DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Compulsory vaccination

Surrounded by idiots

35% of the population of Austria are not fully vaccinated, that's around 3 Million people.

I wonder how they will react to this?

• Agree 2

desertorchid
1 minute ago, muggle said:

35% of the population of Austria are not fully vaccinated, that's around 3 Million people.

For the first time I am interested in a Twitter account, to see how some Austrians deal with this.

hapax legomenon

Blimey, the mask slips. Gives me time to think what I would do if/when the vaccine is mandatory in the UK.

• Agree 8

Frank Hovis

My jaw dropped on reading that.

I would hope that it's yet another empty threat but it isn't couched in those terms.

How do they actually intend to do this? Mass arrests?

There will be riots.

Days after Austria imposed a lockdown on the unvaccinated, it has announced a full national Covid-19 lockdown starting on Monday.

Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said it would last at least 10 days and there would be a legal requirement to get vaccinated from 1 February 2022.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59343650

• Agree 3

The Generation Game

This news does make me want to look closer into the corruption that saw Sebastian Kurz removed from his position as Chancellor, twice. 

The Ibiza affair (German: Ibiza-Affäre), also known as Ibiza-gate,[2] was a political scandal in Austria involving Heinz-Christian Strache, the former vice chancellor of Austria and leader of the Freedom Party (FPÖ), and Johann Gudenus, a deputy leader of the Freedom Party.

The scandal was triggered on 17 May 2019 by the publication of a secretly recorded video, which was commissioned by Iranian-born lawyer Ramin Mirfakhrai[3][4][5][6][7] (Persian: رامین میرفخرایی‎),[8] of a meeting in Ibiza, Spain in July 2017, which appears to show the then opposition politicians Strache and Gudenus discussing their party's underhanded practices and intentions.[9][10][11] In the video, both politicians appeared receptive to proposals by a woman calling herself Alyona Makarova, who was posing as a niece of Russian businessman Igor Makarov,[12] discussing providing the FPÖ with positive news coverage in return for government contracts. Strache and Gudenus also hinted at corrupt political practices involving other wealthy donors to the FPÖ in Europe and elsewhere.

The scandal caused the collapse of the Austrian governing coalition on 18 May 2019 and the announcement of an early election.[13][14] In a no-confidence vote on 27 May, Sebastian Kurz was voted out of office as Austrian chancellor by Parliament, and on 28 May a caretaker government was appointed. Elections were set for 29 September.[15] In 2020, a partial transcript of the video was published by the public prosecutor's office. In the new material, Strache had refused the decoy's offer and doing anything illegal.[16]

The revelation swiftly lead to national and international condemnation. The following day both, Strache and Gudenus, resigned from all positions. Kurz supported keeping the cabinet on the condition that Herbert Kickl be replaced.[105][106][107] As Interior Minister, Kick (a member of the FPÖ) would have overseen the investigation into Strache and Gudenus. Additionally, following the revelation, Kickl quickly moved to appoint his close ally, Peter Goldgruber, director general for Public Security – the supreme authority of Austrian law enforcement – thus causing further controversy and public concern. The FPÖ rejected Kurz ultimatum. As a result, Kurz suspended the coalition agreement and asked President Van der Bellen to remove Kickl from office; the president assented.[108][109][110] Following Kickl's removal, the remaining FPÖ ministers tendered their resignation, formally ending the coalition.[111][112][113] Kurz filled the vacancies they left with technocrats.[114]

By ending the coalition, Kurz no longer commanded a majority in Parliament.[115] On 27 May, the SPÖ became the first party to officially introduce a motion of no confidence against the entire cabinet (including Kurz).[116][117] With the concurrence of JETZT and the FPÖ, the resolution received sufficient support to pass.[118][119][120][121] In the history of Austrian republicanism, it was the first motion of no confidence against a chancellor and the entire cabinet to be successful.[122] The next day, the president officially removed all cabinet members from office; although everyone, except for Kurz, was immediately re-appointed to serve in an acting capacity.[123] Finance Minister Hartwig Löger succeeded Kurz and served until he was replaced by Brigitte Bierlein and a caretaker cabinet less than a week later.[124][125]

In September 2019, the ÖVP won the 2019 legislative election in a landslide, receiving 1,789,417 votes and 37.5% of the total valid votes cast, enough for a wide plurality in the National Council.[126][127] Consequently, Kurz picked up an additional nine seats in parliament. It is the second consecutive election that the ÖVP emerged as the clear winner. As a result of the election, Kurz was again tasked with the formation of a new cabinet by President Alexander Van der Bellen on 7 October.[128] Throughout October, Kurz held several exploratory meetings with the SPÖ, the FPÖ, NEOS, and the Green Party, which had experienced a grand comeback in the 2019 legislative election, after having dropped out of the National Council following the 2017 election, and excluding the JETZT party, which failed to secure a minimum of 4 seats to obtain parliamentary representation. On 11 November, Kurz announced that the ÖVP would enter into coalition negotiations with the Green Party.[129]

At the end of December it was reported that coalition negotiations had concluded successfully. The program for the new cabinet was introduced to the general public on 2 January 2020.[130][131] The executive board of the ÖVP approved the coalition agreement the next day, the Green Party federal congress followed on 4 January.[132][133]

Kurz was sworn in as Chancellor by President Van der Bellen on 7 January 2020 at 10:00 UTC. Under the ÖVP–Greens coalition plans, Austria would aim to become carbon neutral by 2040, a decade earlier than an EU-wide target, and a pledge for all electricity to come from renewable sources by 2030 as well as more spending on public transport. The coalition deal also includes banning the headscarf in schools for girls up to age 14, an extension of the garment ban that applies until age 10 approved by lawmakers earlier this year. The agreement also revives a plan for "precautionary detention" of potentially dangerous asylum seekers.[134]

