DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Where will the property bubble burst first?

spunko

49 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't disagree with your example but what you are seeing is s106 housing - the proportion of affordable housing that the developer must build which will be the smallest houses on the smallest plots in the worst location such as entrance corner to an estate.

Social housing built by contractors specifically for councils or HAs will have a much better build quality than the standard new build.

It will have gone up this last couple of years but a three bed semi would typically have £100k build cost on a new build for sale but £160k for one specifically built for social housing.

Down here 95% of 'social housing' is in fact just Section 106. It's very very rare to see genuine social housing. They finally managed to build some in my village - a grand total of 5 houses.

Luckily they could only be purchased if you had lived in the village for more than X number of years.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't disagree with your example but what you are seeing is s106 housing - the proportion of affordable housing that the developer must build which will be the smallest houses on the smallest plots in the worst location such as entrance corner to an estate.

Social housing built by contractors specifically for councils or HAs will have a much better build quality than the standard new build.

It will have gone up this last couple of years but a three bed semi would typically have £100k build cost on a new build for sale but £160k for one specifically built for social housing.

I was looking at what was once a council house in Salisbury thats up for auction.

Now if for a moment you can forget about the absurd price ... and click on streetview, you'll see the green space, driveways and gardens the govt of that day deemed acceptable for the working class in that society ... you then have to ask yourself what the hell has been allowed to happen to housing standards.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/118666949#/?channel=RES_BUY

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/118666949#/streetView?channel=RES_BUY

image.png.5e6eccf95e9dc144c6e2bc9c30836c9b.png

Bidding starts at £275 f'en grand though!

17 minutes ago, Hancock said:

I was looking at what was once a council house in Salisbury thats up for auction.

Now if for a moment you can forget about the absurd price ... and click on streetview, you'll see the green space, driveways and gardens the govt of that day deemed acceptable for the working class in that society ... you then have to ask yourself what the hell has been allowed to happen to housing standards.

I suppose the real question would be why can't everyone have that space? Building a house is expensive but the land shouldn't be.

If you look at a satellite view of your town there will be the jammed in historic centre, the main radiating roads with the big houses, and then the estates.

You can roughly date estates by looking at how spaced out they are.  Up to at least the mid seventies everyone received a decent sized back garden and front garden with houses being semi-detached or detached and with decent sized rooms.

They have all since shrunk until the modern private estate has front "gardens" of two feet of railed gravel between the house and the pavement and a back garden smaller than the house.

And the houses are terraced; though finished in fancy pastel colours to make them look a lot nicer than they actually are.

Down here you can be paying £400k for one if those in a seaside town.

Democorruptcy
On 14/01/2022 at 14:43, moneyscam said:

Anecdotal but interesting to me at least. Was pulling into my drive and I recognised the agent that sold my house last year taking pictures of a neighbours house outside. Asked her how much they were selling it for, she said £400K, I was like blimey they paid £350k for that only a year ago. So I asked her just out of interest (no intention to sell) if she could have a quick look at mine and tell me what she thought it would go for in current market. She said £380K after I told her I paid £325K 18 months ago to which I replied that's ridiculous, max I would have valued it currently was £340-350K range.

We both agreed the market was still bonkers but she did say she saw it cooling off this year and that many sellers were being unrealistic with kite flying prices and that those were not shifting.

I expect with the cost of living squeeze, end of stamp duty and end of furlough she will be proved right. I really pity the young just starting out today and can see the UK becoming like Italy where the 'kids' don't move out till their early 30's.

It needs a few kite flyers to not be able to sell, increase supply and encourage newer ones to ask for less. Looking at a place in England I know, there used to be about 200 for sale and pre-covid I'd expect no more than 30% SSTC, so 140 available. Today there are 135 for sale with 107 or 80% SSTC, only 28 available. I don't see prices falling with so little options to buy, so something needs to change. Looks like their 'levelling up' plan is going well, making more places unaffordable.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I suppose the real question would be why can't everyone have that space? Building a house is expensive but the land shouldn't be.

