DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Foreign trips & holidays ..... involving the least hassle for the unjabbed?

maffo

I don't know where to start?!

I think it's doable to visit The Canary Islands without too much fuss, pcr before you go, another test a day or two after you've arrived?

I'm off 20th December - 06th January, would like a break somewhere warm! :S

Edited by maffo
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, maffo said:

I don't know where to start?!

I think it's doable to visit The Canary Islands without too much fuss, pcr before you go, another test a day or two after you've arrived?

I'm off 20th December - 06th January, would like a break somewhere warm! :S

I'm off to Tenerife - maybe -  December. 

Test before you go. Fill in locator form. no test needed once arrived, Then day or two before return one test over there. Then fill in UK locator form. Then meant to do day 2 and day 8 test and quarantine. But hearing from numerous folk who have been abroad and got tests back home - I just plan to book a day 2 as all you put in your form is a reference number and that's it. 

Fairly faffy but doable. That was last time I checked so may have changed, Im not booking any tests until a few days before. No point. 

• Informative 3

WorkingPoor
2 hours ago, ccc said:

I'm off to Tenerife - maybe -  December. 

Test before you go. Fill in locator form. no test needed once arrived, Then day or two before return one test over there. Then fill in UK locator form. Then meant to do day 2 and day 8 test and quarantine. But hearing from numerous folk who have been abroad and got tests back home - I just plan to book a day 2 as all you put in your form is a reference number and that's it. 

Fairly faffy but doable. That was last time I checked so may have changed, Im not booking any tests until a few days before. No point. 

is this a holiday? 

or sheer bloody mindedness? 

Edited by WorkingPoor
  • Agree 3
  • Lol 1

WorkingPoor
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

I think Mexico and Columbia are the ONLY two countries that we can fly to unmolested.

It will hard to remain unmolested once you arrive there thought! :ph34r:

stop_the_craziness

It's very much of a muchness wherever you go to be honest.  It's faff but not life-changing faff.  I did it in October and it's annoying, but everything about airports is annoying so if you've always been prepared to do all the other bollocks then this bollocks isn't really any worse in a practical sense.  It's the moral bankruptcy and financial rip-off that's the hardest to swallow, but again, it's not like those are new things when it comes to going on holiday so there's no reason it should put you off any more than the other stuff

Now I've done it once it doesn't seem nearly as intimidating.  The hardest thing will be predicting which places aren't going to go batshit mental in the next month.  

• Agree 4

7 hours ago, Mcozzy said:

Fair play to anyone who is prepared to jump through the ever changing fiery hoops.

Me, I'll stay here and save my money until normality returns, if it ever does 

It really isn't any hardship. The only annoying thing is having to wear a mask occasionally when out there.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

It really isn't any hardship. The only annoying thing is having to wear a mask occasionally when out there.

The potential big kicker is getting a + test when due to fly back. 

10 days to pay in some shit hotel room. Then your flight. Then losses from not working - especially if you do contract stuff like myself. 

Even a dodgy false + test could cost me £3-4k. Just like that. And fuck all I could do about it. 

The faffing about with forms and being "flexible" with what I put on them:D I don't give a fuck about. 

• Agree 1

WorkingPoor
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

That isn't annoying. It is a deal breaker.

As is wearing a mask in the airport and on a plane.

It is why the 'get a jab to travel' won't work on me. If that is travel they can keep it.

F52FD1AC-23C8-4669-90C0-591387514910.png

silent running! man! xD

Edited by WorkingPoor

Current plan in our household is to cancel all foreign holidays and spend the cash on a boat. Plenty of the UK coast that we haven't seen.  As long as we are still allowed to move within/around the UK (which might be the flaw in our plan) then everything is rosy.

The last foreign jaunt cost me about £700 extra in tests compared to the vaccinated/exempt members of our party.  While part of me thinks "fuck em" and I'll just pay it, I'm also aware that most of that money is going straight into the pockets of mates of the arseholes that are exacerbating the problem.

Edited by Inigo
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Current plan in our household is to cancel all foreign holidays and spend the cash on a boat. Plenty of the UK coast that we haven't seen.  As long as we are still allowed to move within/around the UK (which might be the flaw in our plan) then everything is rosy.

The last foriegn jaunt cost me about £700 extra in tests compared to the vaccinated/exempt members of our party.  While part of me thinks "fuck em" and I'll just pay it, I'm also aware that most of that money is going straight into the pockets of mates of the arseholes that are exacerbating the problem.

even better, book trips overseas with no cancellation fees, and then cancel with the reason 'additional testing costs too expensive'.

We all need to make the economic hurt badly for the industries involved, so they are screaming in the ears of the politicians.

• Agree 4
  • Cheers 4

8 hours ago, ccc said:

The potential big kicker is getting a + test when due to fly back. 

10 days to pay in some shit hotel room. Then your flight. Then losses from not working - especially if you do contract stuff like myself. 

Even a dodgy false + test could cost me £3-4k. Just like that. And fuck all I could do about it. 

The faffing about with forms and being "flexible" with what I put on them:D I don't give a fuck about. 

I'd just get someone else to take it if mine came back positive. From memory it was a lateral flow one that you need to do so pretty easy to fake.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

That isn't annoying. It is a deal breaker.

As is wearing a mask in the airport and on a plane.

It is why the 'get a jab to travel' won't work on me. If that is travel they can keep it.

You don't need a mask in an airport. I've not worn one since this nonsense began. 

On flight yes but differing levels of giving a fuck by cabin crew. 

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

I'd just get someone else to take it if mine came back positive. From memory it was a lateral flow one that you need to do so pretty easy to fake.

Depends how dodgy the place doing the test is. The one you got in Spain to come back was in person ? 

If they are covid Nazis you're fucked. 

7 minutes ago, ccc said:

You don't need a mask in an airport. I've not worn one since this nonsense began. 

On flight yes but differing levels of giving a fuck by cabin crew. 

Depends how dodgy the place doing the test is. The one you got in Spain to come back was in person ? 

If they are covid Nazis you're fucked. 

Yeah, I did it in the hotel room. It was just a lateral flow so if it said it was positive I'd have been the first to know.

The biggest block for me is the 10 day quarantine on return. I can’t afford to take that much time off

Is there any way around this?

I’m sure I read somewhere that you can reduce the length of the quarantine somehow. Maybe this only applies to the jabbed? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

What a total unnecessary farce!

• Agree 1

The Generation Game
21 minutes ago, spunko said:

I'm sure the direction of travel means that will stay the same. We'll probably get to travel becoming a 2G activity. 

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Ianb78 said:

The biggest block for me is the 10 day quarantine on return. I can’t afford to take that much time off

Is there any way around this?

I’m sure I read somewhere that you can reduce the length of the quarantine somehow. Maybe this only applies to the jabbed? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

What a total unnecessary farce!

There is.

You book yourself an onward ferry to Guernsey, and a cancellable hotel room.

You can then put yourself down on the locator form as a transit passenger and they don't come looking for you.

But of a shame if you miss the ferry.

Note this is theoretical. I haven't tried it.

• Lol 1