On 6 October 2021, agents of the Central Prosecutorial Agency for Corruption and Economic Affairs (WKStA) raided the Federal Chancellery and the headquarters of the ÖVP as part of a corruption probe targeting Kurz and his "inner circle".[141] Prosecutors allege that Kurz bribed news outlets in 2016 to make anti-Reinhold Mitterlehner propaganda. The bribery scheme aimed at ousting Mitterlehner who served as then-vice chancellor and chair of the ÖVP, so Kurz could take his place. In addition, the WKStA accused Kurz of misappropriating tax payer money, as bribes were allegedly diverted from Finance Ministry funds.[142]

Following the raid, opposition parties unanimously demanded Kurz' resignation and called a special session of the National Council to vote on a motion of no confidence. The Greens pondered supporting the motion if Kurz was unwilling to voluntarily step down but were also supportive of continuing the coalition cabinet if Kurz was replaced.[143] On 9 October 2021, Kurz resigned the chancellorship but announced his intentions to remain party chairman and assume direct leadership of the party in the National Council.[144][145][146][147] The Greens accepted Kurz' bargain, while opposition parties strongly condemned the move and said that Kurz would continue "pulling the strings".

On 11 October 2021, at 11:00 UTC,[c] President Alexander Van der Bellen officially removed Kurz from office and appointed his nominee then-Foreign Minister Alexander Schallenberg chancellor of Austria.[148][149][150]

Edited by The Generation Game
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 7

desertorchid
3 minutes ago, hapax legomenon said:

Blimey, the mask slips. Gives me time to think what I would do if/when the vaccine is mandatory in the UK.

The sliver of optimism I have left suggests they have made it 1st of Feb to give themselves breathing room and to u-turn on this if and when cases decline. The realist sees just yet more and more erosion of liberties across the globe.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My jaw dropped on reading that.

I would hope that it's yet another empty threat but it isn't couched in those terms.

How do they actually intend to do this? Mass arrests?

3 Million people? :D

• Agree 3

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, hapax legomenon said:

I don't think it wishful thinking on my part to say that it won't happen here.

Restrictions and lockdowns are coming back with full force in EU countries yet the UK government is reluctant to even go to the base level of masks in indoor public areas and working from home if you can.

There has always been major opposition to the kind of controls that are standard on the continent; we still aren't required to carry an ID card and that's fairly standard in the EU.

• Agree 9
  • Informative 1

hapax legomenon
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think it wishful thinking on my part to say that it won't happen here.

Restrictions and lockdowns are coming back with full force in EU countries yet the UK government is reluctant to even go to the base level of masks in indoor public areas and working from home if you can.

There has always been major opposition to the kind of controls that are standard on the continent; we still aren't required to carry an ID card and that's fairly standard in the EU.

Agreed but I could see it being trialed in one of the devolved nations first, Wales would be a good fit for this

• Agree 4

Wight Flight
9 minutes ago, muggle said:

Hop on a flight to Florida and legitimately claim asylum.

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1
  • Love 2

The Generation Game

Not to mention their presidential election. 

Presidential elections were held in Austria on 24 April 2016, with a second round run-off on 22 May 2016.[1] However, the results of the second round were annulled and a re-vote took place on 4 December 2016.[2][3]

In the first round of the election, Norbert Hofer of the Freedom Party of Austria (FPÖ) historically received the most votes. Alexander Van der Bellen, a member of the Austrian Greens contesting as an independent, placed second, also a historic success for a member of the Greens. The candidates of the two governing parties, the Social Democratic and Austrian People's parties, placed fourth and fifth respectively, behind independent Irmgard Griss in third place, which led to a government crisis and the resignation of Chancellor Werner Faymann. Since no candidate received a majority of the vote, Hofer and Van der Bellen went head-to-head in the second round in May. This was the first time since the Second World War that an Austrian president had not been backed by either the People's or the Social Democratic party.[4] During the run-off, Van der Bellen defeated Hofer on 23 May 2016 after the postal ballots had been counted.[5]

On 22 July, the results of the second round of voting were annulled after the results in 20 of the 117 administrative districts were challenged, and the Constitutional Court of Austria found that Austrian electoral law had been disregarded in 14 of them. The Court found that over 77,900 absentee votes were improperly counted too early, however without any indication of votes having been fraudulently manipulated.[6] The second round re-vote was planned on 2 October, but was postponed to 4 December 2016.[2][3]

Van der Bellen ultimately won the second round re-vote with 53.8% of the vote and a voter turnout of 74.2%.[7] Hofer conceded the race to Van der Bellen when the result had become apparent shortly after polls closed.[8] Van der Bellen was sworn in as the twelfth president of Austria on 26 January 2017.[9]

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

The Generation Game
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Hop on a flight to Florida and legitimately claim asylum.

Make for the Polish-Belarussian border? 

• Lol 1

19 minutes ago, moneyscam said:

If I've understood this correctly, the lockdown now also applies to vaxxed as well. You would hope this would cause some of them to feel like fools now and to start having serious doubts about what is going on.

Apparently the police union is not happy and might not enforce the governments diktat. Huge demo planned for tomorrow. Hopefully we see a substantial number of coppers there tomorrow to make the government reconsider.

Well that didn't last long. If the vax was so great why didn't they give it longer than a day. It sounds like the plan all along unless they knew it was just impossible to police.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Mouse said:

Why are they all so desperate to get us vaccinated, iIt's just not normal! :(

Hide the data from the control group.

Which is what Pfizer did with the trial.

Edited by onlyme
  • Agree 10