If you look at a satellite view of your town there will be the jammed in historic centre, the main radiating roads with the big houses, and then the estates.

You can roughly date estates by looking at how spaced out they are.  Up to at least the mid seventies everyone received a decent sized back garden and front garden with houses being semi-detached or detached and with decent sized rooms.

They have all since shrunk until the modern private estate has front "gardens" of two feet of railed gravel between the house and the pavement and a back garden smaller than the house.

And the houses are terraced; though finished in fancy pastel colours to make them look a lot nicer than they actually are.

Down here you can be paying £400k for one if those in a seaside town.

Indeed look at this one it’s a 4 bed .it’s going to be built around 1960 .certain estates tend to have bigger gardens than other estates in stoke the newer the estate the smaller the garden even the council did this .ps I’d rip the trees out of the bottom of the ample garden and create off road parking https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/113894141?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

47EE64A7-A1E3-4B06-BBEF-14A4853607B2.png

With a crooked smile
3 hours ago, King Penda said:

Indeed look at this one it’s a 4 bed .it’s going to be built around 1960 .certain estates tend to have bigger gardens than other estates in stoke the newer the estate the smaller the garden even the council did this .ps I’d rip the trees out of the bottom of the ample garden and create off road parking https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/113894141?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

47EE64A7-A1E3-4B06-BBEF-14A4853607B2.png

Seen a lot of post war ex council houses that seem to have a massive garden out the back. I wonder if it was a hangover from the dig for England movement and rationing ie people would have space to grow their own fruit and veg? 

15 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Seen a lot of post war ex council houses that seem to have a massive garden out the back. I wonder if it was a hangover from the dig for England movement and rationing ie people would have space to grow their own fruit and veg? 

Yes it was common to grow your own veg even on smaller plots aged 5 I was helping my dad and stuck a garden fork through my big toe helping him this was in a garden on a terrace.it’s not worth the hastle now has veg is that cheap .

Just now, CVG said:

You've forgotten the taste of fresh fruit and veg!

Got strawberries grapes and apples in the fridge ok you will say they are bland however after 20 years of smokeing and nealy 40 of drinking to much I’ve got little sense of taste

19 hours ago, Hancock said:

That's a "rough" part of Salisbury (all things are relative, of course).

16 hours ago, King Penda said:

Yes it was common to grow your own veg even on smaller plots aged 5 I was helping my dad and stuck a garden fork through my big toe helping him this was in a garden on a terrace.it’s not worth the hastle now has veg is that cheap .

Can't remember who said it but you can also tell how old people are based on their attitude to growing veg. A lot of boomers consider it below them to grow their own food. It's what their parents did, but they are more refined and take the easier option of just buying it in, completely ignoring the health benefits.

I've always thought if boomers could grow their own wine easily we'd have vineyards everywhere ;) 

16 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

The housing estate I grew up on was built from 1954 to 1965. The 2 types of low rise flats built differ. I think they started off building maisonette type flats, where the ground floor ones had their own front garden and all flats had a share of a plot of back garden at the rear. Well thought out imo.

However, it seemed that as the 1950s drew on the city architect David Percival (Norwich Housing) decided to go with a new design where the gardens at the front were shared and at the rear it was just a concrete yard. Perhaps private gardens were not desired or looked after by low earning tenants? Less people rearing livestock?

From this style (from a different estate) :

Maisonette with no communal door and separate gardens

To this style:

Smaller plot £160k

Screenshot_20220119-121617.png

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Can't remember who said it but you can also tell how old people are based on their attitude to growing veg. A lot of boomers consider it below them to grow their own food. It's what their parents did, but they are more refined and take the easier option of just buying it in, completely ignoring the health benefits.

I've always thought if boomers could grow their own wine easily we'd have vineyards everywhere ;) 

Yes my dad and mum were brought up dureing ww2 my mums family kept chickens pigs etc .rationing went on until into the 50s.and my mum was brought up in a multi generation house 

2 hours ago, Don Coglione said:

That's a "rough" part of Salisbury (all things are relative, of course).

