DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Inflation

snaga

How is everyone protecting themselves from inflation?

We have threads on gold, bitcoin etc, but what companies are good buys during high inflation?

I'm think companies that own lots of land and property, rather than lease thier property. 

It's been said that McDonald's is a real estate company, not  a fast food company. McDonald's owns the land that their franchises build restaurants on. Is that true or just a myth?

Any others?

Energy is good, but not UK utilities as price caps are destroying them, US utilities could be a good option?

Edited by snaga

King Penda

I’d go for false I cannot see McDonald’s being allowed to buy just a section in the middle of a retail park .however I do know some where they have bought the land .it’s like Taylor whimpy their value is in there extensive land bank .but back to McDonald’s I surpose all there owned land will increase in value year on year so my guess could be incorrect 

• Informative 1

protecting from inflation?

Work out what you need for the next two years in terms of clothes.  Go buy the ones you like at a cheap price.

As an example, took the oldest son to buy two shirts (for school) and two pairs of trousers (casual) yesterday.  One size in now, one a size up for growth.  2 for 1  offers.  Good quality.  

If they have gone down in AUD pricing in 12 months, I will eat my hat.  now, I am giving up possible return if I had invested that 100 bucks, but I would hazard that my inflation saving will be more than interest on 100 bucks in most assets.

I also bought a whole load of tools this week.  Same thing - they are NOT going to go down in price.

The only thing to consider is that you do not want to buy stuff that i) you don't really need and ii) stuff that will be sold off cheap in estate auctions when everyone starts dying of the vaccine side effects.  I bought new tools (ratchets, etc) but expect to be picking up nice old garden tools in the next 12 months.

• Informative 1

12 hours ago, wherebee said:

protecting from inflation?

Work out what you need for the next two years in terms of clothes.  Go buy the ones you like at a cheap price.

As an example, took the oldest son to buy two shirts (for school) and two pairs of trousers (casual) yesterday.  One size in now, one a size up for growth.  2 for 1  offers.  Good quality.  

If they have gone down in AUD pricing in 12 months, I will eat my hat.  now, I am giving up possible return if I had invested that 100 bucks, but I would hazard that my inflation saving will be more than interest on 100 bucks in most assets.

I also bought a whole load of tools this week.  Same thing - they are NOT going to go down in price.

The only thing to consider is that you do not want to buy stuff that i) you don't really need and ii) stuff that will be sold off cheap in estate auctions when everyone starts dying of the vaccine side effects.  I bought new tools (ratchets, etc) but expect to be picking up nice old garden tools in the next 12 months.

I get that, but saving a few $100 isn't what I had in mind :)

what about investment ideas? looking at my pension pot, and where to put my money, already have gold & oil.

The rest is mostly in cheap index funds, but I'm concerned index funds are in a bubble of their own, so I'm looking to pick out individual stocks, or just put a chunk in to a real estate fund?

I found this old FT article about investing in farmland, none of the funds mentioned are available via HL, I guess the elites don't want us plebs getting in on their game?

How to invest in farmland | Financial Times (ft.com)

Of the HL real estate funds, they seem to just invest in other real estate funds & companies, and include property rather than just land.

In fact I'm finding it hard to find any funds or ETFs available on HL that includes Farmland. 

Edited by snaga