this to Job 1 as it will close that door for ever, not something you want to be in the habit of doing, but you can still take Job 2.

 

 

The jobs are exactly the same except one is a university and one is a company.

I want the one in a company but I can't be burning bridges like that given the chance that I will encounter them again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK well I guess you will have to wait for the real offer, if it comes, from Job 1. At that time you can give Job 2 the hurry-up.

Personally if I was HR in Job1 (and I have worked in HR long ago) I wouldn't hold it against you if you took the job and gave notice during the trial period that you had an offer you liked better, it's not the school playground at 5 where you pledge to be best friends forever then the next day with another, but not everyone thinks like that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an email from a Nigerian princess offering to deposit $5m in my bank account if I help her get it out of the country.

im going to send that to my current project manager along with a big "fuck you", then go out and see if any banks will advance me a bit based on her promise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you need to accept the offer from the uni straight away? As suggested above, wait until you get a formal offer. Tell the uni you need some time to think about it or that you're away on Easter holiday or whatever. Then get onto the company and tell them you have a formal offer and they need to get their arse in gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.