I can imagine Salisbury has got its roughians and inbreds that you'd sooner keep away from and not want your kid to live next door to.

I moved to Bournemouth aged 13 and despite its full employment, no heavy industry, no deprivation ... the natives do like to waltz around as if they're from the ghetto, had a rough and tough upbringing and are bad to the bone. There is a pikey population that live in houses there, and have done for generations, who seem to have convinced non Pikeys to talk in that shite Pikey accent and behave in a Pikey kind of manner!

.... to pay £300,000 to live next door to such thick cunts, who aren't bright enough to be criminals is not something i'd contemplate!

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Where will the property bubble burst first...on the stock exchange is perhaps the answer

I have been noticing listings marked as reduced, when in fact it's a price rise. Thought it was odd, glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

Estate agents are using more and more backhand tactics these days, such as listing properties as sold on social media before listing, etc.

HousePriceMania
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I have been noticing listings marked as reduced, when in fact it's a price rise. Thought it was odd, glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

Estate agents are using more and more backhand tactics these days, such as listing properties as sold on social media before listing, etc.

I've tweeted to Rightmove/ASA/BBC Watchdog/The FCA/NAEA/Trading Standards for 2 years about this, so far nothing.

The Estate Agents seem to have friends in high places, as per the, keeping them open whilst shutdown during a dangerous pandemic....

Not quite sure where to post this, but Paul Shamplina today stated that the average age of a 1st time buyer is now 45.

Two things. Firstly that removes the chances of extending mortgage terms to even longer dates, and secondly, if that is the average many will be 50+.

Does that suggest that nowadays, especially in the south, you need to wait for your inheritance to buy a house?

HousePriceMania
Just now, Bobthebuilder said:

@HousePriceMania

This nugget is re listed as reduced again today. As far as I can tell this is now the third time it's been reduced, but the price has remained the same at £950k.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114593033#/?channel=RES_BUY

This must be illegal surely?

Im getting this

Blandford Road, Wimborne, BH21

See map

£950,000
Price Change History
05/01/2022 Price changed from £998,500 to £950,000
30/12/2021 Price changed from £1,030,000 to £998,500
28/12/2021 Price changed from £1,050,000 to £1,030,000
26/12/2021 Price changed from £1,075,000 to £1,050,000
19/12/2021 Price changed from £1,029,000 to £1,075,000
10/12/2021 Price changed from £1,050,000 to £1,029,000
06/12/2021 Price changed from £1,018,024 to £1,050,000
26/11/2021 Price changed from £1,038,800 to £1,018,024
15/11/2021 Price changed from £1,060,000 to £1,038,800
01/11/2021 Price changed from £1,090,000 to £1,060,000
10/10/2021 Initial entry found: £1,090,000

Bobthebuilder
5 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Purple Bricks are not the strictest company in ensuring their RM tabs are correct AFAICT

It came up in my search today as reduced on the 25/01/2022.

What a bunch of scumbags.

HousePriceMania
6 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

It came up in my search today as reduced on the 25/01/2022.

What a bunch of scumbags.

Could be no one's looked at that area with PropertyLog.  Chances are it fell through, they raised the relisted price and then dropped it again.

Chancers the lot of them.  I tried to get someone to take RM to task but no one is interested, it's scamtastic

Joncrete Cungle
On 19/01/2022 at 12:29, King Penda said:

Yes my dad and mum were brought up dureing ww2 my mums family kept chickens pigs etc .rationing went on until into the 50s.and my mum was brought up in a multi generation house 

My great grandad and grandad on my dad's side of the family had home made multi story rabbit hutches in the back yards of their terraced housing. The job of collecting enough grass / leaves to feed the rabbits was the children's job before school and again on the way home.

Almost free source of renewable protein and the rabbit muck from the hutches was used on the allotment.

Bobthebuilder
35 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Could be no one's looked at that area with PropertyLog

I have just added property log to my browser, hopefully my searches might add some data going forward.

Archived